best thing at Mongolian Wok?

brymern

Can you get it with just noodles and meat? I would like to try this, but I don't do veggies.

Yep! You can get whatever you put in your bowl. If they don't have rice noodles I just do veggies and meat.

My problem is that I'm not a fan of any of the sauces. Can you have them cook it in soy sauce?

Yep! Although, if you like soy sauce, I would recommend trying the black bean sauce. :)

The mongolian wok is won-der-ful! One of the best things about the ships that actually have them. I never tried the wok until I took an autumn cruise on the Sensation last year but I am glad I finally tried it. They have everything there. Yes, the lines are ridiculously long but it is worth the wait. It's not like there's nothing going on up at lido while you wait either. Figure everyone in line has a similiar taste and mindset to yours and you can strike up some interesting conversations and make instant friends with your fellow linemates. haha. It is also conveniently located so you can peoplewatch while you wait, watch the midday activities or just look out at the ocean passing by. Now, to the food. I have seen calamari, shrimp, beef, pork, chicken and probably something I have forgotten for meat choices. Always three different choices each day. Schezuan sauce is the hottest but not so ridiculously hot that your mouth is going to be on fire for the rest of the day, IMO. When you arrive at the setup, you get a bowl and put whatever you want in it for them to stir fry. I usually get rice noodles, thin and broad, peas, corn and then ask them to fry them in with whatever meats I select along with oil and schezuan. I have found the thai bbq and black bean sauces are too bland and tasteless. Other things they have to choose from include a wide array of veggies and a few other things. It is so worth it and I usually try to go every day at lunch while cruising. Too bad it is only open from 12 to 3 each day. I have actually used a few of the recipes I saw them use onboard when cooking at home. Nothing like stir fry chicken and rice noodles in thai chili and schezuan sauce made in a wok on my own stove at home. Yum. Kinda reminds me of cruising when I am in between voyages.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ
spoiled by spellcheck on my phone

I've been on 4 cruises with Mongolian Woks and never tried it. I see people rave about it on the boards, so I'm thinking I should give it a try during our upcoming trip in July. So, here's a fun question: what do you put in your bowl to have cooked up? What is your favorite combination of ingredients?

I've been resistant to trying it for two reasons. One, the line is often very long. And, two, I'm not an Iron Chef and can't come up with a delicacy from random ingredients presented to me minutes before the dish is prepared. It seems more logical to just take something from the buffet that has been thoroughly tested to be delicious. Anyone else feel like this?

Mongolian Wok isn't really random ingredients. They have bowls of raw veggies and noodles out and you fill a bowl with whatever ones you want and hand it to the cook. You tell the cook which meat you want (beef, chicken, or salmon) and which of 3 sauces you want it cooked in. The cook throws it in the wok and cooks it in front of you in 2-3 minutes.

Veggie choices I can remember are onions, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli. There were others.

Beware the red sauce choice is very hot! The food tastes good and unlike some buffet food, it is fresh and hot.

It is kind of like Genghis Grill food if you've ever been there.

My only suggestion for the wok is to not get it any hotter than you will like. There are 3 different kind of sauces and I thought I would like it very spicy because most things are too bland on the ship, but the hottest sauce was too hot for me and I ended up going to get other food.

I totally agree. I like spicy hot too, but the red sauce was too hot for me. It is like dangerous hot IMO.

The Mongolian Wok is my favorite eatery on the ship (aside from Guy's). I'm a bit of a Mongolian (or "hibachi grill") stir-fry fiend, so when I discovered the Wok on Imagination and then later on Liberty, I was overjoyed.

(Then I cruised on Victory. No Wok. *sigh* )

BTW, the lines CAN be long...but as a connoisseur of stir-fry restaurants, I was VERY impressed at how efficiently they handled the process on both ships. The lines moved faster than at several shore-side stir-fry places I've frequented, including Genghis Grill and Real Chow Baby.

It is kind of like Genghis Grill food if you've ever been there.

Whew, I wish there were THAT many choices on the ship (especially more sauce choices; I just stick with the black bean)...but for a lunch-only venue, the Mongolian Wok is more than up to the task!

So if I understand from recent post...when the Carnival Frredom goes into drydock for 2.0. upgrades the Mongolian Wok and cold soups go away? We are sailing on her Oct 18-26

I'm on the Freedom sailing before yours. If they take away the Wok I'll seriously consider cancelling the booking.

HOWEVER, FunShip 2.0 upgrades like Guy's Burgers CAN coexist with the Wok. They do so on Liberty. Here's hoping they'll keep the Wok on Freedom.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a low sodium option? My mom normally eats there for lunch, but has since been put on a low sodium diet. She'd love it she could still eat there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They do have a low sodium soy sauce..don't believe the three sauces are low sodium?

I bring my own bottle of Teriyaki Sauce and pour some of that in before i hand it to them and have them add a tiny bit of the Szashwan ...yummy..

I love Mongolian Wok. I prefer the rice noodles over the soba style noodles (sometimes they have both, other times they have one or the other). I always load mine up with corn, mushrooms, lots of onion, bean sprouts and spinach. I prefer chicken or beef. As far as the sauce, the szechwan is the hottest, but I prefer it over the thai bbq (green sauce) and the black bean sauce. Now, I am by NO MEANS, a spice baby; I love spicy foods. However, this sauce is extremely hot, so much so, that even the smoke from cooking make everyone in line start to cough. IT IS HOT! Ask for just a little tiny bit of the szechwan, even if you think you like spicy, sauce and they will add more cooking liquid to make up the difference. It really is delicious.

All I ever get is the Szechuan sauce. I don't think it's that spicy. It has a kick to it but it's not too bad. But I seem to be in the minority on this opinion :)

All I ever get is the Szechuan sauce. I don't think it's that spicy. It has a kick to it but it's not too bad. But I seem to be in the minority on this opinion :)

I love this sauce and always get it as well. Looking forward to it on our next cruise!

They do have a low sodium soy sauce..don't believe the three sauces are low sodium?

I bring my own bottle of Teriyaki Sauce and pour some of that in before i hand it to them and have them add a tiny bit of the Szashwan ...yummy..

Thanks for the tip! I'll have my mom checks with her dietician.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk