we booked the 7 night Scan Russia Cruise! Now lots of questions!

GLOCKer

Great! I'll look them up. Thank you!

I know there is a lot to do in St, Petersburg, but seeing the Red Square is kind of important to me. I am a child of the 80's (I'm relatively young at 34 yrs old), and I grew up overseas on Air Force bases, so the Cold War was a huge part of my life. As a teenager, I got to visit Berlin and see Cold War related sites, and for me, it was an amazing experience. To be able to stand in Moscow! Now that to me would be worth missing a chunk of St. Petersburg and dealing with a busy, tiring travel day!

We have a friend who did a day excursion from St. Petersburg to Moscow. He loved it and would do it again. I certainly undersatand the desire especially when you're so close. I was in Moscow in 1976 and the leg of our trip to "Leningrad" was cancelled. I've been wanting to get there ever since!

I purchased my GLOCK 27 for carry of duty and as an on duty backup. I originally carried it on my boot, but after a foot chase through a creek, I started carrying it on my body armor.

For off duty carry it conceals well IWB, but I ended up buying a Kahr PM9 (9mm) gor pocket carry. It's nice being able to throw a 9mm in my pocket!

The GLOCK 27 shoots well but does buck a little more. I use a one finger grip extension on it, which help out.

I hear ya. I used to carry my backup on my foot until I got into a fight over my side arm with a suspect and couldn't get to my backup weapon because I was putting all my pressure on my side while trying to deter him from getting it out of my holster. Couldn't reach down to my feet.

I had my wife sow a holder on my vest and I keep my backup there now. Have tested it out in mock scuffles and I can get to it without a hitch now!

I'm heading out tomorrow to test shoot the GLOCK 27. If all goes well, I will buy one. DW says that it means we won't be able to go up to a JS or GS on our future cruise....We shall see about that!!! :D:D

I hear ya. I used to carry my backup on my foot until I got into a fight over my side arm with a suspect and couldn't get to my backup weapon because I was putting all my pressure on my side while trying to deter him from getting it out of my holster. Couldn't reach down to my feet.

I had my wife sow a holder on my vest and I keep my backup there now. Have tested it out in mock scuffles and I can get to it without a hitch now!

I'm heading out tomorrow to test shoot the GLOCK 27. If all goes well, I will buy one. DW says that it means we won't be able to go up to a JS or GS on our future cruise....We shall see about that!!! :D:D

I love this tangent! LOL

I designed a duty knife with a close friend of mine from work, loosely based on the Gurkha kukri, that is designed to be worn behind the mag pouch on the belt just for the situation you described!

What did you think of the GLOCK 27?

This is an insane tour. It is listed as 18.5 hours and the ship is not scheduled to dock until 9am, meaning you'll be lucky to get back to the ship by 4am the following day. There is way more to do in Moscow than is possible in the few hours the tour will actually be there. Two days will just skim the top attractions of St. Petersburg; expecting to be in shape to do much of anything in St. Petersbrug after a 4am return from Moscow is pretty optimistic. Why pay the money for a cruise to St. Petersburg (one of the most expensive routes out there) and then miss the main attraction? I get that you really want to go to Moscow, but IMO do yourself a big favor and schedule a separate trip there.

Thom

besides because he wants to.. he already explained why in a previous post.

besides because he wants to.. he already explained why in a previous post.
I have been to Moscow, and agree that it is a worthwhile trip. I read why he wanted to go. I acknowledged that he wanted to go. I suggested that he should take a trip there. I just don't think this the proposed tour is an effective way to go to Moscow, in terms of either time or dollars. But it is not my trip, nor my decision.

Thom

I love this tangent! LOL

I designed a duty knife with a close friend of mine from work, loosely based on the Gurkha kukri, that is designed to be worn behind the mag pouch on the belt just for the situation you described!

What did you think of the GLOCK 27?

Not bad! A little small for my hands before the extended mag was put in. After we added the extended mag, fit like a glove! I got one on order through Keisler. They had an unheard of deal for a Glock 23 .40 Gen 4 ($299 with three mags) a couple years back, so they earned my business for life!

I would love to hear more about this duty knife behind the mag pouch...Pictures? Maybe buy one off of you? I wear a 2 1/4 inch wide clarino velcro duty belt. Would it work with that?

Not bad! A little small for my hands before the extended mag was put in. After we added the extended mag, fit like a glove! I got one on order through Keisler. They had an unheard of deal for a Glock 23 .40 Gen 4 ($299 with three mags) a couple years back, so they earned my business for life!

I would love to hear more about this duty knife behind the mag pouch...Pictures? Maybe buy one off of you? I wear a 2 1/4 inch wide clarino velcro duty belt. Would it work with that?

I'll have to see if I can dig up some pictures!

I'll have to see if I can dig up some pictures!

I was thinking of something along a KA-Bar TDI. Nasty little thing that does fit well along a duty belt. From a reverse grip, that sucker would definitely keep unwanted hands off a service weapon. I saw a magazine/TDI kydex holster when doing google image search.

I like these tangents as well. Tired of useless bicker all too common on this board. :D

Edited by Brigbound

When we visited Saint Petersburg a few years ago we joined a group that used a Private Tour Company (SPB) we notified them in advance of our details and they arranged a visa for the group. Yes you must stay with the group, you are collected and dropped off at the Port. Also I would go as far to say this is up there with the best of Ports if not the one.

Great! I'll look them up. Thank you!

I know there is a lot to do in St, Petersburg, but seeing the Red Square is kind of important to me. I am a child of the 80's (I'm relatively young at 34 yrs old), and I grew up overseas on Air Force bases, so the Cold War was a huge part of my life. As a teenager, I got to visit Berlin and see Cold War related sites, and for me, it was an amazing experience. To be able to stand in Moscow! Now that to me would be worth missing a chunk of St. Petersburg and dealing with a busy, tiring travel day!

During the 60's(much before your time!) my husband and I were stationed in Germany and the Cold War nuclear threat was very much the reason we were there. Even I couldn't go to Berlin because the wall was still up and Russia was our enemy. Looking forward to St Petersburg in 2015 - if the present situation calms down.

I was thinking of something along a KA-Bar TDI. Nasty little thing that does fit well along a duty belt. From a reverse grip, that sucker would definitely keep unwanted hands off a service weapon. I saw a magazine/TDI kydex holster when doing google image search.

I like these tangents as well. Tired of useless bicker all too common on this board. :D

Ahhhh yes! Those look like they would work rather well. I have only had someone go for my gun that one time. Not a feeling you ever want to have. It is amazing how your body,mind and training just takes over.

There is a lot from that struggle I did not remember doing, that the video showed that I was quite thrilled with doing from training that occurred years prior. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN!