Best Seattle Hotel for Cascade Train?

Hi!!

We are looking for hotel suggestions in Seattle as our flight arrives at SeaTac at 9:00pm and are going to go on the 7:45am Cascade Amtrak the next day. Would it be better to stay at an airport hotel for those few hours or stayat a hotel by the train station?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

We are planning to do the same thing as you. We arrive in seattle alittle

earlier then you so I think we are going to stay in downtown. From my research you get a much better rate at the airport hotels but the drive in

the morning could be more traffic. What day of week are you taking the train.

If its a weekend then maybe an airport hotel would be ok. Im interested in reading what the local seatlle people recommend myself.

HLP

Hi! -

Guess we're in the same "boat" so to speak. In 2 weeks we are arriving on Friday night and leaving on Amtrak on early Saturday morning. Even though it is cheaper to stay near the airport, it might be more of a hassle for us (party of 4 - 2 adults and 2 kids who are hard to get up in the morning ;)! ) than the actual money savings. I've looked into the Best Western Pioneer Square Hotel (best rate $160 +tax) which seems to be the closest to the Train Station all others nearby seem to be boutique hotels that are more expensive. Also looked into the Moore Hotel - less expensive, good reviews, "simple European quaintness" area again in question, no A/C, but for me too much of a gamble even for a few hours. Right now I have a Grand Hyatt reservation, which I had booked before we decided on the Cascade train - at a rate of $165 (using a Hyatt Gift Premier Certificate that one can purchase) and it seems like a great rate considering that the actual rates I have gotten for that hotel are MUCH higher.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated from anyone out there!

Thanks!!!

Melissa

Closest to King Street Station is Best Western Pioneer Square. It is actually within distance. Downtown is about 2 miles away and any number of hotels/motels down there. I'm not so sure who gave the Moore Hotel good reviews, but I don't think I would stay there. The neighborhood leaves a LOT to be desired and I ought to know, because I walk right by every morning at 0400 on my way to work. Grand Hyatt is nice, but pricy. In another 9 months there will be a Silver Cloud Inn right across the street from Safeco Field, about 2 blocks from the train station. If you have not done it before, the Cascades to Vancouver is a great trip. Enjoy.

Thanks SeattleCruiseLover for you honesty - we really appreciate it!!

The reviews I have found were on Tripadvisor.com another travel site. Where would you stay? Should we keep our reservation or make one for the Pioneer Square Best Western? BTW, how far (in miles and commute time) is the Grand Hyatt is to the train station and should we stay there - or is there a better place to check out. It seems like our choices are unfortunately limited in that area until new one are built (unless they are magically going up in 2 weeks ;) !!!

Thanks again for all your help!!

Melissa

Hi again SeattleCruiselover -

I Just think I answered one of my own questions - I mapquested the addresses of the Grand Hyatt and the train station and it seems it is 1.25 miles to get from place to place in about 5 minutes. Does this seem right to you?

Thanks again!!

Melissa

Melissa: The Grand Hyatt is a good hotel, and should be about $5 give or take for taxi fare to the train station. If I were you, I would just keep the reservation you have. It is the height of tourist season until about the end of September and rooms are hard to come by and expensive. Get to the train station early, because they start checking passports and such about an hour prior to boarding.

SeattleCruiselover:

Thanks for the helpful hints about getting there early and the suggestion that I should keep the reservation at the Grand Hyatt - I just wish we could enjoy the hotel and the surrounding area before we leave. However, we are planning to go to Seattle for the day on our way back at the end of our cruise. Perhaps you could also give us suggestions what to do. We are going to rent a car from Vancouver as soon as we get off the ship (minivan) and then are hoping to drive straight to Seattle, do some key sights, the Seattle Needle, waterfront, etc... (unfortunately it will be Sunday and I believe that the Pike Market will be closed). Any ideas on where to park the van with our bags in a safe and centrally located place for touring, ideas for dining, etc..would be greatly appreciated as later that day we will be travelling to the airport and catching a 9:40 flight out that night.

Thanks again!

Melissa

There are a number of parking garages right in the downtown area, and on Sunday you shouldn't have much trouble finding a spot. There is one located just west of Macy's, I think on 3rd avenue, which would be handy for both the shopping area (including the monorail which you should take to the Seattle Center) and the waterfront.

Thanks Ellya!

We will definitely look check out that garage and surrounding area. BTW, I just went on the Pike Place market website and they are open on Sunday from 11am-5pm. Would we also be able to go visit there from that location - how does the monorail work? Do they have commuter day passes, or is it better to walk to some areas from there? Suggestions for restaurants nearby that are "typical/famous for something", etc ., would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Melissa

Round trip ticket on the monorail is $3 per person. I believe the only pass they have is a monthly, which would be prohibitively expensive for your one day trip. Buses, on the other hand, have a $2.50 day pass on the weekend, but much of what you want to see is also in the free ride zone downtown (don't have to pay at all within that zone) though the Space Needle (which is right across the street from where I live) is not. Day passes also work on the waterfront street car which goes from the International District (near King Street Station) all the way to the end of the main portion of the waterfront, including Pioneer Square and the stops for the Public Market, Aquarium, Harbor Tour and such.

Melissa,

Please let us know how the whole Seattle experience

went for you when you return. Since Im doing the same

thing I would like to know any tips you would recommend.

Especially involving Amtrak,like what to do when you arrive at the station.

Have a great trip.

HLP

If you haven't checked it out already, you might want to check out the website for the Amtrak Cascades route:

www.amtrakcascades.com

It's got a little more info about the route than the regular Amtrak site. I take the Cascades home from work every night (I live in Edmonds, the first stop after Seattle). My train doesn't go as far as Vancouver, just to Bellingham, and it's rarely crowded, so there's no assigned seating, you just go out the door and get on the train and they take your ticket after the train has left Seattle. But I think the Vancouver train is usually a lot more crowded, so they usually do assigned seating on that one. If you already have your tickets in hand, you'll line up with the other bazillion people not at the ticket desk, but at a little white stand, where they look at your ticket and put a sticker on it with your seat assignment. Then you go board the train. I think they start handing out seat assignments about a half-hour before the train leaves, but I'm not usually there at the station that early so I could be wrong about the timing.

If you can, upgrade to business class. It's only $10 more, and it guarantees you a seat on the train if it's oversold (which does happen, especially on days when cruises are leaving from Vancouver), whereas if you're not in business class, you could end up on a bus instead. Plus you get extra legroom and a $3 voucher for use in the snack bar. I'm not usually one to go for business class, but I think it's worth it on runs that might be oversold.

The train station itself is still fairly dumpy. They've finally started renovating it, but it's nowhere near done. I think they've got a coffee stand in there now, but besides that and the vending machines, you'll have to wait to eat until you get onboard, or bring food with you.

Oh, one other thing: don't panic if your northbound train starts out by going southbound. They're just backing up in order to switch tracks. Every evening on my train, some newbie gets freaked out because the train is going the wrong way. The first time I took the train after work, I was the freaked-out newbie. :D Eventually the train stops and then goes the right direction.

Business class very much worth the extra money on the YVR run. More leg room, fewer seats, expedited boarding. Coming early is paramount if you are in regular seating. The doors of the station open at 6 am, they start checking in between 6:30 and 6:45 and start boarding business class shortly after 7 am. It is a wonderful trip with lots of great scenery, and much less stressful than driving or taking the bus. You can get up and walk about. Bring headphones, the movie is free if you do and often first run or shortly after first run films.

Karen, good tip about the headphones for the movie. They'll sell (or rent?) you headphones for $4 if you forget your own, but bringing your own is a better idea. On the evening train, the current movie is Ice Princess, starring Kim Cattral, Joan Cusack, and Michelle Trachtenburg (who played Dawn on Buffy the Vampire Slayer). I've seen the first 20 minutes of it about 20 times now, since the ride to Edmonds only takes 25 minutes. :D I'm not sure if the morning train would show the same movie.

This is what we did and it worked out great. We got a hotel near the airport through Priceline for $35. It was the Doubletree...and the hotel was nice. Really comfy beds and very clean. They have a free airport shuttle. Shuttle was quick. It was no problem getting two double beds...there were four of us. The only negative was the room was a fairly good distance from the lobby...but was not a problem for us for $35. Called concierge that evening and he ordered a limo for us the following AM to take us to the Amtrak station.

The cost of the limo for the four of us was $35. We arrived at the station in plenty of time...about an hour before departure. Checked in, then weighed bags and checked them in. About 15 minutes before boarding they had you get in line for seat assignments. We had made reservations for Business Class. As others have stated, I would highly recommend this. Lots of room, first to board, and first to get off....which means the first to go through customs....and first to the ship!!! The movie a couple weeks ago was Beauty Shop. Very scenic route. Customs was a breeze. No problem getting a taxi to the ship. Plan on having breakfast on the train....the waiter/cook is a hoot!! Just a fun experience...prices are not too bad...business class passengers will get a coupon for a couple dollars off. I would try to eat with the first group, otherwise your wait will be another 1 1/2 hours.

Calikik,

Thanks for the information boarding the train. That was exactly what I was looking for. I hate getting to a strange

busy place not knowing where to go. You also explained

about the seating. I was wondering why there were no seat numbers on the tickets. We already were booked in business class you confirmed a good decision.

So basically you just line up at the track entrance with ticket in hand. We are a party of 5 so I hope we all get seated together.

Thanks again

HLP

HLP, be sure to check in to get your seat assignment together, and they'll seat you together if they can. In business class, there's one seat on one side of the aisle and two on the other, so probably they'll seat you 2, 2, and 1.

• 7 months later...

What a wonderful, informative thread for us Amtrak virgins! I have one other potentially silly question for the more experienced train travelers....on the 7:45 am Seattle/Vancouver train, do they also stop at the in-between towns?

Even though our trip is not until September, we have already nick-named it our "Planes, Trains, Automobiles, and a Big Ole Boat Vacation"! Can't wait to cram all that into less than a week......what an ADVENTURE!

Is the waterfront streetcar still running - i thought I read on one of the Seattle TV stations web site that the streetcar would be out of service because of work being done on the Alaskan Viaduct and also is the Monorail back in service yet?

Cheers from Vancouver and good luck to the Huskies in the final 16

Dennis

Dennis, the waterfront streetcar is no longer running, but it's been replaced by a free bus that runs the same route and is painted to look a bit like the old streetcars. It's route #99.

The Monorail is tentatively scheduled to restart service in July. In the meantime, you can use bus route #3 or #4, which stop on 5th Avenue by Seattle Center and on 3rd Avenue in downtown.

What a wonderful, informative thread for us Amtrak virgins! I have one other potentially silly question for the more experienced train travelers....on the 7:45 am Seattle/Vancouver train, do they also stop at the in-between towns?

Even though our trip is not until September, we have already nick-named it our "Planes, Trains, Automobiles, and a Big Ole Boat Vacation"! Can't wait to cram all that into less than a week......what an ADVENTURE!

Yes, they do stop at the in-between towns on the 7:45 train. It stops in Edmonds, Everett, Mount Vernon, and Bellingham, but just long enough to let people on and off, no more than 5 minutes usually.

Since this thread was originally about hotels near the Amtrak station, I also wanted to add that they're currently building a Silver Cloud hotel right by the two stadiums that'll be fairly close to the stadiums. I think that's also the closest hotel to Terminal 30. Their website says it's opening "summer 2006" but I don't have any more specific info than that. Here's a map:

http://www.silvercloud.com/16location.htm

Archived