San Juan - check in and disembark

I'm getting conflicting information about this.

We are leaving on the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan.

Basically we'd like to check in between Noon-1pm, leave some things in the cabin that we don't want to carry around, then go to Old San Juan for a few hours.

C&A told me once we are on board in San Juan we could not leave.

One other CC'er told me yes we could disembark.

I'm looking for anyone who has actually done this, and what the process looks like. I'm assuming you disembark through a separate gangway, etc.

Basically we'd like to check in between Noon-1pm, leave some things in the cabin that we don't want to carry around, then go to Old San Juan for a few hours.

I'm looking for anyone who has actually done this, and what the process looks like. I'm assuming you disembark through a separate gangway, etc.

I did this myself a few weeks ago. You leave through the same gangway as you entered.

Only caveat is that staterooms might not be available until about 1:30pm or even 2pm. So if you want to drop your things in your stateroom, you will likely have to wait until sometime after 1pm.

Our group of six did this in December 2010. Even though our rooms were not "technically" ready, we went up and left our carry-ons there and informed the cabin steward. No problem. However, just be aware that Sunday afternoon in OSJ can be packed. The taxi driver would not take us all the up to the forts due to traffic. When we wanted to return, we walked all the way down to the OSJ pier to get a taxi back to the ship at the PanAm pier. Traffic was gridlocked and barely snaking down one way streets. We walked faster than traffic moved. So allow plenty of time to return!

If you've got a hotel "pre night" the better move would be to leave your luggage at the hotel, tour, and then collect your luggage, cab over and board later. The ship is at the Pan Am pier, which is not within walking distance of OSJ, or the attractions in the area, so you'd have to cab over, leave your bags (after 1 PM as Bob mentioned) cab back to OSJ and then cab back to the PA pier. That's a lot of cab rides...and it cuts into your time and your budget.

If you don't have/need a hotel room, you can take a cab from the airport to Barrachina a restaurant in OSJ. They will hold your luggage, (no charge and no obligation to eat there, but they do appreciate a tip) and you can tour OSJ on foot, then pick up your bags, take a cab to the PA pier and embark later. Just watch your cut off times for boarding (in your docs) the OSJ traffic can be snarly, so leave a little extra time!:D

If you've got a hotel "pre night" the better move would be to leave your luggage at the hotel, tour, and then collect your luggage, cab over and board later. The ship is at the Pan Am pier, which is not within walking distance of OSJ, or the attractions in the area, so you'd have to cab over, leave your bags (after 1 PM as Bob mentioned) cab back to OSJ and then cab back to the PA pier. That's a lot of cab rides...and it cuts into your time and your budget.

We're flying in the day before but don't get there until 6pm. (We are staying near the airport at the Embassy Suites because there are 5 of us and it's the only reasonably priced option. i.e. All 5 of us have a bed for $260)

I'm not sure I follow your suggestion of a 'better move.'

Leaving our luggage the hotel: (3 cab rides)

-Going to OSJ

-Back to the hotel to retrieve luggage

-Then to the port.

Dropping off luggage at the port: (3 cab rides)

- Taking our luggage to the port

- Then going to OSJ

- Back to the port.

Our group of six did this in December 2010. Even though our rooms were not "technically" ready, we went up and left our carry-ons there and informed the cabin steward. No problem. However, just be aware that Sunday afternoon in OSJ can be packed. The taxi driver would not take us all the up to the forts due to traffic. When we wanted to return, we walked all the way down to the OSJ pier to get a taxi back to the ship at the PanAm pier. Traffic was gridlocked and barely snaking down one way streets. We walked faster than traffic moved. So allow plenty of time to return!

Thanks!

Traffic will certainly be an issue to keep an eye on.

We don't have any problems walking to the pier for a cab, or up to the fort.

Edited by ewenix
Typo. Can't type today.