Fishing excursion in May - Ketchikan

jomaleo

Hello, husband and I will be cruising with Princess cruise in May and we are interested in a Fishing excursion in Ketchikan but are not sure if May is a good month for fishing, we heard that the fishing season is only starting in June. Anyone went to alaska in May on a fishing tour ? Feedback will be appreciated. Thank you

We were there the first week of June a couple years ago and my husband caught a huge salmon-well for that time of the year. A fishing contest had been held the weekend before we had arrived and we were told that his would have won the contest. We had a great time and used Northern lights fishing charters. Ken was awesome. http://www.ketchikanfishing.net/ken/

We were there in late May and didn't catch anything, but Northern Lights were GREAT! He will cut up bait fish and whistle for the Bald Eagles and they swoop down on the water to get the fish! Best pictures we ever got. We went in Sept also and that was wonderful fishing. We caught rock fish, & salmon. Had it shipped right to the house when we got home. BEST TIME EVER!!

Happy cruising,

Pam

It was many years ago when i did the fishing excursion. Be aware of a couple of things, I don't think they have changed.

1. The limit is one fish. There were four of us on our trip and the staff was friendly etc. But after we got our one salmon (25 pounds whole) it was back to port. All of our hookups were legal 2 got salmon and two got smallish halibut. You cannot release and hope for larger.

2. They exchange the catch with canned salmon since you cannot take the fish back on the ship. When we did it, we were allowed to take the fillets home. The ship kept it in the freezer for us. No longer done.

3. You can ship the fillets home but it is expensive.

4. I fish for lake rainbow trout and use a 2 pound leader. It's a sport to land an 8 pound fish this way. I also use barbless hooks to add to the difficulty. Not done in Alaska. Wire line and leaders, once the fish is hooked it isn't going anywhere. Was not a challenge at all.

Just my 2 pennies worth.