Europe, Port Or Starboard....

I live in a large city with lots of bright light. For me it is so nice to have a chance to partake in alittle stargazing when I cruise - so I always pick starboard. Some prefer view of the ports, but I always choose starboard - especially in the Mediterrannean where so many of the port views are of ruins. :eek:

It does really depend on which ports you are talking about, the smaller ones may have a better view from a particular side but the larger ports like civitavecchia are industrial and there is nothing worth seeing. Also the ship might decide to reverse in instead of forward or vice versa and mess your plans up. Basically I wouldn't worry over which side to be on.

We cruised the Med in Liberty and was on the right (is that starboard !) some ports we had lovely views in Naples we woke up to a brick wall of the terminal building - you never can tell in the Med, also most Med cruises are very port intensive with maybe 2 sea days out of 7, so just go for the position on the ship i.e. Hump, Aft etc - enjoy the experience whichever side you choose

We cruised the Med in Liberty and was on the right (is that starboard !) some ports we had lovely views in Naples we woke up to a brick wall of the terminal building - you never can tell in the Med, also most Med cruises are very port intensive with maybe 2 sea days out of 7, so just go for the position on the ship i.e. Hump, Aft etc - enjoy the experience whichever side you choose

And I too was on Liberty but sailed on the Port side of the ship. Like "crafty sue" we had lovely views in some ports and not so lovely views in others! So you can see that either side is hit or miss. I wouldn't worry about it too much. And also keep in mind that booking a cabin on the "port" side doesn't actually mean that this is always the side of the ship that the port will be on! (Not that you actually thought that, but I know some newbie cruisers do believe that to be the case). Port side is simply the left side of the ship if you are in the ship facing forward. Starboard is the right side of the ship. The actual PORT where the ship docks, can be on either side of the ship! :D On a Mediterranean cruise the best place to be is anywhere ON the ship! ;) (versus home!)

In the Med, because the ships sail basically on a circular route, one way in and the other way out, it really doesn't matter whether you are port or starboard as you'll see both sides at some time. The same applies for the Baltic cruises as well as the Norwegian fjords, one way up towards the north and the other way back down south again. :D

Thinking back to our med cruise [eastern], if I remember correctly, counting embarkation/debarkation in Venice we docked at four ports -- 2 we docked to starboard [Venice and Kusadasi] and 2 we docked to port [Dubrovnik and Corfu]. One we tendered [santorini]. The views of the coast as you approach a port can be spectacular even if the actual dock area is not so don't avoaid the land side just because you heard the dock area is ugly. And by the way, as you get closer, you will frequently have islands and other land forms on boths sides of the ship.

I guess the bottom line of what I am saying is that it doesn't seem to me to make much sense to pick a cabin based on what side of the ship you want to be on in port. Look more to the cabins available and pick one based on price and where you want to be in relation to shipboard activiites. If you want a better view of something as you approach, you can always go out on deck for a few minutes to catch the view or take some pictures.

Edited by mjldvlks