NCL Compensation or Vouchers?

Hi,

We just got off of the NCL Sea cruise from Houston. Our ship was rerouted due to Hurricane Emily & only went to Key West and Cozumel. People on board thought that NCL would offer us vouchers or discounts on a future cruise. Did any of you experience anything similar?:rolleyes:

Thanks for your input.

AlexisN'Texas

sorry to say no, not to sound coldhearted, but if you choose to cruise during hurricane season, that is the chance you take.

It is a no win situation for the cruise line, if they do what they did people are unhappy because of a missed port and if you go to the port and run into the hurrricane people say that they took unnesessary risks, etc.

I know no one reads it and it does not help but the cruise contract you entered into when you booked says the cruiseline has the right to change itineraries.

Sorry you missed a port

It is a no win situation for the cruise line, if they do what they did people are unhappy because of a missed port and if you go to the port and run into the hurrricane people say that they took unnesessary risks, etc.

I know no one reads it and it does not help but the cruise contract you entered into when you booked says the cruiseline has the right to change itineraries.

I don't like having recourse to mere legal technicalities when there are good reasons that underlie them. I think that it's worth remembering that:-
  1. A cruise is a voyage, not a tour, with all that the word implies. Sometimes it's necessary to change things as you go along. The itinerary should really be read as an expression of (confident) hope as to which ports you do and don't go to, and when and in which order - but not as a promise that you'll go to those places.
  2. If you start on embarkation day and finish on embarkation day, you've received what you've paid for, namely an x-night voyage.
  3. If you really need to go to a particular place, you are therefore much better off flying there and staying there, not trying to get there on a ship which may or may not have to be diverted if there are good reasons.

I just wish that the cruise lines would explain this a bit more, but I suppose it's not good for the marketing people.

Try to think of it this way: would you have preferred to have stayed with the original itinerary and spend your cruise in a hurricane? Of course not. So in a way, this was a case of NCL going out of their way to give you an excellent vacation in spite of the weather. Perhaps the passengers should thank them.

However, there are some situations where I feel that the cruise line should provide some sort of compensation (even if it's small). In the case of the Dawn that missed Nassau, that was a problem with an azipod. I would consider that a maintenance issue and within the responsibility of the cruise line, even if it isn't directly their fault that it failed. Imagine paying for lawn service, and then having their lawnmower break 3/4 of the way through the lawn. Should you still pay for the full service? I wouldn't think so. In the case of the Dawn, the think that NCL more than adequetly compensated the passengers ($100 credit). In the case of the Sea, I don't think anyone should be compensated for the weather unless it was in some way the fault of the cruise line. Weather rarely is. ;)

We were compensated on our last cruise because the cruise was delayed a day. We received $250.00 shipboard credit and 50% off our next cruise. We did miss two ports (one x sea day and subbed Bahamas insted of Grand Caymans and Belise) We probably wouldnt have received compensation if we hadnt lost a day on the ship.

I agree, if you actually loose a day on the ship you should be compensated as you are paying for 7 nights or whatever, but for anyone to even suggest a refund or credit due to weather blows my mind. We have been on two cruises where we missed islands because of weather, never have we been offered anything except a few drinks and never did it occur to us we should have received something. Bad weather doesn't make for the worlds best cruise experience, but be glad you didn't have to endure the hurricane. Why do we keep reading over and over, I am owed something? Am I just getting to old? NMnita

I agree, if you actually loose a day on the ship you should be compensated as you are paying for 7 nights or whatever, but for anyone to even suggest a refund or credit due to weather blows my mind. We have been on two cruises where we missed islands because of weather, never have we been offered anything except a few drinks and never did it occur to us we should have received something. Bad weather doesn't make for the worlds best cruise experience, but be glad you didn't have to endure the hurricane. Why do we keep reading over and over, I am owed something? Am I just getting to old? NMnita

Now ya have it Nita..........yer jest getten to dern old:D

Archived