Loved the Nieuw Amsterdam!

MGH521

We just returned from a week on the Nieuw Amsterdam (Feb. 16-23) to the Eastern Caribbean. We could not have been more pleased. I have sailed with HAL three previous times (Zaandam, Ryndam, and Noordam) and this was our best cruise yet. The Nieuw Amsterdam is a beautiful ship and my favorite of all the HAL ships I have known.

The Tamarind was excellent! We had lunch there, which was delicious and free! Our dinner at Tamarind was our best meal of the cruise. The food was exceptional and I'm hoping to find a restaurant like that in Chicago! We were traveling with our elderly parents who are not adventurous with food. The waitstaff were very kind and patient, pointing out the mild options. I was surprised the restaurant was not more full.

We also ate at the Pinnacle Grill, which was delicious as I remembered. It seems the ship has expanded the size of the PG. The menu is pretty similar to how I remembered it from past cruises - classic steakhouse fare.

We ate in the Manhattan Dining Room the other five nights and the food was great. They have really tried to focus on making the menus interesting. A few meals were just so-so -- my dad had a steak that was not very good and I had a lasagna that was not great. But all in all, we were pleased with all of the food.

When we booked the cruise, I was disappointed that HAL does not mail boarding documents anymore. There was something exciting about receiving the blue portfolio. I was afraid that there would be other cost-cutting measures, but I was pleasantly surprised. Other than the toiletries being secured to the shower wall and not in individual bottles and the NY Times no longer delivered to our stateroom, I didn't notice other cut-backs.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and I really think this is what sets HAL apart from other cruise lines. My mother is in a wheelchair and the staff could not have been kinder. They helped us navigate the wheelchair throughout the ship.

The entertainment was excellent. We loved Cantare, Island Magic, Sarah and the HAL Cats, and Adaggio. The piano/violin ensemble were so talented and we attended every night.

We also like that they sail with a Catholic priest onboard. We attended Mass several times onboard.

Our experience on the Nieuw Amsterdam has made me loyal to Holland America! I love that they maintain their tradition of excellence!

We were recently on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a two week cruise and tried the Tamarind for the first time - and LOVED IT! We wish all HAL ships offered this great restaurant. The menu and service were great. We look forward to many repeat visits the next time we are aboard.