Change In Dress Code?

guerchino

We will be sailing on the Connie. Based on what we have read here and what had been on the web site I was planning to not bring a dark suit - only a sports jacket - skip the MDR on formal night and eat in one of the specialty restaurants. I was just on the web site and under how to pack it now says that the evening dress code in enforced in all restaurants - have I missed something or has policy changed?

Thanks

From the web site:

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

So you dont even need the sport jacket if you so desire.

Edited by wallie5446

The "evening dress code" is enforced in all restaurants, not the "formal night dress code." Evening dress code, as referenced above, is "smart casual and above." You don't need to go formal in the specialty restaurants, only "smart casual and above."

We will be sailing on the Connie. Based on what we have read here and what had been on the web site I was planning to not bring a dark suit - only a sports jacket - skip the MDR on formal night and eat in one of the specialty restaurants. I was just on the web site and under how to pack it now says that the evening dress code in enforced in all restaurants - have I missed something or has policy changed?

Thanks

You are good with a sports jacket on formal night in the MDR. This is what I am planning on doing. You will meet the dress "code", but maybe not the "suggested attire".

Others will likely tell you different.

You are good with a sports jacket on formal night in the MDR. This is what I am planning on doing. You will meet the dress "code", but maybe not the "suggested attire".

You will not meet the dress code but you will get by.

You will not meet the dress code but you will get by.

I guess about 40% of the men on our last Celebrity cruise (Dec 2012) were wearing sports jackets. About 10% wore a tux, the remaining in suits.

On the second formal night, many of the men did not wear ties - including my husband. And yes, we all ate in the MDR, very happily.

Let me just say that just because one can get by with something doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.

The best thing to do, would be to eliminate all formal nights. If one wants to dress formally, fine...but many of us had/have to dress up for work and look forward to times we can relax,and enjoy our life in a more casual . I really don't appreciate spending thousands of dollars to cruise and having to dress formally.

Wow.

OP - I'll be on the Connie this Saturday for a five day run - I will report back.

FWIW - I have heard that the 4 and 5 night runs are pretty laid back. Not saying that's right or wrong , just saying that's what I have heard.

Since I'm getting ready to go out to dinner for me it doesn't matter if I put on a dress or shorts. It still takes the same time to dress. And since it's already paid for it makes it that much better to get dressed up and go all out. I understand some people just aren't interested in it but wow, it just makes it that much more special for me. All those nights on board with great meals and service, and I don't have to cook or clean, I'll do anything for that!

It's a luxury for me.

I guess about 40% of the men on our last Celebrity cruise (Dec 2012) were wearing sports jackets. About 10% wore a tux, the remaining in suits.

On the second formal night, many of the men did not wear ties - including my husband. And yes, we all ate in the MDR, very happily.

Your numbers were about the same as ours in November & December. At least 40% were in sports jackets and surely were not out of place whatsoever. Most people don't concentrate on what others wear - only official fashion police are those in charge:)

This has been our observation during our last three Celebrity cruises. For the first time ever my husband will be wearing a sport jacket and not a tux on our Summit cruise later this month.

People keep quoting the guides for formal night that are posted on Celebrity's website. These are not enforced and do not reflect the reality of how people are dressing.

I understand with suitcase space. Luckily I was able to bring a lot of wrinkle free dresses that I just rolled up into my suitcase. The problem was my husband's size 13 shoes. He ended up wearing the same dress shoes in the evening whether he was wearing khakis or suit pants.

You spend thousands of dollars on a cruise and air transportation and can't even spare an extra $50 for a larger or second suitcase so you can dress appropriately? Talk about penny pinching in all the wrong places!

Admit it - it isn't the extra luggage fees. It's that you don't want to dress up. You want to wear what you want, regardless of the ambiance that Celebrity is trying to create. You book a cruise knowing full well what the dress requirements are and then deliberately ignore them, knowing that they won't say anything so as to not offend a customer. It's not really about "packing light", is it?

It is definitely about packing light and has nothing to do with money and nothing to do with not wanting to dress up. I love to travel, but I am in my mid 60's and I just cannot handle the luggage! We are planning to do the formal nights and will take what will fit in 1 large case and go with that.

Not sure if I should even ask this question, but I'm reading a lot about men wearing nice pants, shirt, and a sport coat without a tie on formal night, but what about dress pants, dress shirt, tie and no jacket?? Is the jacket required? Not a problem for my husband, but my son squeezed into the jacket he had last year just so he could wear it for the one formal night we went to. I really don't want to buy him a jacket for one night. He will definitely grow out of it before he would ever need to wear it again!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Coming from a guy who hates to get all fancy-dancy and gussied up for dinner, I actually wear a tux on the formal nights out of respect for the captain and others who choose to embrace the formal nights. I'm not saying that it should be mandatory, but c'mon, the very least you could do is wear a tie.:rolleyes:

Just as a host or hostess can show consideration towards guests by providing clear dress guidelines, so does a guest return the favor by being mature enough to honor them. This is particularly true for formal dress codes where ignoring the prescribed etiquette will make it clear that you could not care less about the desires of your host or the experience of your fellow guests.

From the web site:

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu for AquaClass guests, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

So you dont even need the sport jacket if you so desire.

Just as a host or hostess can show consideration towards guests by providing clear dress guidelines, so does a guest return the favor by being mature enough to honor them. This is particularly true for formal dress codes where ignoring the prescribed etiquette will make it clear that you could not care less about the desires of your host or the experience of your fellow guests.

It is very clear.

A sport coat is still dressing nicely. But I would appreciate the staff turning away those that are in jeans or t-shirts on formal night.

I agree. Baseball caps can be added to that list.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Formal night is getting more relaxed. Sports jacket is fine. Many guys wore them on my cruise in January. There were 3 formal nights. Guys relaxed the dress code. By the 3rd night, many guys did not wear ties or jackets. It is your cruise. Dress as you want.