Sapphire internet access

roylenes

We are debating on whether to take our laptop or just use the computers on the ship. Princess brochure mentions wireless access available near pursers' desk. Is there a charge for this? Also, does anyone know how the charges compare to the internet lounge (using their computers) and the hours they are open. Was there a problem getting a computer? Any info would be helpful. We are sailing Alaska's inside passage in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help.

Roylene

The cost at the internet cafe to use Princess' computers is .35/minute.

The cost to bring your own laptop and use wireless is the same but you must buy it in 30 minute increments ($10.50 for 30 minutes).

Internet in Alaska can either be non-existant, slow or fast or a combination of all 3 during the week. The internet cafes are usually open 24 hours a day and while I haven't been on the Sapphire - I haven't had any problems getting access to the computers on other ships.

We are debating on whether to take our laptop or just use the computers on the ship. Princess brochure mentions wireless access available near pursers' desk. Is there a charge for this? Also, does anyone know how the charges compare to the internet lounge (using their computers) and the hours they are open. Was there a problem getting a computer? Any info would be helpful. We are sailing Alaska's inside passage in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help.

Roylene

The fees for Internet access are the same, 35 cents a minute, in the Internet cafe and in the atrium area (using your wireless ready laptop). The difference is that in the Internet cafe it's 35 cents a minute, by the minute. When connecting via wireless you buy 30 minute blocks of time for $10.50.

We took our laptop and bought a 30 minute block of time. Then we logged on and got our email, then logged off. Since the "clock is stopped" you can take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send the replies, and log off.

No muss, no fuss...and 30 minutes will go a long way. We used one 30 minute block of time to check our email four different times. It would have cost more than $10.50 to check our email four times in the Internet cafe.

You also don't need to wonder if the Internet cafe has a computer open, since you'll be using your own laptop.

Thank you Coral and Paul for the info. I think the laptop will stay at home(not like I don't have enough to take without it).

This website and the forums are so helpful!!!! I really get excited about upcoming trips and have gotten very valuable information to make our vacations even more enjoyable.

Thank you again,

Roylene

I believe that the Sapphire is a twin to the Diamond, which we were on last January. The Diamond had a lovely internet cafe with a coffee bar (for a fee) and free pastries. There were plenty of computers, we never had a wait and really enjoyed sitting there. It is in the spot usually reserved for the Wheelhouse Bar on the Grand-class ships, in the middle of the Promenade deck.

Originally Posted by Paul from Maryland: "The fees for Internet access are the same, 35 cents a minute, in the Internet cafe and in the atrium area (using your wireless ready laptop). The difference is that in the Internet cafe it's 35 cents a minute, by the minute. When connecting via wireless you buy 30 minute blocks of time for $10.50.

We took our laptop and bought a 30 minute block of time. Then we logged on and got our email, then logged off. Since the "clock is stopped" you can take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send the replies, and log off.

No muss, no fuss...and 30 minutes will go a long way. We used one 30 minute block of time to check our email four different times. It would have cost more than $10.50 to check our email four times in the Internet cafe."

Paul, I have a question for you. How do you get your email quickly and log off. Seems that if you open the email copy and send it to a "word" program that it could take awhile too. Just interested cuz it sounds like a great idea.

Thanks, Buzbon

Paul, I have a question for you. How do you get your email quickly and log off. Seems that if you open the email copy and send it to a "word" program that it could take awhile too. Just interested cuz it sounds like a great idea.

I believe that's exactly how we did it. Just select all, copy, then paste in to any text editor. Only takes a few seconds. Open a new document for any emails you want to reply to, pasting the contents in to the document.

Then compose your replies in the same document. Finally, log back on, and reverse the process (copying and pasting from the document in to a new email document).

It sounds harder than it really is.

If you are platinum or above and have free time on the net , it does NOt apply to your lap top . That's the way it was a year ago and I doubt it has changed .You can always check with Princess to get the latest scoop .

Archived