San Pedro in LA/Luggage

MoyCoy

I have posted this question on the West Coast Departure Thread, But indeed thought it would be smart to post the question here as well... Especially since it has to do with Princess .

I will be departing from the Sapphire March 15th and have a 400PM domestic flight from LAX. I wonder what is the earliest and latest time one can depart from the Sapphire? Also I wonder if Princess offers a option for those with late flights as far as luggage storage is concerned. I was interested in taking the redline, but would have no where to store our luggage. Any suggestions?

And lastly, How long does it normally take Princess transportation to get you to the airport? I am concerned about traffic in LA

This is my first cruise with Princess and my first time sailing from LA. Thank You in Advance

Edited by MoyCoy

Welcome to Princess!

You are right to be concerned with LA traffic! I would not book a flight departing LA earlier than noon or even 1:00 just in case. It takes, on a good day, about 45 minutes from San Pedro to LAX. The latest you can disembark is around 10:30... The earliest around 7:30 or 8:00 am.0

As far as luggage I can't help you since we live in the LA area!

Have a great cruise. The Sapphire is wonderful!

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

If the airline on which you are flying out of LAX is part of the luggage valet program I would highly recommend it. They will take your luggage (except what you want to hand carry) from outside your cabin the last night and you won't have to deal with it again until you reach your final destination. They even print out your boarding passes and deliver them to your cabin.

If the airline on which you are flying out of LAX is part of the luggage valet program I would highly recommend it. They will take your luggage (except what you want to hand carry) from outside your cabin the last night and you won't have to deal with it again until you reach your final destination. They even print out your boarding passes and deliver them to your cabin.

Just to avoid confusion, the program is called EZ Air. It isn't a luggage valet service.

Check to see if it offered with your airline (not all airlines qualify).

Luggage Valet is a literally door-to-door shipping service where your luggage is picked up at your cabin and delivered to your home; or, vice versa, picked up at your home and delivered to the ship. I think prices start at $95/bag.

EZ Check is a service provided at a few US ports whereby you put your luggage outside your cabin door, it's taken to your airline and you don't see it until baggage claim at your destination. Princess checks you in and prints your airline tag and boarding pass. Cost is $20/pp.

That said, two of the ports where I haven't seen this offered is NY and LA. :(

I have posted this question on the West Coast Departure Thread, But indeed thought it would be smart to post the question here as well... Especially since it has to do with Princess .

I will be departing from the Sapphire March 15th and have a 400PM domestic flight from LAX. I wonder what is the earliest and latest time one can depart from the Sapphire? Also I wonder if Princess offers a option for those with late flights as far as luggage storage is concerned. I was interested in taking the redline, but would have no where to store our luggage. Any suggestions?

And lastly, How long does it normally take Princess transportation to get you to the airport? I am concerned about traffic in LA

This is my first cruise with Princess and my first time sailing from LA. Thank You in Advance

30-45 minutes on a good day. ;)

Thank you Nina and Pam for the clarification. I knew one was door-to-door and the other was ship to final airport--I just couldn't remember the names. The E-Z Air would be a good way to get rid of your luggage while in L.A. . . .if only they offered it. :o

I've flown out of LAX at 1130 (to Vancouver) on a Wednesday morning from San Pedro. Our pick-up using ExecuCar was scheduled for 810 am (730 Dock time) We were able to make it to LAX in about 25 minutes, and although it is possible I would probably book a late afternoon flight the next time as you could take your time with everything and not feel rushed especially since it is your first time sailing out of LA, on a related note our cruise into San Francisco was delayed by close to 3 hours due to bad weather so not having a buffer could be disastrous to your travel plans.

I was interested in taking the redline, but would have no where to store our luggage.

If you are taking the Redline to go to some other destination in your free time late morning or early afternoon, that is ok. Note the the Redline does not go from the Port to LAX. The only way is by street vehicle - bus, shuttle, taxi, car, etc. Or of course walking for several hours...

Pam is the luggage transfer available from the Sapphire to the airlines (United) on disembarkation?
I've lived here in SoCal for several years now and drive to/from the port so I'm not as aware of whether there's EZ Check or not. When I was on the Sapphire in January, there was no EZ Check form delivered to cabins and no EZ Check on the disembarkation times list so I assumed it's not offered. :(

I've lived here in SoCal for several years now and drive to/from the port so I'm not as aware of whether there's EZ Check or not. When I was on the Sapphire in January, there was no EZ Check form delivered to cabins and no EZ Check on the disembarkation times list so I assumed it's not offered. :(

Last April there was no EZ Check on a Golden Hawaii cruise disembarking in San Pedro. I even double checked with the front desk. They told me it had been discontinued by the airlines because of the great number of times the luggage didn't make it to the airport on time to be loaded on the plane.

Last April there was no EZ Check on a Golden Hawaii cruise disembarking in San Pedro. I even double checked with the front desk. They told me it had been discontinued by the airlines because of the great number of times the luggage didn't make it to the airport on time to be loaded on the plane.

Thats too bad, thanks. :(

They told me it had been discontinued by the airlines because of the great number of times the luggage didn't make it to the airport on time to be loaded on the plane.
I can understand that at LAX. So many people post that they've made early flights with no problems yet the locals generally say, "Don't do it." We know how easy and frequent it is for one fender bender to bring the entire highway to a standstill, even on weekends. In the LA area, there really is no commuter time -- it's busy and crowded all the time. Traffic is either bad or worse.

LAX recommends checking in for a domestic flight within two hours of departure, three hours for an international flight, even Canada. That's checked in, not on line. I can't tell you how many times I've driven in the area and my GPS has started by saying 22 minutes only to have it take over an hour.

I flew out of LAX many times before moving here and I always booked a flight after Noon. I'd rather sit and wait than stress and possibly miss my flight. I think in order to make EZ Check reliable in LA, people would have to book flights after 2:30pm.

Edited by Pam in CA

If you are taking the Redline to go to some other destination in your free time late morning or early afternoon, that is ok. Note the the Redline does not go from the Port to LAX. The only way is by street vehicle - bus, shuttle, taxi, car, etc. Or of course walking for several hours...

If you have any luggage (even if you manage to squeeze everything into a carryon), I wouldn't use the commuter train, like the Red/Orange/etc. lines. They don't service every area (my daughter and some friends were going on the train from the San Fernando Valley to Pomona to the county fair, and they had to be dropped off a distance away as the closest line wasn't operational at that time, and on the way back home, they ended up being a couple of hours behind due to mechanical problems).

So the practical ways to get from port to airport will be taxi or a shuttle (like Execucar).

If you want to spend some time before heading to the airport, you can consider getting to Long Beach (again, taxi or a shuttle) and see the Aquarium of the Pacific. It's excellent, and they'll hold your luggage at the front desk while you check out the exhibits. You can grab lunch there,or use the free local shuttle and go to the nearby Shoreline Village, then return, check out the lorikeets at the Aquarium and then go to LAX.

Hi , I agree with Pam , you need extra time here in LA , it just takes one fender bender on one of the freeways, especially the 405, to cause major traffic jams , allow your self plenty of time, and the shuttle or something like that is the best bet ,public transport like the red line is not a good option, it doesn't connect with the port at all. Have lived here all my life and I ALWAYS allow extra time, and I am only 20 min. from the port. If you plan another trip out this way , you might consider Long Beach Airport, easy peasy to get to and from and closer to the San Pedro port facility. Have a great cruise.

Cori

The Red Line isn't anywhere near San Pedro, it runs from Union Station to North Hollywood. metro.net

Could you mean the Pacific Electric "Red Car" Line? If so there is no easy way to carry luggage onboard, unless you are packing in a small duffle bag. Can be done for a four day cruise.

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/redcar.htm

Might want to see if Sunseeker tours has an option for you with a drop-off at LAX.

Unfortunately, using public transportation of any kind in LA is a bad idea when you're trying to get to the airport. It's not like any other 'normal' city in this respect.

Take a taxi at $57.00 (as of last fall) and get another couple to share in the fare with you if you want.

Or, if you have the time, rent a car, stop at a few sites and then return the car at LAX. You'll have your bags with you and the freedom to choose what you want to do and can change your timeline if traffic is bad.