Best Ways to Save Money on Drinks

Actually, this just made me think to check my receipts from the Getaway. The cost of beer has gone up a bit from last year, but not too much. This was the price in mid January this year:

Sam Adams $5.25

Strongbow $5.25

Angry Orchard $5.95

I've only ever seem Strongbow in bottles, not draught, but there are often beers available which aren't listed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cruise on Celebrity! I am not trying to be flippant and have cruised on NCL as much as any line and generally like it. That said X has been promoting a classic drink package last year and this year that can be an unbelievable value and will have us looking to them on Carribbean cruises while they offer this.

(I see that the NCL is 'copying' this for suites on some Breakaway and Getaway sailings).

We returned several months ago from the Refelection and I counted approx. 116 drinks over 7 days. This probably would have been a bar bill of 900- 1000+ as many know, drinks can add up quickly. The beauty part is that you show your cabin card no signing. We had purchased the premium package so wines to 12 dollars were included as well as cocktails to 14 I believe.

While we looked at other options for our Jan cruise next year, when one considers the value of this for moderate/heavy drinkers it was impossible for us to resist and we booked X again.

Don't know if they are making money on this but if you have experienced it

it can be a game changer- it was for us.

JMHO

Celebrity was a close second when deciding to try another cruiseline other than RCCL but, since we wanted to leave close from home for this last minute cruise Celebrity was only offering a 6 nighter..Where NCL offered a 7 night for less, maybe will try one day I have read their drink package is awesome.

This past weekend I had, for the first time, an "Angry Balls": An Angry Orchard Apple Hard Cider with a shot of Fireball whiskey. Delicious! I highly recommend it! :D
That is a staple for us, much like bread and milk are a staple for others. We have already planned to rum-runner a small bottle of Fireball on board so we can put shots in our apple beer. Who drinks apple cider beer without a shot of cinnamon?! No one around here! :D

Very familiar with Southampton -I actually have to head there next week for my eyedoctor :p Small world!

Please don't tell me it's Dr. Boyajian. He used to be mine before I married and moved 40 miles away 30 years ago. Now THAT would be freaky! LOL

Harriet

Thanks for all the tips, how do I find out what places have the cheapest drinks. Thats crazy that on the same ship, the same drinks are different prices in different bars.

Also, are the free liquor tastings really free? they just give you free shots of whatever liquors you want? It sounds like there must be a catch?

What are some cases in which NCL WOULD serve complimentary alcohol? This is my first NCL cruise so I dont get any latitudes benefits, yet.

Ive been to Mexico, drinking there was so cheap! I'm guessing you were drinking the typical $1 Sols there :D love! Does anyone have an idea of some good places for drinks in Port Canaveral or Nassau?

Port Canaveral has a place there called Rustys you get buy one get one free win and well drinks from 4 to 6 I just got back from there I have a place there and now the Breakaway is going there and I will be on her LOL. and in Mexico go to the liquor store and you can drink all you want for free they have a bar there so you can taste every thing before you buy it.

Thanks for all the tips, how do I find out what places have the cheapest drinks. Thats crazy that on the same ship, the same drinks are different prices in different bars.

Also, are the free liquor tastings really free? they just give you free shots of whatever liquors you want? It sounds like there must be a catch?

What are some cases in which NCL WOULD serve complimentary alcohol? This is my first NCL cruise so I dont get any latitudes benefits, yet.

Ive been to Mexico, drinking there was so cheap! I'm guessing you were drinking the typical $1 Sols there :D love! Does anyone have an idea of some good places for drinks in Port Canaveral or Nassau?

Port Canaveral has a place there called Rustys you get buy one get one free win and well drinks from 4 to 6 I just got back from there I have a place there and now the Breakaway is going there and I will be on her LOL. and in Mexico go to the liquor store and you can drink all you want for free they have a bar there so you can taste every thing before you buy it.

I'll cruise with my wife on Gem May 24 and consider to buy UBP.

As I understood I have to buy 2 packages.

Could anybody tell me how it works? Will I receive some badge or card?

How often I'll be able order next drink? and so so.

Please don't tell me it's Dr. Boyajian. He used to be mine before I married and moved 40 miles away 30 years ago. Now THAT would be freaky! LOL

Harriet

No! haha His name is Dr. Parks, but that would be really crazy if it were the same!

Could anybody tell me how it works? Will I receive some badge or card?

How often I'll be able order next drink? and so so.

They will put a sticker on your keycards that you have to show when you order your drinks. You can only order one drink at a time, but as soon as you finish it, you can order another one. You may find that some bartenders are less strict about the rules than others.

If you like wine, you could take a few bottles onboard with you. Yes, you will have to pay the corkage fee, but chances are it will still be cheaper in the end.

I definitely recommend the martini and margarita tastings. Try them and see if you like them before you pay for a full size drink.

I am with you on being bummed about the availability of the UBP. We are stuck with cruising Spring Break because of our kids' schedules (dang kids! :p) so no UBP. Good luck and have a great time!

Are you on the roll call, I assume you're on the getaway march 22? We will be on that sailing too. My kids are DS11, DS9, and DD5. Would like to meet some other people with kids my kids ages. Especially if they are boys! =)

Just off the Breakaway on Sunday. The Martini Tastings were $15 for 6- 3oz. Martinis. They were awesome! They had them available everyday at the Martini bar (Shakers?) Enjoy!

Do you have to sign up for these tastings real early to get a spot, like as soon as you get on the ship? Or do you just watch for when it is on the daily and then show up?

in my opinion, you might not end up spending more than if you purchased the drink package. I have not cruised NCL, but we have purchased the package on RCI and Carnival and both times broke even. We are not huge drinkers, but on sea days we would probably have 7-10 drinks over the course of the day. Port days 5 drinks?

in my opinion, you might not end up spending more than if you purchased the drink package. I have not cruised NCL, but we have purchased the package on RCI and Carnival and both times broke even. We are not huge drinkers, but on sea days we would probably have 7-10 drinks over the course of the day. Port days 5 drinks?

7 to 10 drinks each or combined? That makes a huge difference :D

Prepay a good amount at the service desk when you get onboard. I do this for my gratuities so I don't worry about it during the cruise. Go on the cruise with a positive attitude. Also look for drink specials. Like buckets of beer or 2 for 1 martini's

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate not getting flamed when I mentioned the X free drink perk.

I do think it is an amazing deal if it is on a ship and itinerary you like. For me it suits the Carib cruises as I do not see myself using it half as much on an Alaska or Europe cruise particularly if there are many ports.

I was intrigued at the NCL offer of Breakaway and Getaway Haven Suites

offering dining AND drink packages at no cost. That was interesting but dates were limited for us and it seems as if many of the more basic suites had already sold out. I wonder if this 'all inclusive' approach may become more mainstream in the future.

I have been on 2 NCL cruises out of NY and both times I brought a bottle of vodka onto the ship in my carry on. Both times I told the person at the security scanner that I had wine in my bag before they scanned it. Both times I was told to just go pay the corkage fee before checking in. I did also have wine so I paid the corkage fee and went on my way. Neither time did anyone ask for me to open my bag. Worst case senario is they would take the bottle and give it back at the end of the cruise. I have also brought on the tiny airplane botttles in my checked luggage (just a few) and also had no problem.

You should have had to present the wine bottles in order to pay the corkage fee. They would have affixed the "Corkage Paid" sticker on each bottle.

Do you have to sign up for these tastings real early to get a spot, like as soon as you get on the ship? Or do you just watch for when it is on the daily and then show up?

On smaller ships, we just showed up at the time shown on the Dailies. On the larger ships, we got to the location early so that we were assured a spot. Not sure if there was a way to sign up early. You could certainly ask at one of the bars to see if there is a sign up sheet.

We always bring rum runners, we have different sizes so we can sneak on different alcohols. We also bring a few different mixers with us. Haven't had any issues yet, but we'll see on the next one.

Have also heard really good things about martini tasting as mentioned on the forum, so will try that next time!

Yes we are in the same boat (no pun intended lol) and feel the same as you. Had we known we would have booked another date, another ship??? whatever. We do not party a lot or drink heavy in our daily lives but while on vacation i would prefer not to ask myself all the time..."So what does that cost and how much are we spending"

They could just limit the college kids....right?