Typical dress of cruisers

Robbiesox15

Just wondering how casual most people dress on NCL in the evenings? I have cruised other lines, but first time with NCL in May. Jeans? Shorts? Any nights that people dress up a bit (I don't mean gowns and suits, more like dress pants and button down for men and dress or dress pants for women). Any kids dress up at all? Thanks!

Just wondering how casual most people dress on NCL in the evenings? I have cruised other lines, but first time with NCL in May. Jeans? Shorts? Any nights that people dress up a bit (I don't mean gowns and suits, more like dress pants and button down for men and dress or dress pants for women). Any kids dress up at all? Thanks!

Here is the dress policy from the NCL website:

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

Since your suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don’t forget an overnight bag for prescriptions and need-to-have items.

Some people get more dressed up than others. I did see full evening wear on some women, and even a couple of tuxes on men for the "dress up or not" nights.

Many people simply were less casual than normal.

We tend to wear nice clothes in the evening. He wears nice button-down shirts and pants, I wear dresses (dressy sun-dresses) or even slightly more formal black dresses.

Going out dancing or to a show just feels nicer when we dress up a bit :)

I have also seen a few (very few) children get dressed up on the dress up nights. If you want to have pictures taken, that's really a good reason to dress up.

You will see many different standards of dress. Some cruisers dress up every night (dress pants and shirt for men, dresses for ladies) and others prefer to be a bit more casual. There will be some that choose to wear jeans and shorts the entire cruise. On the Dress Up or Not evening, you will see some really kitted out in cocktail dresses and suits. Children typically follow the example of their parents.

Personally, my family (including my kids) every night. We enjoy it! It is entirely up to you which is the nice thing about Freestyle cruising. If you choose to dress up, you will not be out of place. If you choose to go a bit more casual, you will be fine, too. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

It depends a lot on the itinerary. On our Caribbean cruise, dinner was split about 50% shorts, 25% jeans, and 25% something nicer (slacks, etc.) in the dining areas that allow shorts. In Alaska it was about 75% jeans and 25% something nicer. On "dress up or not night" there were more people dressed nicer, but still mostly casual (dockers & polo).

People tend to dress a little nicer in the specialty restaurants too

Thanks for your responses! I do like to dress up a bit and just didn't want to be overdressed. Sounds like we will be just fine. Glad to hear that some people like to dress up also!

There is very little that you could wear that you would not fit in. As stated it pretty well is anything goes, so just like a restaurant on land, you will see all lines of dress.

We usually will wear. Dress pants and polo shirt for DH or on Norwegians night out possibly a button down shirt. I will wear a nice top with my dress pants or maybe a sundress if we are someplace warm enough. Evenings can be quite cool in the ship.

We usually don't wear shorts to dinner, just because that's not something we normally would do in a restaurant. However, on our last cruise we were on a 7 1/2 hour excursion, we got back to the ship just before sailing and right before dinner. We had planned that evening to go back to our cabin to chill after dinner because we were tired from the day. So we chose to go to the mid MDR that we knew shorts were permitted.

Neither in our dress pants and button down shirt or the night with the shorts did we feel out of place at all. So go ahead and dress in whatever makes you comfortable.

There is very little that you could wear that you would not fit in. As stated it pretty well is anything goes, so just like a restaurant on land, you will see all lines of dress.

We usually will wear. Dress pants and polo shirt for DH or on Norwegians night out possibly a button down shirt. I will wear a nice top with my dress pants or maybe a sundress if we are someplace warm enough. Evenings can be quite cool in the ship.

We usually don't wear shorts to dinner, just because that's not something we normally would do in a restaurant. However, on our last cruise we were on a 7 1/2 hour excursion, we got back to the ship just before sailing and right before dinner. We had planned that evening to go back to our cabin to chill after dinner because we were tired from the day. So we chose to go to the mid MDR that we knew shorts were permitted.

Neither in our dress pants and button down shirt or the night with the shorts did we feel out of place at all. So go ahead and dress in whatever makes you comfortable.

Oh yes - I almost forgot about the temp at night. Some of the venues and restaurants are a bit chilly in the evening. If you are wearing sleeveless anything, you will definitely want to bring some type of shawl (or similar) to throw around your shoulders for the chill.

I just ordered a new black pashmina shawl for my upcoming cruise :)

It depends a lot on the itinerary. On our Caribbean cruise, dinner was split about 50% shorts, 25% jeans, and 25% something nicer (slacks, etc.) in the dining areas that allow shorts. In Alaska it was about 75% jeans and 25% something nicer. On "dress up or not night" there were more people dressed nicer, but still mostly casual (dockers & polo).

I agree with what you're saying about itinerary making a difference, and not just because of the climate. My east-coast Hurricane Sandy re-positioning cruise was mostly older folks and had a lot of Canadians, consequently folks tended to dress better (i.e. lost more slacks and sweaters for the guys; dresses for the ladies).

That said, it seems like most folks make an effort to look their best. It's an exceptional person who gets turned away at the aft MDR.

Oh yes - I almost forgot about the temp at night. Some of the venues and restaurants are a bit chilly in the evening. If you are wearing sleeveless anything, you will definitely want to bring some type of shawl (or similar) to throw around your shoulders for the chill.

I pack a couple of different weights of cardigans and boleros (depending on what I am paring it with). But then again I'm always cold so a sundress or sleeveless top just doesn't cut it on the ship in the evenings without some form of coverup. Even the ocean breezes on deck can feel cool to me, and we really like to stroll the promenade after dinner on our way to wherever we are going.

This pretty much sums up our experiences while cruising NCL and Carnival. You usually only see men and tuxedos and women in gowns rarely anymore. Most of the time people dress up that much when they are part of a wedding or special family event. Anyone can dress up that much if they want to, but you will be in the minority. If you don't mind that...go for it!:D

I totally agree with this!:D

I haven't been on a Norwegian cruise yet, but I plan on mostly wearing jeans to the dining room. If the climate control is anything like it was on the Glory, it'll be too cold inside for shorts. But don't let anyone stop you from wearing anything allowed by the dress code - it's your vacation, be comfortable or dress to the nines as you wish!

I usually sail the cooler weather itineraries, so I'm of the jeans, turtleneck, sneaker crowd. If I were to sail a hot weather itinerary, and I think I might someday soon, I'd be of the shorts/capris, tee shirt/casual top, sandals crowd.

I don't think there is a typical dress code for NCL. I have seen everything from shorts to tuxes on any night. The dress code never really changes in the restaurants. You have the one MDR and a specialty restaurant with a higher dress code and the rest all with a more relaxed dress code. You will see more photographers out on "dress up or not" nights but that is really the only difference. What you wear is really up to you (within reason of course.)