Live from the Caribbean Princess

marlinmike

Having a ball, flat seas and lots of sun. One thing I'd like to settle. I asked a room service guy and he said there is NO OFF ROOM SERVICE ORDERING. They used to allow it, but no more. We need to let Princess know how we feel about that. That means only a continental breakfast was being offered this morning. :( Don't understand the marketing stragety there....

Marlin

So glad to hear only one gliche so far in your trip. I totally agree with you, I love having a "real" breakfast on my balcony, not pastries. But I'm sure that won't ruin your trip. Have a great time & keep us "live" as much as possible.

Barbara from Philly

Can you do me a favor and find out exactly what is obstructing my cabin? I have 406 on the Emerald Deck. It is midship between the front set of lifeboats and the back set. Also, can people on the promenade see into them ( I think the windows are higher than that)? I am wondering about lights on the promenade at night shining into the room, I hope the curtains are very light-blocking. Any info you can provide will be great, especially a picture or two.

I am in no hurry , it will be okay if you want to wait until your return. I have a few weeks until I sail. I can be e-mailed at my user name at Yahoo.com.

THANK YOU!!

Can you confirm that Chankanaab in Cozumel (the beach and snorkeling part - not the dolphin part) is closed for a month due to Hurricane Emily? Of all the vacations I've taken, one day in Chankanaab 4 years ago ranks at the top of My Best Vacation Days Ever list. We're sailing this Saturday and I hear it's closed. Thanks. Have a great week!

Suzan

One thing I'd like to settle. I asked a room service guy and he said there is NO OFF ROOM SERVICE ORDERING. They used to allow it, but no more. We need to let Princess know how we feel about that. That means only a continental breakfast was being offered this morning. :( Don't understand the marketing stragety there....

Marlin

Man, that really torques me off. Before I decided between a HAL and Princess cruise last month, I specifically asked the TA about ordering a room-service full breakfast, since I had heard some reports of it being refused. The TA got on the horn with Princess as I was on hold, then said that Princess Customer Service said yes, just write it on the menu. If I had not gotten that answer, I would have booked HAL.

This will seem like a small thing to some, but it's a discriminator for me, when the rest of the perks are very, very close between HAL, Princess and Celebrity. We really enjoy a hot, full breakfast on the balcony in our robes.

In fact, thanks for letting me know about this. I will requery the TA and get the name of a Princess rep who says it's OK to order hot breakfast for room service. Might give me a bit of leverage. If I get it tomorrow, I'll post it here. Might give you leverage as well. Good luck.

The room service breakfast issue has been discussed often on these threads, and it seems as if Princess is tightening up on their old practice of allowing passengers to write in hot items. Another thorny question is whether they allow you to have items off the dinner menu delivered to your cabin during dinner hours, which also used to be easily accessed. Maybe it's because Princess now offers elaborate breakfast and dinner room service meals for a fee, but I know it's been a big disappointment to many of us. But if I'm reading correctly, there is still some variation on this from ship to ship, perhaps even on the same ship form different personnel. Has anyone accomplished either of these recently on any of the Princess ships???? I noticed on another thread here that a hot breakfast was delivered just last week on the Golden, so we know it's being done there, at least.

Man, that really torques me off. Before I decided between a HAL and Princess cruise last month, I specifically asked the TA about ordering a room-service full breakfast, .

What really gets me is that you can call Princess and get one answer, then read something like this, call back, and be told "I'm sorry the person who initially told you that was wrong".

I called Princess at the end of May when I booked the CB for this Saturday, 7/30 and saw that I was #170 on the waitlist for traditional dining. The Princess customer service rep told me that 2 weeks before sailing, someone would look at a seating chart for the dining rooms and take all the changes people have made since booking and that I would see the waitlist number change. She said that in her experience, most everyone waitlisted gets in. Today when I called the rep says that was wrong info, that's not how it's done, and I most certainly will not see a change to my waitlist # before the cruise. I asked about ordering a full breakfast through room service and she says, no, only off the menu.

So when I questioned why I get 2 different answers when I call, they transferred me to someone else (a supervisor?). She also says the first rep 2 months ago was mistaken about the waitlist. So then I read her your post and told her what was actually happening on the ship and she checked with "Special Services" and came back and told me you can only order what's on the room service menu unless you want to pay for the special package of breakfast on the balcony. I asked her why everyone at Princess isn't on the same page, and of course, she had no answer for that.

You're right, these are very small issues and certainly won't affect the great vacation I plan to have, but it's annoying.

We were in suite D737 on CB and order a full breakfast on two different occations. And I mena "full". Bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, Corn Flakes, orange juice, coffee, danish. Just filled in the card and they brought it.

Now let me say this. :( We never ordered Corn Flakes, danish or suasage and they didn't bring the French toast or hot cakes. But all in all not bad.

Last week the movies were

Ice Age

Toy Story

Finding Nemo

Grease

Shrek

Big

Spiderman

Fever Pitch

Princess Bride

Spkash

E.T.

Hitch

Jurassic Park

Meet The Fockers

Monsters Inc.

Back To The Future

Raiders of The Lost Ark

National Treasure

Hard Days Night

Harry Potter

Finding Neverland

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Tina Turner in concert

Tom Jones in concert

Diana Krall in Concert

Beyonce in Concert

Wizard of Oz

I know many of you will say this isn't the same but my husband went up to the horizon court and brought breakfast back to our room and then we ate on the balcony. It wasn't room service, but he didn't mind and we weren't far away so it worked well for us. It was great eating breakfast on the balcony. We also did the Ultimate Balcony dinner. Talk about an awesome experience!

I know many of you will say this isn't the same but my husband went up to the horizon court and brought breakfast back to our room and then we ate on the balcony. It wasn't room service, but he didn't mind and we weren't far away so it worked well for us. It was great eating breakfast on the balcony. We also did the Ultimate Balcony dinner. Talk about an awesome experience!

Yep. it ain't the same, 'cuz now I gotta put on something besides my Spiderman boxers:eek: ;) and then trudge around and think.

Has anyone tried tipping the room steward extra to bring up a hot breakfast? I know it's not their job, but I suspect they'd be happy to do it if they don't get in any trouble, and if the $ is worth it.

We were there on the 7/16 western. I don't know about the park being open but we went to paradise beach and playa sanfrancisco beach and what a dump.Nothing but flies at the bar and in the sand.

granted Emily did some damage but We were very dissappointed that no one from princess gave a heads up. Go somewhere else, better yet stay on the ship. Jamacia is also another real dump.Poverty everywhere.The ships port there is an old silica mining building.

Can you confirm that Chankanaab in Cozumel (the beach and snorkeling part - not the dolphin part) is closed for a month due to Hurricane Emily? Of all the vacations I've taken, one day in Chankanaab 4 years ago ranks at the top of My Best Vacation Days Ever list. We're sailing this Saturday and I hear it's closed. Thanks. Have a great week!

Suzan

Having a ball, flat seas and lots of sun. One thing I'd like to settle. I asked a room service guy and he said there is NO OFF ROOM SERVICE ORDERING. They used to allow it, but no more. We need to let Princess know how we feel about that. That means only a continental breakfast was being offered this morning. :( Don't understand the marketing stragety there....

Marlin

Marlin - Read your e-mail - I sent you an Ultimate balcony Breakfast - Hope it gets to you - Go to the Purser and let them know you didn't receive your gift from us....

Suncat

This question may be better asked as its own thread, but here goes. First let me begin by thanking you for taking on such a responsibility. When someone chooses to post from onboard it takes a lot of bravery. I couldn't do it, with all of the questions and some of them very peculiar (like that of my own ;) ), I would never find time for my vacation.

My questions is regarding the crew and captain. Do you happen to know when the crew is changing/leaving? I was curious if we will have a fresh(er) crew or one that is waiting out the week to head on vacation. Also, how long is Captain Romano staying onboard? We are wondering if we will have the opportunity to sail with him on our upcoming voyage. Thanks again. I understand if you can't find this out, as it is a little off the wall. Enjoy and happy sailings!

We were in suite D737 on CB and order a full breakfast on two different occations. And I mena "full". Bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, Corn Flakes, orange juice, coffee, danish. Just filled in the card and they brought it.

Now let me say this. :( We never ordered Corn Flakes, danish or suasage and they didn't bring the French toast or hot cakes. But all in all not bad.

I will be in your suite on the 2/11 sailing. Maybe you were able to order a full breakfast because you were in a suite. Let me know how you liked the accomodations and service and location of that suite. I will traveling with my family totaling 11 people - 7 adults & 4 kids all on the same deck, so whatever you can add will be helpful. my e-mail is foreverr@aol.com Thanks!

For those of you who are on this ship and got "off the menu" service - lucky you. I asked and was told no and that's what I posted. We didn't even try to order any room service anyway.

Ladeebug - We can't tell how obstructed your cabin is because we can't get in it to see.

MaryPoppinz - Don't know about the excursion in Coz because everytime we're by the desk, it's closed.

Thanks for the Champange Breakfast, Suncat, it was WONDERFUL.

FYI: We had an announcement during dinner last night that they are having technical dificulities with the ship so they're slowing it down and we're not stopping in Princess Cays today. We will make it to port on time Saturday morning. I was kinda hoping we wouldn't make it back for a couple of days, but no dice :)

Marlin

Marlinmike.....didn't want you to actually go into someone's cabin,LOL.

I thought maybe you could tell from the promenade deck. Apparently the windows are in view from that deck, the best I can figure from some pictures I've seen. I think from the promenade you can see what is obstructing the windows. We are between the front set of lifeboats and the back set.

Archived