Oasis - Behind the scenes tour - ship systems/engiens, etc

I forgot to mention that when I tried what was just mentioned above, that it is saying that it isn't available for this booking. Is there a reason for that? Will I just have to book on board, or do they only offer it on certain sailings?

I think that only 60 spots are avail. for each cruise. It could be that it is sold out or they are holding a few for embark. day. I would go to guest service as soon as your board to see if the open up spots. Look for my review of my cruise on Oasis 3/22. I will post pics of the All Access Tour.

Caneguy

I did it on the Liberty a few years ago. It was interesting, but not worth it in my mind. I am sued to the prices that Disney charges for their BTS tours, and their prices are less per hour.

Anyways, here are a few pictures.

http://pblq.com/bts.html

Reed

Thanks for posting that Reedl. I definitely appreciate it. It looks interesting, but I am questioning if it shows enough to keep me interested. Although, my wife says it takes very little. =-)

See all of the heavy equipment, now makes me wonder how they heck they get that stuff in there when they're building the ship. Like the huge grills, pizza ovens, huge winch to hold the anchor, etc. Is that installed already when they're putting the blocks together, or are there huge freight elevators on the ship that they just take everything down after the ship is completed?

I think that only 60 spots are avail. for each cruise. It could be that it is sold out or they are holding a few for embark. day. I would go to guest service as soon as your board to see if the open up spots. Look for my review of my cruise on Oasis 3/22. I will post pics of the All Access Tour.

Caneguy

DEFINITELY post all the pics. I would be interested to see them, and you can possibly even save me $150 from having to go on the tour myself. =-) Ask if there is any way for people that are interested, to see the engines. =-)

DEFINITELY post all the pics. I would be interested to see them, and you can possibly even save me $150 from having to go on the tour myself. =-) Ask if there is any way for people that are interested, to see the engines. =-)

There have been reports by people who have done the tour.

The search function is down again, but give it a shot when it is working again.

OK, I think I'll book it. Maybe I can slip someone $50, and them take me to see the engines. =-) Also, did they let you take cameras to take pictures? And was it listed as All Access Tour for both of you too? I just want to make sure I'm looking through the booking online, for the right thing.

The engine rooms are off-limits for liability reasons. They would have to issue ear plugs for everyone, and there would be no conversation possible while in many areas. Generally, even 90% of the crew are not allowed in the engineering spaces, this is a restricted area, as required by the IMO in a ship's Vessel Security Plan.

In the Engine Control Room, there will be CCTV cameras that show the watch engineer most areas of the engine spaces, and frequently, these are scrolled through to illustrate things that the Chief/Staff Chief giving the tour is explaining. So you should be able to at least SEE the engines. ECR tends to be one of the longest stays on the tour, as people tend to have the most questions there.

Thanks for posting that Reedl. I definitely appreciate it. It looks interesting, but I am questioning if it shows enough to keep me interested. Although, my wife says it takes very little. =-)

See all of the heavy equipment, now makes me wonder how they heck they get that stuff in there when they're building the ship. Like the huge grills, pizza ovens, huge winch to hold the anchor, etc. Is that installed already when they're putting the blocks together, or are there huge freight elevators on the ship that they just take everything down after the ship is completed?

Really large stuff like engines and windlasses are installed either in the block construction phase, or during the grand block assembly (where blocks are assembled into the largest piece that the dock's crane can lift). Galley equipment isn't really that big a deal, and is frequently brought in during final construction. Lots of times, things like crew staircases are not installed until near the end, so large items can come in the I-95 corridor and get lifted up to the galleys via the staircase shaft. Interior bulkheads are sometimes cut or left out to allow this kind of equipment to be placed.