Special Needs boarding for Independence of the Seas Fort Lauderdale

Iaminspired

We are sailing on Independence of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale in December. We've always sailed on Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ in the past. I've heard that if you survived Bayonne, boarding in Florida is like a cake walk.

We will be doing Special Needs boarding. My DD (17) has autism and anxiety / panic. My younger DD (13) has anxiety / panic. We will be driving down from Ontario, Canada (DD#1 can't handle airports). Has anyone done Special Needs boarding in Fort Lauderdale? Any information on how things are laid out, any waiting, the size of the port building and the number of people we will be encountering would be very helpful. My DD benefits from having information in advance and we will be crafting a social story to help her.

Thanks so much!:)

We are sailing on Independence of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale in December. We've always sailed on Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ in the past. I've heard that if you survived Bayonne, boarding in Florida is like a cake walk.

We will be doing Special Needs boarding. My DD (17) has autism and anxiety / panic. My younger DD (13) has anxiety / panic. We will be driving down from Ontario, Canada (DD#1 can't handle airports). Has anyone done Special Needs boarding in Fort Lauderdale? Any information on how things are laid out, any waiting, the size of the port building and the number of people we will be encountering would be very helpful. My DD benefits from having information in advance and we will be crafting a social story to help her.

Thanks so much!:)

You might want to check on the "disabled travel" board. Someone there might be able to help you. Also have you checked with the special needs dept with Royal Caribbean?

We will be on the Independence on 4/5 with an autistic child. I will let you know how it goes when we get back.

You might want to check on the "disabled travel" board. Someone there might be able to help you. Also have you checked with the special needs dept with Royal Caribbean?

We will be on the Independence on 4/5 with an autistic child. I will let you know how it goes when we get back.

Thanks, Marie51. I would love to know how you make out on Independence.

I replied to your question about the modified muster drill on the Disabled Board. Wow, that got inflammatory, which is why I thought I'd post my question over here to begin with. I've also asked on our Roll Call board, since many are repeat cruisers. Luckily, it seems someone else benefitted from your question and my answer on the Disabled board, so hopefully it was worth it.

I'll be emailing Special Needs in the next week or so.

Thanks, again!

Thanks, Marie51. I would love to know how you make out on Independence.

I replied to your question about the modified muster drill on the Disabled Board. Wow, that got inflammatory, which is why I thought I'd post my question over here to begin with. I've also asked on our Roll Call board, since many are repeat cruisers. Luckily, it seems someone else benefitted from your question and my answer on the Disabled board, so hopefully it was worth it.

I'll be emailing Special Needs in the next week or so.

Thanks, again!

Yes, the response to my question about mustering kind of got out of hand. Some people just have to go off the deep end with responses.

Anyway I will let you know how things work out for us.