Splendor 2/21/14 to 3/1/14 quick review

jayjaykaykay

Easiest embarkation of any cruise,we were on board less than 30 minutes

after the taxi dropped us off.This was true for the whole trip.Not really any lines at all,I'm sure we were sailing light.

Food was fine with one glaring bad experience on seaday brunch.

MDR staff was great,Lido had nice selections,pizza was very good,room service very slow,over an hour for 1 item.

Had a great couple ,Ann & Chuck from NJ,as dinner mates.

The décor is a bit gaudy as has been noted,but the artwork around the ship is beautiful,once you figure out your way around,lol

Staff was great,very friendly for the most part,did karaoke (sp) lots of fun.got robbed on Legends tryouts,trivia was almost everyday,picked up some ship on sticks.Cabin Sreward was fantastic,rarely saw him.but cabin was always well taken care of.

Did Airboat tour in Port Canaveral---LOTS of fun ! try it if you can.

Freeport tour was cancelled,Nassau,shopped,hit the Hard Rock and strolled around....all were nice and WARM !

Guest performers were WOW! Consuela Ivy was amazing,one of the best singers I've ever seen...great show too. Juggler was funny and talented,I think his name was Kyle? sorry! Comic were funny saw all four shows.

The only strange thing was,arriving back in NYC you could see ice hanging off the bridge:eek: Yes, you are back in NYC! Already thinking about the next one....4 days to Gold !

Any questions...feel free....:)

Easiest embarkation of any cruise,we were on board less than 30 minutes

after the taxi dropped us off.This was true for the whole trip.Not really any lines at all,I'm sure we were sailing light.

Food was fine with one glaring bad experience on seaday brunch.

MDR staff was great,Lido had nice selections,pizza was very good,room service very slow,over an hour for 1 item.

Had a great couple ,Ann & Chuck from NJ,as dinner mates.

The décor is a bit gaudy as has been noted,but the artwork around the ship is beautiful,once you figure out your way around,lol

Staff was great,very friendly for the most part,did karaoke (sp) lots of fun.got robbed on Legends tryouts,trivia was almost everyday,picked up some ship on sticks.Cabin Sreward was fantastic,rarely saw him.but cabin was always well taken care of.

Did Airboat tour in Port Canaveral---LOTS of fun ! try it if you can.

Freeport tour was cancelled,Nassau,shopped,hit the Hard Rock and strolled around....all were nice and WARM !

Guest performers were WOW! Consuela Ivy was amazing,one of the best singers I've ever seen...great show too. Juggler was funny and talented,I think his name was Kyle? sorry! Comic were funny saw all four shows.

The only strange thing was,arriving back in NYC you could see ice hanging off the bridge:eek: Yes, you are back in NYC! Already thinking about the next one....4 days to Gold !

Any questions...feel free....:)

Do the rooms have refridgerators??

We leave on Mar 9th. very excited was the buffet crowed at lunch, and did they close the roof on the center pool?

The buffet is split into 2 sections with the pizza and grill on the pool side--yes they close the roof---and tandoori and the deli on the aft side,and the back section has the rotisserie up the double stairs---think Boston Market---that will be EMPTY on embarkation day...have a great time !

The buffet is split into 2 sections with the pizza and grill on the pool side--yes they close the roof---and tandoori and the deli on the aft side,and the back section has the rotisserie up the double stairs---think Boston Market---that will be EMPTY on embarkation day...have a great time !

no it wasn't crowded....

Thanks for the review.

What time were you able to disembark (we are planning on doing self disembarkation and have a FTTF pass)? We have an 11:05am flight from LGA which I'm nervous about making.

Thanks for the great review. We get on 3/9-- our 29th anniversary!!

What street is the pier on?

If it is warm we may walk up from the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

We usually walk to NCL but I think Carnival may be up the street a few more blocks.

What did you do in Freeport?

What kind of movies did they show outside?

Did you use the fancy Spa? Did you buy a Spa pass?

I hope I didn't ask too much :) Thank you in advance!!! :)

Thanks for the review.

What time were you able to disembark (we are planning on doing self disembarkation and have a FTTF pass)? We have an 11:05am flight from LGA which I'm nervous about making.

We had FTTF for our cruise last Sept. Also self-assist disembark. I believe we were in the car and on our way about 7:45 am. I was surprised how fast we were off the ship and through customs.

f

Thanks for the review JayKay2. Where was your room?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My Son & I had 7221 fwd stbd On Empress...we were just aft of the bridge and could see into the right side of it...we also had weed drifting by a few times and also smelled it in the hallway on 7 a couple of times...talk about a party cruise---we surmised they are not cracking down as much in the past...we found the same on the NCL Gem last Jan....perhaps the USA's relaxed attitude from state to state has had an effect----most of theses ships sail from foreign bases where pot is looked at askance

so the staff is not so interested? who knows?

f

My Son & I had 7221 fwd stbd On Empress...we were just aft of the bridge and could see into the right side of it...we also had weed drifting by a few times and also smelled it in the hallway on 7 a couple of times...talk about a party cruise---we surmised they are not cracking down as much in the past...we found the same on the NCL Gem last Jan....perhaps the USA's relaxed attitude from state to state has had an effect----most of theses ships sail from foreign bases where pot is looked at askance

Cool, that's just around the corner from the front row of cabins that we will be in during our June cruise. Did you go out to the forward deck at the end of the hall? Our window will look onto it and I'm intrigued by it based on what I have read.

Cheers!

Thanks for the review.

We ALWAYS do self assist---7 was called about 9am +/-and were hopping into a cab about 20 min later,,,,with a flight---?they did 11-10--1--2 first..depending on your deck---you should be off pretty quick---DO NOT put your luggage out the night b4----you never know how long to find it AND you get off last... have A GREAT trip----I am debating going on the 9th again by myself for the 1st time....DO WHAT SCARES YOU !:)

Cool, that's just around the corner from the front row of cabins that we will be in during our June cruise. Did you go out to the forward deck at the end of the hall? Our window will look onto it and I'm intrigued by it based on what I have read.

Cheers!

We Had a similar room on the Glory---They are Great!--yes we accessed it ,but had our own balcony---mostly for photos coming/going---but if you get one of these cabins--the deck is used mostly by those near to you and is NEVER crowded---keep the blinds closed because they WILL peek in !:) Enjoy !

Thanks for the great review. We get on 3/9-- our 29th anniversary!!

What street is the pier on?

If it is warm we may walk up from the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

We usually walk to NCL but I think Carnival may be up the street a few more blocks.

What did you do in Freeport?

What kind of movies did they show outside?

Did you use the fancy Spa? Did you buy a Spa pass?

I hope I didn't ask too much :) Thank you in advance!!! :)

56th street

20 blocks walk in NYC winter hauling bags---NOT A GOOD IDEA !

NCL & CCL leave from the same piers...

FREEPORT was a was.much like PC ---no excursions? nothing to do

Movies? usually one in the aft/then a couple in then

yes in the eve.s----No spa ....

f

We were on the same cruise. We had the L shaped cabin on deck 8 right next to aft wrap and you surely could smell funky stuff! :p Funny thing is, when we disembarked and walked out of the terminal, there was a drug sniffing black lab there...must have taken the day off the day we embarked! One of the lst times we have been on a ship that had the movie screen on Lido. Got sick of seeing the beach scenes over and over, but I will never be sick of a Tina Turner concert, and I can't even hear lol. :p Try the garlic white pizza. Very good...only thing I was disappointed with was that they did not show the film clip of the "ships of the fleet" at the past guest party. Most pax moan and groan when the film comes on, but I LOVE seeing all the ships and everyone clapping and cheering for the ships they have been on. Not sure if they just stopped doing the film or Woo Hoo took up too much time...:confused: Anyone sailing on the Splendor in the future: remember deck 5 goes cross ship. So if you want to go to MDR or atrium, go to deck 5 and then either walk down or take another elevator. This is why I love the Spirit class of ships, but we got used to it and we earned our WCMC! ;);)

56th street

20 blocks walk in NYC winter hauling bags---NOT A GOOD IDEA !

NCL & CCL leave from the same piers...

FREEPORT was a was.much like PC ---no excursions? nothing to do

Movies? usually one in the aft/then a couple in then

yes in the eve.s----No spa ....

Thank you! Not going to walk. NCL is 48th so we walk. Yes we have done it in the Winter--we're new Yorkers, we're tough! Im not walking to 56th however! I'll take a cab!

We were on the same cruise. We had the L shaped cabin on deck 8 right next to aft wrap and you surely could smell funky stuff! :p Funny thing is, when we disembarked and walked out of the terminal, there was a drug sniffing black lab there...must have taken the day off the day we embarked! One of the lst times we have been on a ship that had the movie screen on Lido. Got sick of seeing the beach scenes over and over, but I will never be sick of a Tina Turner concert, and I can't even hear lol. :p Try the garlic white pizza. Very good...only thing I was disappointed with was that they did not show the film clip of the "ships of the fleet" at the past guest party. Most pax moan and groan when the film comes on, but I LOVE seeing all the ships and everyone clapping and cheering for the ships they have been on. Not sure if they just stopped doing the film or Woo Hoo took up too much time...:confused: Anyone sailing on the Splendor in the future: remember deck 5 goes cross ship. So if you want to go to MDR or atrium, go to deck 5 and then either walk down or take another elevator. This is why I love the Spirit class of ships, but we got used to it and we earned our WCMC! ;);)

The stairs that they show near your room,are they for passengers?

The stairs that they show near your room,are they for passengers?

No, for the crew and I have to tell you, we loved the location and loved the room, but it was the NOISIEST room...DH slept the whole day we got home cuz he didn't get any sleep on the ship! Chairs scraping over head early in the morning...so beware if you are a light sleeper. :eek:

No, for the crew and I have to tell you, we loved the location and loved the room, but it was the NOISIEST room...DH slept the whole day we got home cuz he didn't get any sleep on the ship! Chairs scraping over head early in the morning...so beware if you are a light sleeper. :eek:

That was because you were under Lido on deck 9. My DD's had the L-shaped on deck 6 starboard while we had the aft-wrap and we didn't hear any noise.

But, on another cruise, we had a balcony on deck 8 and heard alot of scraping and dragging from the Lido above us.