Port Everglades U-Turn Mid Day???

creed205

Strange question but I am curious none the less. I happened to peak at the PE webcam and noticed that the Ruby which is docked today was leaving the pier at 11:10am! WHAT????

So much to my boss's shagrin I am sure - I kept an eye on it.

It would appear that during the night it came into port - did u-turn and docked facing south. Then at 11:10 this morning they pulled out and switched her around facing north towards the bridge.

Why would they do that? Why not 1- face north when they came in, or 2- just leave this evening facing south.

Instead of having to turn around only once they have done it 3 times.

Curious :)

Strange question but I am curious none the less. I happened to peak at the PE webcam and noticed that the Ruby which is docked today was leaving the pier at 11:10am! WHAT????

So much to my boss's shagrin I am sure - I kept an eye on it.

It would appear that during the night it came into port - did u-turn and docked facing south. Then at 11:10 this morning they pulled out and switched her around facing north towards the bridge.

Why would they do that? Why not 1- face north when they came in, or 2- just leave this evening facing south.

Instead of having to turn around only once they have done it 3 times.

Curious :)

Probably the Coast Guard wanted them to test their lifeboats or some such...

Same thing happened on the 1/9/2014 Ruby cruise. While we were waiting to board in the Elite lounge we saw the ship starting to move. Several people got up and started questioning the attendants. They advised the ship was just being turned around.

When we originally arrived the ship bow was facing 17th Street bridge. When we boarded the bow was facing toward the channel cut out to sea.

I've seen this in port on port days, not just embarkation. There are a number of reasons. The ones I've seen were due to repositioning the ships after initial disembarkation to facilitate sailaway. Ships might be scheduled to sail in an order different from their arrival time. In any case, it's usually due to the harbormaster who controls where, when and what time ships arrive and sail.