Heating Pad

Janice Jones

My DH and i are sailing on the Noordam on Feb.28th. I sometimes use a heating pad if my back acts up and wonder if this is permissible on the ship. I definitely do not want to do anything that might cause a problem. In the past, you have been a wonderful help with my questions and it has been appreciated. Thanks for your help in this matter.

I have used one on both HAL and Princess ships with no problem. Obviously, care should be taken. I not only turn it off, but unplug it when not in use. I make no effort to hide it from the room stewards and nothing has ever been said.

My mother packs Therma-care heat wraps. They are single use, but there is no danger of fire or need to worry about cords.

I use a washcloth or hand towel soaked in hot water if I am having back aches. It's not as good as my wheatbag at home, but easier to handle on trips.

You would need a long extension cord which is not recommended for a heating pad. My BFF had one catch on fire while it was resting on the bed in her home. :eek: I would not take one cruising because of this.

There are extension cords that are rated for high amperage devices like a heating pad but these are not your typical tiny white cords you use for a lamp. These cords are heavy duty and about as big around a finger....a good sized finger....and even in the shortage length I have, which is 15 feet, they're heavy, way heavier than you'd want to haul on a cruise especially if you're flying to get there. :)

You would need a long extension cord which is not recommended for a heating pad. My BFF had one catch on fire while it was resting on the bed in her home. :eek: I would not take one cruising because of this.

I agree with you some heating pads are dangerous.. However my heating pad not only has a long cord which can be plugged directly into the desk outlet, but it also has an auto-timer which turns itself off.. That is the only kind I would use on a ship & I too take it on cruises, as it helps my back pain..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I lean toward safety on this one. A couple of boxes of the single use heat wraps would be no heavier for air travel than a heating pad and a whole lot safer on board a ship. There is also the option of the thermal suite with the thermal pool and the wonderful tile loungers.