Caribbean Jewellery

Is the Caribbean somewhere to buy good quality jewellery - gold in particular?

At most of the islands there are Diamond International type stores - all duty free and look the same at least to me! Can't tell you whether the quality is good although they usually have a shopping person on board who will no doubt tell you (however I suspect they are in the employ of the duty free shop companies!). Many will give certificates of authenticity but I would try Googling and trying to get some feedback as to satisfaction levels from past customers.

They are duty free shops though so should represent a good saving. If you have anything in particular in mind though I'd be tempted to look carefully at prices here before you go so you have an idea of what's a reasonable price for a given item - you can price up a typical weight/length for a given carat eg gold ring/weight etc.

St Maarten is often quoted as being especially good for shopping. Hopefully you will get some more specific feedback here.

Just found this link which might be worth reading:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=430530

The ship also has a duty free jewellery shop which might be of interest too.

Edited by kruzseeka

I think Diamond/Tanzanite International are very over priced but they will haggle.

It also depends on the exchange rate, when you get two for one it's cheaper, but I would do as Kruzseeka says and see what you would pay at home first.

When we were in St.Martaan there were incredible bagains on electrical goods but you can't get them home.

Is the Caribbean somewhere to buy good quality jewellery - gold in particular?

I was looking for a replacement gold ring with diamonds and tanzanite last year in the Western Caribbean and I was disappointed with the prices for the quality. I thought the prices were high and the styles didn't suit my taste much. I think they are very much geared towards the American market.

I will be interested in what your experience is. You will see the same shops in every port. We saw the port shopping guide picking up his freebies in one of the shops in Aruba ;)

I have seen some people on the American boards questioning the quality and prices too, so I would be careful if you are making a big purchase.

There are some good buys, however, to entice you into the shops, which are inexpensive and worth spending a little on.

Thanks for the replies. How about the jewellery shop onboard? When we were on the Celebration last year the prices seemed pretty good. They had a gorgeous emerald ring but as I didn't know UK prices I didn't buy it. I could have kicked myself when we got home and looked at similar rings that were nowhere near as nice and more expensive. Is it the same shop on all Thomson ships?

I believe it is the same company on all Thomson ships. I got a beautiful ring on the Majesty 2 years ago, but the jewellery on the Dream last year wasn't such good quality and was much cheaper. It may just have been when we were on.

When I got my ring valued for insurance purposes it valued a couple of hundred pounds less than we paid for it. I was disappointed but not too despondent as I really loved the ring and at the end of the day that's what matters. I didn't buy it as an investment but to wear. I wouldn't like to be totally ripped off but that is unlikely on the ship, I think.

Edited by Little Nell

I will be interested in what your experience is. You will see the same shops in every port. We saw the port shopping guide picking up his freebies in one of the shops in Aruba ;)

Yes I really wondered what the point of Thomson having this person on board was. All he did to me was effectively divert sales away from the on board shop which Thomson will get a commission/profit from, to shops on shore where Thomson get nothing.

By chance I also saw him "interacting" with staff in the shop at one of the ports - I think it was Grand Turk - and that left me wondering how totally impartial his on board advice was for those who went to the onboard shopping presentation.

He even got his own channel on the in cabin TV so that left me even more bewildered.

Huddersfield Tourist, I don't believe there is impartiality at play here at all, especially when discount cards were handed out for one particular shop......there must be a deal somewhere for that to happen.

I believe the port shopping expert was on a short term contract which has ended and he has gone back to his previous cruise line.

I don't know if you know this, HT, but those shopping guides with the dreadfully poor maps and little relevant local information, replaced the traditional port guides until a number of people complained to destination services and the traditional port guides were reinstated after a few phone calls to head office. They could only be printed in black and white since they didn't have the facility to colour print them on board.

All in all, it was a completely unnecessary exercise to have this person on board.

I agree that these port shopping reps aren't Thomson employees. We chatted to one guy some years ago and he'd been on lots of ships from different cruise lines doing the same job. So no particular cruise line affiliation - the common link each time was the duty free shops in port.

That may be so however :-

He was provided with Thomson employee shirts and a Thomson badge and a channel on the Thomson TV.

Now compare that to other people on board such as Gabriella and David the dance teachers - they got none of the above promote their dance classes in the same way Chocolate Gerry got none either for his.

Thomson presented him as an employee in every way irrespective of any alternative reality of whether he was for 3 weeks or not and that is my point and also why I was bewildered.

I did notice the port maps too but never complained about them.

Agree - they can keep this type of "expert" off the ships and I would suggest he was on for free along with his wife who spent alot of time with senior personnel on the ship.

You have a point there about the TV channel. The bridge was not well advertised and sometimes only after several failed requests. It was a very successful group which continued to run until the end of the cruise.

I know the creative writing class had similar problems with advertising.

On Fred last week we got a pad of maps in our cabin, one for each port of call. On our last Thomson cruise, we had to go and ask for them but I think the ones with adverts on were left in the cabin. I've always assumed Thomsons took some sort of commision for advertising the shops in port :confused:

That may be so however :-

He was provided with Thomson employee shirts and a Thomson badge and a channel on the Thomson TV.

Now compare that to other people on board such as Gabriella and David the dance teachers - they got none of the above promote their dance classes in the same way Chocolate Gerry got none either for his.

Thomson presented him as an employee in every way irrespective of any alternative reality of whether he was for 3 weeks or not and that is my point and also why I was bewildered.

I did notice the port maps too but never complained about them.

Agree - they can keep this type of "expert" off the ships and I would suggest he was on for free along with his wife who spent alot of time with senior personnel on the ship.

You have a point - perhaps there is an advantage to Thomson of promoting or giving him advertising opportunities for what he's basically trying to sell :rolleyes:

Contrast that with people like Gerry and Gabriella and David who were on for enrichment activities and not for 'sales' purposes. Granted a small sum was paid up front for some of those activities but I presume the economics of what the providers were paid was determined before sailing and there was no additional financial benefit to them or Thomson if more people joined in or not hence no need to advertise.

But I agree it is confusing - and the more questions that are asked, the more confused I'm getting too! Did the cycling chap and photographers have badges too? The photographers (and shops?) are a franchise aren't they? What about the cycling chap? Does he rely on selling his tours to make money or is he salaried and a Thomson employee just offering an alternative excursion opportunity?

Now you've really piqued my interest HT - I have an enquiring mind (nosy!:D). The showteam are from Peel. Are they technically employed by Thomson or Peel? Do Thomson pay Peel for the contract inclusive of everything i.e. the team are paid by Peel - or are they Thomson employees and Peel are only paid to train, rehearse and put on the shows with Thomson paid personnel? They also wear T badges. Come to that do the waiters etc on Spirit wear Thomson or Louis badges? Oh dear HT you've got me all confused too now! :D

The difference as I see it with the jewellery man though is that what he sells is on shore. He may have a temporary association with a given ship but does that make them free-lance or is there an over-riding contract here (like with Peel) with some other organisation? I really don't see the benefit to Thomson here - and as for your observation about the relationship with the officers - I've witnessed that before and there's no doubt that other 'add on' personnel offering services on board didn't appear to have such favoured treatment. What is the craic? You can't get confused - i'm relying on you to unravel all this! :D

Edited by kruzseeka

Did the cycling chap and photographers have badges too? YES The photographers (and shops?) are a franchise aren't they? YES photographers on the Dream are for certain - can not be certain about other ships as do not know who the photographers are.

What about the cycling chap? Does he rely on selling his tours to make money or is he salaried and a Thomson employee just offering an alternative excursion opportunity?Strongly suspect it is a franchise.

Now you've really piqued my interest HT - I have an enquiring mind (nosy!:D). The showteam are from Peel. Are they technically employed by Thomson or Peel? PEEL under contract for Thomson. Do Thomson pay Peel for the contract inclusive of everything i.e. the team are paid by Peel YES - or are they Thomson employees and Peel are only paid to train, rehearse and put on the shows with Thomson paid personnel? They also wear T badges.YES as a condition of their contract with Peel. Come to that do the waiters etc on Spirit wear Thomson or

Louis badges? THOMSON

My understanding is that some roles probably Future Cruises, Destination Services and possibly Social and Welfare hostesses are Thomson managed whereas Kids Club people are from memory Peel but do not quote me on that. That may also answer why kids club do "I'm an Entertainer etc but you do not see the other departments doing it eg Destination Services.

:D

This is the best I can do for you !

Edited by Huddersfieldtourist

Well done HT! :D At least I know more than before! Thanks for that ;)

You'll have to do a bit more sleuthing next month. ;) We're very disappointed not to be coming - we'd had it in our sights but can't get away at that time now! Hope you have a great time though - best wishes from us to you both! :D

Do I care who pays them, what badge they have pinned to the branded shirts they have on. Not a jot as long as the service is good, but it is good to find out all about the ins and outs of the people working on the ships, as well as the positions they hold..

Like most of the good people on the forum I do like to hear and read all the gossip and thoughts of others.

All that has been posted on this thread is great, it helps to keep the forum alive, and generate more interest in cruising.

:o