Forward facing suites

FireEater

Can anyone enlighten me on how windy it will be on the balcony. Would like to have a few meals while under way, but me thinks it will probably be too windy to enjoy.

I am on the Sun, cabin 9002 if that helps. I know it has a large balcony.

Edited by FireEater

Can anyone enlighten me on how windy it will be on the balcony. Would like to have a few meals while under way, but me thinks it will probably be too windy to enjoy.

I've sailed in that suite and loved it! :D Sure it may be windy while underway IF you're standing the entire time at the railing! But when you're enjoying the lounge chairs and a nice cocktail or having a nice meal sitting at the table, the wind isn't a problem! I've been in forward facing suites 5 times with my 6th time coming up in August..currently it's my favorite location....I may change my mind if I ever sail in an aft suite!! 🚢

I can't speak from experience, but have been doing all kinds of research the last few weeks since we booked out Sun cruise. We're sailing the the cabin right below you (8002) in February.

From what I've found, the forward suites on Sun have a high steel wall which if you're sitting/lodging, you cannot view the water. That said, I don't know about sitting upright having a meal. Most comments I've been able to find about this were spoken in passing, to that the reviewer was able to leave their balcony door open when underway and the wind wasn't of any significance.

I'm curious what others have to share about this as well!

We have sailed a couple times in the Sun's forward Owner's Suites. We would have breakfast on the balcony while pulling into port, and snacks sitting out there while leaving port, but never tried in open sea - too windy for me for dining. We did, however sit out there in the loungers during the day if the weather is good.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Just off the Sun Cabin #8202- 11 Day Southern Carib. itinerary- we were on the Front of the Ship, we were unable to book an AFT which we are use to. The balcony was VERY windy, some days completely unusable. We did experience some high winds on our cruise. On those days it was extremely hard to even open the slider to get outside. On Port days the balcony was useable, BUT ours had metal instead of see through "plexiglass" so when sitting down you had no view. This was a Penthouse Suite.

We were just in 10500 on the Jewel. I was worried about windy and a bumpy ride. We usually have aft suites. Nothing to worry about at all. It was FABULOUS!!!!! We spent more time out there than we ever have before. Naps every afternoon, wine and cheese every evening. Dessert and star gazing every night. We had very calm seas and not much wind. It was very comfortable and the best suite we have ever had in terms of balcony. A lot of days we even left the balcony door open when we were going slow.

We cruised in October forward Penthouse and didn't have a problem with the wind. What I didn't like is the fact that if you're outside and sitting down.......reading, eating, sunning, relaxing, etc. you couldn't see out to the water as their is no glass to see through but all metal.

We had to stand in order to see anything other than the sky.

I loved being forward however, this ship and I don't know what other ships don't have glass to see through but are metal. I'd book another forward if I knew for sure it was glass but simply don't know which ships have glass and which have metal! LOL

Harriet

We were just in 10500 on the Jewel. I was worried about windy and a bumpy ride. We usually have aft suites. Nothing to worry about at all. It was FABULOUS!!!!! We spent more time out there than we ever have before. Naps every afternoon, wine and cheese every evening. Dessert and star gazing every night. We had very calm seas and not much wind. It was very comfortable and the best suite we have ever had in terms of balcony. A lot of days we even left the balcony door open when we were going slow.

My cabin on the Pearl next month!!! Glad you enjoyed it. We usually have aft also and I have been a bit hesitant about the forward. So much so that I have checked and there is still one aft PH left. You have reassured me and I will now keep my forward PH. What sold me on 10500 is the size - the other PH are quite a bit smaller. Thank you for your input!!!

We just got off of the Sun in cabin 9002 on February 3rd. If you are sitting down you have to strain to look over the metal bulkhead and wooden railing. Although we never ate on the balcony we never found the wind to be overwhelming either when sitting or standing. BTW, the cabin is fabulous.

Jay

I was in cabin 9000 on the Jewel last month. I was also hesitant about booking a forward cabin because of the wind. I was pleasantly surprised. We were able to use the balcony everyday except the last sea day heading back to New Orleans. The cold temperature was really more of a factor than the wind. I would not hesitate to book a forward cabin in the future.

I usually book AFT Penthouse which is what I have on the Jewel in October but I have had the Bow Penthouse on the Star going on the Panama Canal Cruise and for that Cruise it is the best. The fun thing about the foward Penthouse Suites is cruising out to Sea all of the Cruisers in the Suites stand at the Rail and visit back and forth. We would Set on the Lounge Chairs all the way back by the Cabin and read and you don't have a wind problem. Had a couple of Sailaways with other fellow passengers with Wine and Cheese and we all sat there for a long time. This Balcony is Huge ( about 270 feet) but on the Owners Suite (Jewel and Pearl) the front Balcony you will experience more wind. But you would have a Side BAlcony also. The middle Balconys are much larger than the ones on the sides (Owners Suite's) There is nothing better than the Sailaway on the Front of the Ship.

I probably sound like a broken record (remember what those were?) about this, but:

We love, love, love the forward facing suites, particularly on the Jewel class ships where the balconies on the forward suites are enormous.

Yes, they can be windy underway, but only if you're standing at the railing. It's always possible to move back and find some shelter from the steel walls around you, and still enjoy the sun and the air.

However, to my knowledge none of the NCL ships has forward balconies with glass (as they are on the sides of the ship) so it's not possible to see directly forward of the ship when you are sitting down. I'd be surprised if any ship had glass walls on forward balconies, due to the potential for wave damage in storms.

I'm really sorry to see the new classes of NCL ships being built without forward balconies. A real loss, IMO.