Viator in Germany

cuagrad90

• 1 month later...

Viator is a booking agency, not a tour operator. So the quality of a chosen tour depends on the operator rather more than on Viator.

By searching the web you should be able to find Viator's tours direct from the operators - that's likely to be cheaper, though not by much since part of Viator's profitability comes from getting discounts from operators.

It also means you can check out reviews on the operator, much more worthwhile than reviews of Viator.

We used Viator just the once (elsewhere), when because of group visas the tour had to be pre-paid in full & we couldn't get any background on the operator - you do tend to have more confidence in a major international agency than an unknown overseas operator and Viator has a reputation to maintain.

Booking was straightforward & efficient, they both texted us and left a message at our hotel the day before, to remind us of the pick-up.

Tour worked out well, too. :)

Do bear in mind that others on a given tour may not be from your ship, they may be staying at local hotels, so do check that the return time/location give you a margin for your back-on-board time.

JB :)

I would book directly with a local tour operator. I don't see any point in booking via a third party, who may be charging me more than booking direct. For example, they sell HoHo bus tickets. Why on earth would I buy those from them when I can get it for the same price or cheaper from the bus?

I bought tours from them as gifts for my parents in Barcelona (they were there a week between cruises). They enjoyed them immensely and the guide they had was a medical student and very proud to be Catalan. Of course I don't know how it would be for a cruise ship tour, as you are limited in what the offerings are. However, look at the website and have a look at what they are doing and see if you can find a private operator that follows what you'd like to see.