Royal Carribean or Carnival- Opinions?

Prinycesa07

Curious as to your opinions.

We love Carnival. Tried Norwegian once and wasnt a big fan, came back to Carnival. However, now with Royal Carribean's awesome kids sail free sale we have the opportunity to try them out. Which would you choose?

8 night Carnival Splendor to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay & Nassau

9 night Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda, St Marteen, San Juan & Labadee

Price is the same. It would be my husband, myself and our 2 kids if that would make any difference (They are 3 and 4). Has anyone been on both ships? Any opinion on them? Are there things to do on the Royal Carribean itinerary that don't involve travel as we wouldn't have carseats. Mostly looking for beach days which I know Grand Turk and HMC are.

Any opinions appreciated :D

p.s. The extra day isn't a selling point to us as IMO 9 days seems kind of long with 2 toddlers. But not a deal breaker either.

Edited by Prinycesa07

I've been on both ships and to all the ports listed. (just off Splendor last week)

I'd go with Explorer because I like the itinerary better. I'm sure with either the kids programs are great but you would still have to bring the same things such as carseats etc. on either one.

Been also thinking of the two and taking my 4 year old granddaughter. I'd go with Explorer since I'm Diamond on RCL and know the ship (and ports) better.

Pam

Thanks Pam!

I wouldnt need carseats with the carnival one as the beach is right when we get off the ship. Would i need them for the Royal stops? Is there anything (a beach) right off the ship at any of those ports?

Also, do you think a 3 and 4 year old would enjoy the ice skating and rock climbing or are they not allowed that young?

Sorry so many questions LOL

Yes, you can do beaches on the Explorer's ports without traveling far. The ship docks now at Labadee so there's no tender involved and there are beaches just off the dock in St. Maarten. There is also a small beach in King's Wharf, near the village that you can walk to.

It's also nice to stay on the ship when everyone is in port. You can have the pool area to yourself!

Enjoy..........

Pam

Love NCL. Went on CCL for the first time last year and RCI this year. Like CCL better although we did like our RCI cruise. The Splendor is a bigger ship and might have more features. The ice show on RCI was amazing. The RCI itinerary is also better. I didn't know they had a ship that did Bermuda and the Caribbean. Hahaha I have a hard enough time picking my own cruises to pick someone else's. Have an amazing time whichever you choose.

If the price is roughly the same, it's Explorer, hands down...

1. Much better entertainment

2. Amazing ice show

3. Royal Promenade

4. Labadee, a wonderful beach day

5. Parades for the kids (and adults)

4. Labadee, a wonderful beach day

Agree. I've never enjoyed a private beach day as much as Labadee. Beautiful, wonderful place.

I'm definitely getting one of those cabanas on stilts over the water at Nellie's Beach next time I'm there. They looked idyllic. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agree. I've never enjoyed a private beach day as much as Labadee. Beautiful, wonderful place.

I'm definitely getting one of those cabanas on stilts over the water at Nellie's Beach next time I'm there. They looked idyllic. :D

Yes, and did I mention the Labadoozies?

Yes, and did I mention the Labadoozies?

Ooooh, I didn't know what a Labadoozie was so I had to Google it. :o It's going on my "to do list" also!

While I was Googling, I found a picture of one of those cabanas on Nellie's Beach. Aaaah, Definitely getting one

CabanasASR6of6.jpg

That looks gorgeous! I did not know that it was a private island. I'm in love with half moon cay & would be sad to miss it but this would make up for it I'm sure!

Labadee is "technically" a peninsula on the north coast of Haiti, but you might as well be in a private island. It's completely fenced and off limits to the rest of Haiti (of course, you can't see the fence).

But the place is absolutely beautiful. Green, lush mountains, turquoise blue waters, and lots of cool things to do, including one of the longest zip lines from the top of a mountain, over the water, and ending down on the beach.

One of the best things about it is that it has a pier, so you don't need to tender ashore.

Edited by Tapi

if price is the same I would pick royal hands down. their ships alone are enough to make me choose them over carnival. as for car seats. cant recall that I have seen anyone in Nassau or Freeport that had kids in car seats. even on the jetty in Nassau the no car seats for the little ones that we saw.

Normally, I'd suggest ExplorerOTS ... but with children the ages of yours I'm concerned about what you would do on the San Juan port stop. Also getting to a beach in Bermuda without car seats would be a problem.

LuLu

~~~

...with children the ages of yours I'm concerned about what you would do on the San Juan port stop.

LuLu

~~~

I grew up in Puerto Rico, and after spending a week there with our 4 and 2 year old kids in January, the biggest concern for the OP might actually be narrowing it down to which activity to choose on such limited amount of time.

Even if the OP chooses to stay in Old San Juan to keep things simple, there are several things to keep the family busy. Some of our favorite things to do there with children include taking the trolley around the old town, walking along Paseo La Princesa to the Raices fountain, working our way down Calle del Cristo, visiting Parque de las Palomas and feeding the hundreds of pigeons that call the park home (don't freak out, probably every Puertorican child living in the island has done this. TIP: the pigeons prefer peanuts over crushed corn, both which are sold at the park), and walking up to the grounds preceding the entrance to the San Felipe del Morro Castle. Kite flying on these grounds is a very popular family activity for local families. Inexpensive and easy to assemble kites can be purchased nearby.

Obviously, there are many other things to do if the OP has more time and is willing to explore beyond Old San Juan, including Luquillo Beach, the Rio Camuy Caverns (easy to explore since there's little walking involved) and the El Yunque Rainforest (which can be explored without getting out of the car).

There are tons of other things to do, but they would require a full week there. :)

Edited by Tapi

I would choose the Explorer cruise. I loved Labadee, it is absolutely beautiful and RCI has it set up really well. I also prefer RCI over Carnival. To me it is a step above and I would always choose RCI over Carnival if I had a choice.

Just keep in mind they want to go to beaches and they don't want to go anyplace in a car without car seats. Make it harder. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Thanks. :)

Yeah, beach time will be hard to do in San Juan without getting in a car. Hopefully they can get their beach time in St. Maarten and Labadee and save San Juan for other activities.

Edited by Tapi

Yeah, beach time will be hard to do in San Juan without getting in a car. Hopefully they can get their beach time in St. Maarten and Labadee and save San Juan for other activities.

Yes, and many of your other suggestions would be fun and give them something to do other than the beach on one of their port days! :)

LuLu

~~~

Thank you everyone! You've all been very helpful!

Yes we don't need a beach day In every port, just a couple :) All my kids keep asking for is the ocean & to build sand castles lol! (We live in upstate ny- they don't get their toes in sand very often!)

I haven't been on those ships but have been to all the ports you mentioned except Labadee. I LOVE all the ports. However, I would choose the Splendor because of Half Moon Cay it is absolutely beautiful you would not want to leave. Grand Turk and Nassau also both have beautiful water. So if you prefer the beach choose the Splendor.

HMC>Labadee. But I would take the extra night and other ports on Royal. I actually prefer Carnival over Royal, I think their food is better. But would choose Royal for better ports even though HMC is my favorite Carnival stop ever. :) Didn't care for Labadee at all.

Breakfast is available in the MDR

Thank you both of you!

I admit that the kids water park on splendor is my biggest draw to it. A question about RC, do they have seaday brunch, breakfast or lunch in their MDR or is it all buffet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app