Beach within walking distance of port?

HeatherC430

Is there a beach within walking distance of the Celebrity terminal at Phillipsburg? I already have a morning excursion booked that takes us to Marigot and returns us to the pier by 12:30pm. That gives us several (four) hours before we have to get back on the ship. I'm wondering if there's a beach close to the pier that we could walk to? Or take a short/inexpensive taxi ride to? Also, I take it there is some shopping at the port area? Is that what Trip Advisor refers to as "the boardwalk" or is that something else? Is there anything else worth doing/seeing in the port area? Thank you!

There is a beach that runs all along the shore right at Front Street, Phillipsburg. There you can rent chairs and umbellas with most including a drink and wifi. Check out this site and click on the video camera symbol at Great Bay to see the area.

http://www.sint-maarten.net/St-Maarten-Islandtour/IslandTour.html

Edited by eandj

Is there a beach within walking distance of the Celebrity terminal at Phillipsburg? I already have a morning excursion booked that takes us to Marigot and returns us to the pier by 12:30pm. That gives us several (four) hours before we have to get back on the ship. I'm wondering if there's a beach close to the pier that we could walk to? Or take a short/inexpensive taxi ride to? Also, I take it there is some shopping at the port area? Is that what Trip Advisor refers to as "the boardwalk" or is that something else? Is there anything else worth doing/seeing in the port area? Thank you!

Yeah...the city beach is within walking distance or you can take the short ferry ride. Nice beach area there and a "cement" boardwalk. Plenty of places to get something to eat and some cheap drinks.

Also my go-to island for buying jewelry and liquor. Try it.....you'll like it.

Save yourself the mile+ walk and take the water taxi to downtown Phillisburg for $7pp/rd. trip. Water taxis run every few minutes.

Water taxi will drop you off at the boardwalk on Front St. and on Grand Bay Beach. There are plenty of places to shop, eat, and party. You can rent 2 chairs , and umbrella and 2 beers for $15 and enjoy the beach.

You may want to check out one our favorite spots--"Juggies Place -The World's Smallest Bar". 2 beers + cuban cigar for $2.99. It is right off the beach on Nisbeth---street entrance is next to the Big Wood Restaurant . Bar is right next to all the shops.

245452316_JuggiesBar.jpg.a76ae9261bb2b242ac38f110a1c4129d.jpg

Juggie.jpg.6ff9bdb0cb801742e8beee14fba0cfd8.jpg

Edited by Jolly Mon Sings

Little Bay where Divi Resort is makes a great beach for a few hours post excursion. It can cost as little as $4 pp each way. Unlike Great Bay beach which is the beach in town, Little Bay consistently tests well in regards to pollution levels.

Heather we have been into St Martin a number of times, so last year with 7 SHIPS :eek: in we took the water taxi to the Boardwalk and Great Bay, we are all still alive and no one needed to go to the ships Doctor. We ordered from "The Get Wet Beach Bar' and had our own buffet on the beach. I dont do pic's as nice as you, but here goes`````

1400738507_cruise118.jpg.4e39c6e3eec5454627767377fb7b2c2f.jpg

1985440622_cruise120.jpg.5d2939b0e4010443eb0d3c497741fe31.jpg

566631459_cruise125.jpg.22cc75a1559da376d082cd7108129755.jpg

136194361_cruise122.jpg.5dd5a7f97fa27217d745c7b2a21aa26a.jpg

906298166_cruise124.jpg.c90da3b61bfc28834b7db95e8e6945c8.jpg

Heather we have been into St Martin a number of times, so last year with 7 SHIPS :eek: in we took the water taxi to the Boardwalk and Great Bay, we are all still alive and no one needed to go to the ships Doctor. We ordered from "The Get Wet Beach Bar' and had our own buffet on the beach. I dont do pic's as nice as you, but here goes`````

That's the last place that I would choose with 7 ships in port even if I didn't want to go in the water. We headed North when we had such a day last year. To me a day with 25,000 cruisers is a day that I want out of the port area.

That's the last place that I would choose with 7 ships in port even if I didn't want to go in the water. We headed North when we had such a day last year. To me a day with 25,000 cruisers is a day that I want out of the port area.

I will be there soon with 7 ships and an early departure. I am afraid we couldn't get back if we go too far from the port area, and I figure that everywhere will have crowds. Does anyone know if it is possible to walk along great bay beach far enough that the crowds thin out?

I will be there soon with 7 ships and an early departure. I am afraid we couldn't get back if we go too far from the port area, and I figure that everywhere will have crowds. Does anyone know if it is possible to walk along great bay beach far enough that the crowds thin out?

No:D We walked it, and with 7 ships it was full end to end, but we were able to get chairs and an umbrella, soak some sun, and sip some good ones.

1036869794_cruise129.jpg.7d37848db057a33d9d182b45bbf85100.jpg

630772313_cruise122.jpg.4d5cdc6a18a26b73b5a8f02f6715e15e.jpg

179297118_cruise135.jpg.0070ca9efe56ce8c7db3c8615af73b9f.jpg

We did not find that going to Marigot, Grand Case and Le Galion took any longer with 7 ships compared to other times with 3 ships in. I certainly would stay away from Maho, and Orient as well. We turned our car in around 2:45 I believe and were dropped in town and did a little shopping and walked back to the ship.

Karysa- How much are the chairs/umbrella at Little Bay Beach? Are there food/drink options as well?

Sorry but I only stay an hour to 90 minutes so I just spend my time in the water when I go there. I do know that chairs are available along with food and drinks and restrooms though.

Roughly 15$ for 2 chairs an umbrella six Heineken's, wifi and bathroom access.. They are negotiable.

Check out the chairs before committing as some are padded, some aren't etc. Also, are you going to be in front or will you be behind another row or two of people.

Roughly 15$ for 2 chairs an umbrella six Heineken's, wifi and bathroom access.. They are negotiable.

Check out the chairs before committing as some are padded, some aren't etc. Also, are you going to be in front or will you be behind another row or two of people.

Which beach is this? Sounds great!

Little Bay where Divi Resort is makes a great beach for a few hours post excursion. It can cost as little as $4 pp each way. Unlike Great Bay beach which is the beach in town, Little Bay consistently tests well in regards to pollution levels.

Karysa how far is Divi Resort? Can you take the water taxi to it? Also do we need to purchase guest passes for their beach etc? Thanks

Karysa how far is Divi Resort? Can you take the water taxi to it? Also do we need to purchase guest passes for their beach etc? Thanks

No the water taxi does not go to Little Bay. There are no passes but you can rent chairs and purchase food and drinks.

We did not find that going to Marigot, Grand Case and Le Galion took any longer with 7 ships compared to other times with 3 ships in. I certainly would stay away from Maho, and Orient as well. We turned our car in around 2:45 I believe and were dropped in town and did a little shopping and walked back to the ship.

we were there in Dec '13 and there were 8 ships docked and 2 tendered and it was absolute mayhem! the Bernards tour we took when we got back to Marigot we could not come around to the port and had to circle back all the way around the other side taking an extra hour as the driver thought it would be quicker than waiting in traffic - thankfully we didnt' miss the ship but the 6hr tour took over 7 and we missed the shopping district. if there are more than 6 ships in port change your plans - i don't know what it will be like in Aug as the port schedule there are only two ships which seems odd compared to 9

• 2 weeks later...
we were there in Dec '13 and there were 8 ships docked and 2 tendered and it was absolute mayhem! the Bernards tour we took when we got back to Marigot we could not come around to the port and had to circle back all the way around the other side taking an extra hour as the driver thought it would be quicker than waiting in traffic - thankfully we didnt' miss the ship but the 6hr tour took over 7 and we missed the shopping district. if there are more than 6 ships in port change your plans - i don't know what it will be like in Aug as the port schedule there are only two ships which seems odd compared to 9

Orient to Marigot to Maho to Philipsburg to the port would lead you in to traffic with 3 ships in port so with 10 ships in I could see how this would be "absolute mayhem". That is why we head north with that many ships in. If the big planes didnt all come in around noon the traffic would be more dispersed in the afternoon. Afternoon traffic coming back from Maho is the problem.

Is the new Causeway Bridge not helping afternoon congestion? How have things been in the last couple of months coming back from Maho?

In August there are fewer ships because it is hurricane season/ships are in Europe and Alaska and Bermuda.