Great Bay Beach

spkinva

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Islandtour/IslandTour.html

Click on the video camera symbol by Great Bay on the above map and you can see a little of it here. It runs quite a distance and offers chairs, umbellas to rent. A great place to spend time after a tour or after shopping in Phillipsburg if wanting to stay near the ships.

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Islandtour/IslandTour.html

Click on the video camera symbol by Great Bay on the above map and you can see a little of it here. It runs quite a distance and offers chairs, umbellas to rent. A great place to spend time after a tour or after shopping in Phillipsburg if wanting to stay near the ships.

Great video! That's exactly what Great Bay looks and is like. :D

LuLu

~~~~

Just back from Great Bay Beach. This is a long and expansve beach with a mile long board walk. When you get off the water taxi you will be hit with vendors trying to rent beach chairs & umbrellas. Price varies so don't be afraid to barter. Great beach for relaxing , shopping, restaurants and partying.

You may want to check out "Juggies"-the worlds smallest bar which is right off the beach. 2 cold beers & cuban cigar for $2.99. It's down Nisbeth--- street next to the Big Wood Restaurant.

Have a great day on Great Bay Beach!!!

187889247_JuggiesBar.jpg.87cd25e91295838c3f042cc7a86f505a.jpg

Juggie.jpg.e7689e6c3da4e01e4e8a5775dbe72c57.jpg

Edited by Jolly Mon Sings

I rec that you take the stroll along the beach all the way before settling on the spot you want to sit. The style and comfort of the chairs vary as well as the crowds and water entrance areas. Scope out the whole stretch of beach. Too, some of the bars/restuarants along the area have music that might interest OR turn you off.

Great Bay beach is the beach in town that has had pollution issues for years. I last swam there in 2006. Some progress has been made by the Nature Foundation especially in the last year but not so much that I would swim there just yet.

There were lots of people in the water, locals and cruisers/tourists when we were there in late Jan.

My comments re this beach didn't include the conditions of the water ..two differnt questions in my opinion. Sometimes water looks clean and clear but someone might have an open cut or sensitive skin in general and have some rash after the swim. Or burning eyes from the salt. Other water can have reports of pollution that affects no one.

So whether this water is "safe" is up to individuals. And if it's like home, the conditions in water along different beaches can change in different times of year.

There were lots of people in the water, locals and cruisers/tourists when we were there in late Jan.

My comments re this beach didn't include the conditions of the water ..two differnt questions in my opinion. Sometimes water looks clean and clear but someone might have an open cut or sensitive skin in general and have some rash after the swim. Or burning eyes from the salt. Other water can have reports of pollution that affects no one.

So whether this water is "safe" is up to individuals. And if it's like home, the conditions in water along different beaches can change in different times of year.

I have never seen locals ( to the best of my knowledge)swim at Great Bay beach but I have seen some on jet skis trying to sell rides to tourists.

I worry about swallowing a mouthful of that water.

There are lots of options and most locals that live and work in the downtown area chose other beaches for swimming.

Edited by Karysa

What is Great Bay Beach like?

We were there AGAIN last Nov on the Reflection and spent the day at Great Bay beach. There were 7 ships in so we were not going to venture out and about, it was a zoo! We got some chairs and umbrella's and ordered from The Get Wet Beach Bar and made our own buffet on the beach. Crowded? You bet! Have a blast? You bet!

541116617_cruise113.jpg.fb8db9ae623bc549046f38bd20fb06c9.jpg

28456645_cruise122.jpg.b0e4a1335f23741e1077369c2c69c31a.jpg

182849747_cruise125.jpg.df1dd1a6e2bcd94e80156b75a51c19dc.jpg

508384758_cruise129.jpg.ee2741b5257e401b9fa3e7bbb269202f.jpg