Process after seeing the ship doc?

Sorry if this is posted somewhere but I couldn't find an answer. We just returned from the 7/18 sailing on the Empress and yesterday my son developed a severe earache in BOTH ears. I tried to wait it out but he was in so much pain, we called the infirmary and they had to open up for us. He had water in his ear and developed an inner ear infection on both sides. My bill came to $199, so now what is the process? I plan on calling my travel agent tomorrow and then also trying to see what my work insurance may or may not cover. Any suggestions? Is this covered under the policy I purchased with RCCL?

Sorry, I don't know if your trip insurance covers this, but the odds are good that your regular health insurance covers it since it was obviously an emergency. If you don't get the answer you need from RCCL, you may want to try calling your health insurance company.

You will have to file a claim. They should've given you the paperwork you will need to file the claim. Check first to see if your travel insurance will cover it and file a claim with them if they will. If it won't, file a claim with your health insurance.

Sorry, I don't know if your trip insurance covers this, but the odds are good that your regular health insurance covers it since it was obviously an emergency.

Not necessarily, mine didn't when I got hurt a couple of years ago. This is why I now travel with travel insurance that does cover out of country medical expenses.

On our first cruise, I had a severe case of swelling legs and feet. I was on an IV for a couple of hours, had some blood work and given RX for the remainder of the trip. My health insurance did cover it 80/20. All I had to do was fax them the bill. Hope it is as simple for you.

Your insurance from RCCL will cover it. You may have to also file with your regular insurance to see if they cover first.

Check your policy information from the ship and call Berkley Care (their number will be in that info) and they will give you a claim number immediately and send you the forms you need.:)

thank you everyone for the information. I received only the detailed bill but the nurse told me to send it all in. When I asked her where to send the claim she said she didn't know.

I did originally ask about my work insurance and she responded that since we were in international waters, they could not accept it.

I will be making calls 2nd thing on Monday after I take my son to see his own doctor.

Here is how my travel insurnace worked when I got an infection on the ship. I downloaded the insurance form on the computer and it gave me all the instructions. First I had to file with my own medical insurance. I have Blue Cross and Blue shield. They did not pay for it since it was on the ship. I then took a copy of the letter from BC./BC and sent it to my travel insurance and they paid the full amount of $299.00. The process took about 3 weeks from the time I got home.

• 2 months later...

Tried to indicate update in title but didn't know how.

I submitted the paperwork to my work ins. Of course was denied technically and told most of my expense will be applied to my deductable. I wasn't sure what would occur but I submitted all paperwork to the cruise insurance and have received a full refund of $199! I was very excited to get a check in the mail that I didn't think I would get.

Tried to indicate update in title but didn't know how.

I submitted the paperwork to my work ins. Of course was denied technically and told most of my expense will be applied to my deductable. I wasn't sure what would occur but I submitted all paperwork to the cruise insurance and have received a full refund of $199! I was very excited to get a check in the mail that I didn't think I would get.

So glad it worked out for you! Another happy ending - I love it!!!

Archived