Skagway Hike - Lower Dewey Lake or Yakutania Point?

SeahawkSiren

Hello all. Researching hikes for my trip to Skagway in May and would like input on which would be the better hike, Lower Dewey Lake or Yakutania Point? From my preliminary research they both look to have wonderful views and both appear to have trailheads that start in town (will not be renting a car so am only interested in hikes that start within walking distance from town). Perhaps there will be other recommendations besides these two hikes. I will also be doing the train excursion so will only have so much time leftover for hiking so I am looking for shorter hikes such as these, and I also still need time to explore the town! Will be a busy day for sure! Thank you.

Actually there is not too much "town" to explore unless you mean gift shops. The NPS has some interesting walking tours though.

Lower Dewey Lake is amongst trees most of the way, so the views can be not so great. But it is a great hike. Depending Yakutania Point definitely has nice views if that is what you are looking for.

We have done both these hikes plus the NPS walking tour in one stop but we didn't do an excursion. The lower Dewey Lake hike is more of a hike with a bit of elevation gain and one good view spot on the way up. The lake is pretty and you can walk around it. Yak. Point is more of a walk but the scenery is better IMO. You can continue along the shore for as far as you have time for. Then go into town for exploring a bit. There are a few interesting shops hidden among the "international" ones. There is also the NPS visitors center.

Of the two I would recommend Yakutania Point and Smugglers Cove as being easier and faster. You might also like the Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Reid Falls if you have more time as you walk through town. There are also historical houses and a very nice museum. Wander along the side streets that don't have shops on them. One of my favorite thing to do in Alaska is to take a walk away from the tourist central areas.