Votes please. NCL or Royal?

Orems

Hello,

We are looking at 2 very cruises over the summer with our 7 and 4 year olds. We have travelled with both lines and felt a bit better about our Royal Car experience. Looking at Fjords with Royal or Med with NCL. The first would be 2 balcony rooms, second a (very) mini suite. Any thoughts on the lines or itineraries? Both have different pros and cons so spinning a bit.

Thanks!

Jennie

I like RCI. We did the Oasis one year and the Epic the next.

Overall, we prefered the RCI cruise experience a little better than the NCL. Of course, it is difficult to compare those particular mega-cruise ships to the regular large ships.

Aboard the Epic, I felt that there were crowds.

Sure, it's a big, huge cruise ship... but crowds were somehow unavoidable. Whether people were lining up for a show here or there... it all happened around the same times, so there were times during the evenings where there were lines and crowds.

Not a big deal or a deal breaker... We enjoyed the cruise, nonetheless.

Also, the time we went aboard the Epic, she had just come back from Europe. So the crew was in a state of flux. My kids did not enjoy the Kids Club. It was very disorganized... but, again, not a deal breaker.

Aboard the Oasis, it is a bug, huge cruise ship... but it's designed like a destination. The concept of the different "neighborhoods" did a lot to disperse the passengers aboard the ship. It never felt quite that crowded, because you could always find a quite area on the ship. The kids club was enjoyed by the kids.

Our previous cruises have been aboard RCI, Princess, Disney, Carnival... but we tend to gravitate towards RCI.

I would do all of the other lines in a heartbeat... cruising itself is a great vacation... but I prefer RCI, so my opinion may be biased.

We have done much of the world with our DS who is now 20. His favorite, looking back, was the Baltic. He was 6 at the time. I know that is not exactly what you are thinking of but since you are considering the 'north' I thought I would chime in. The ships dock close to or in the cities which are very walkable and incredibly interesting and fun from the Viking ship museum to Tivoli Gardens. I think it was Helsinki where we took a frerry over to an island with the northern most zoo in the world. We did the Med several times and agree go for Italy and/or the Greek Islands. The kids will appreciate that itinerary more when they are a bit older.

I would go for RCCL. NCL has lost its appeal for us over the years. It does tend to feel crowded, especially the dining and we have never been impressed with there children's programs.

I would choose based on itinerary. NCL is not my favorite, but on a port-heavy cruise, I'd have no problem going with them again (I would just add the cost of the pay restaurants to my budget). I'm not partial to the eat-when-you-want system, but again, on a port-heavy cruise, we're just using the ship as a moving hotel/restaurant.

Best,

Mia

If you want a relaxing vacation- do the Fjords. If you are looking for history and culture, do the Med. It's a lot of money and the kids will be happy with either.

I would do two connecting cabins over a suite. If you and your husband intend to have any adult time- there is complicated when kids are in the same room with you. It's also nice to have two bathrooms and two tv's.

When I was in Europe last year I became ill and needed the bathroom frequently- I don't know what one does if someone else is ill. So a second bathroom would be a plus with four people.

If intineraries and cost are about equal - I would select RCCI over NCL for any cruise in general (although neither is a "bad" choice).

• I think that the dining process for RCCI is better than NCLs. I always feel that I need to wait too much on NCL.
  • The ambiance on an RCCI ship is nicer than NCL. RCCI has a committment to public art that I appreciate.
  • RCCI ships just seem to be roomier. The public places tend to feel less crowded and the cabins (in my experience) are a tad larger (or at least a bit larger in just the right places?). We travel DH, DD and me -- in one cabin. I've never had a cabin on an RCCI ship where I had to crawl across a bed to get from point A to point B, but it is common on NCL ships when my DD's bed was made up.

And if you are comparing a two-cabin RCCI vs a family suite NCL cruise -- two cabins beats one suite for a party of four.

Oh no no no no!!!! RCL doesn't even come close to the HAVEN experience. If you are able to get a haven suite on the NCL for the same price as RCL….hands down…its a no brainer. We LOVED the haven experience. Having that extra space for a long cruise is just nice.

Now to be absolutely honest…as far as kids clubs are concerned….keep in mind that my boys are younger (twins 5 and 4 year old)…..Carnival wins!!!! I loved the activities they had planned. NCL was closed twice a day 2 to 4 and 5 to 7 and also charged lunch for port days. When they were open the first hour was always free play. We felt that on Carnival the activities were were planned and executed! Please no comments about leaving your kids in there all day…we are not those parents..but it kind of defeats the idea of being "free style" when they close the club for 4 hours each day….I think RCL does that as well.

Hope this helps…either way you are going to have a blast!

Oh no no no no!!!! RCL doesn't even come close to the HAVEN experience. If you are able to get a haven suite on the NCL for the same price as RCL….hands down…its a no brainer. We LOVED the haven experience. Having that extra space for a long cruise is just nice.

!

I'm pretty sure the mini-suite on NCL they're considering does not get the suite perks. If it did, I would agree with you - there is nothing like a suite on NCL.

Best,

Mia

Thanks folks. Your input actually changed what we chose so appreciate it. Ended up booking July to Baltic capitals which initially wasn't on the list, booked with RCL. Basically seemed best mix in itinerary, weather, crowds...and as right guessed above, the suite on NCL is just a larger room essentially so happy to spring for the 2 rooms and with current offers got balconies which is nice. My experience on RCL last year really impressed me on kids facilities so off again. Thanks all!