Question for those of you who like sea days but have sailed out of San Juan

jdkbrim

San Juan has been one of my favorite port stops, but I've never had enough time to do/see what I would like. In theory, I love the idea of flying in a few days early to tour San Juan and then going on a cruise. However, the cruises out of San Juan are port intensive. I enjoy having days to not get up early, sit on a lounge chair to read a book, and watching shows at night. I've been reading up about San Juan cruises, and people mention going to bed early and picking a day to stay on the boat. Well, St. Thomas is the only port on this itinerary that we've been to and it's always at the beginning of the trip. If I'm going to pay to fly (we normally drive to our ports to save money), I want to experience all the new ports. However, I don't want to be exhausted at the end of the week. I'd love to here from those who also like sea days but have enjoyed cruising out of San Juan. I really wish I could do the repositioning cruise on the Splendor (San Juan, new ports, and sea days), but the dates don't work with my husband's work schedule.

Just because a ship pulls into port, doesn't mean you have to get off right away and tour until all aboard.

We did this cruise 2 years ago, most of these islands are enjoyable with a short tour in the morning (if you want to see any of the island) and an afternoon drop off at beach time or back at the ship.

We went to St. John from St. Thomas taking the relaxing ship excursion right from the pier, in Barbados we snorkeled with the sea turtles, then returned to the ship in the afternoon. In St. Lucia, we had a morning snorkel tour and were back on the ship by 2:00pm. In St. Kitts we did a morning tour of the island, then got dropped off at the beach for the rest of the afternoon. In St. Maarten, we took a taxi and relaxed on the beach all day at Maho and watched the planes land.

___

Now if you want to go hiking or anything strenuous on your cruise - yes, you will be tired at the end of the week!

Edited by ibcnusoon

It seems you already know what to expect.

Yes, its exhausting, yes you have that option not to debark, but why? And yes, you will miss your sea days.

But you get to see some new places. Its a trade off. You'll be punished for any late nights getting up early to venture out.

And yet, we have done it three times to date. We just save those sea days and relaxation for the next cruise.

Do it. You'll probably be glad you did.

When we did this itinerary, it worked out so nice for us because we had done a land based vacation on St. Thomas and St. Lucia years prior to the cruise. We chose those days to be sea days. We did get off the ship and walked around in port for a little while just to do something. You can choose to do every port and reserve a few post cruise days to recover or pick a few sea days for yourself and do the same itinerary again and visit those ports you missed. If your schedule allows, do a B2B. All the islands on this itinerary are not to be missed. I find the Southern islands are much nicer than the Western islands. Just my opinion.

I was exhausted (but in a good way this trip)

Saturday - Wedding

Sunday (Arrive at hotel at 230 am, after wedding, getting packed etc)

Sunday 5:15 AM Flight

Arrive San Juan around 3pm.

I can sleep in at home, why waste your vacation with sleep?

If airfare to San Juan wasn't so expensive I would rebook this cruise again in a heartbeat.

I was exhausted (but in a good way this trip)

Saturday - Wedding

Sunday (Arrive at hotel at 230 am, after wedding, getting packed etc)

Sunday 5:15 AM Flight

Arrive San Juan around 3pm.

I can sleep in at home, why waste your vacation with sleep?

If airfare to San Juan wasn't so expensive I would rebook this cruise again in a heartbeat.

Celebrity has competitive rates and also days a Southern Caribbean out of San Juan to other islands in lieu of Barbados, St. Lucia, and St. Maarten. The are St. Croix, Grenada. and Dominca - as well as St. Thomas and St. Kitts. Would be nice to get to see 3 additional islands!

Yes this itinerary is port intensive.... it has a sea day now, it did not always. They used to also go to Dominica but now they do a sea day in between St Thomas and Barbados. IMHO visit San Juan a couple of days early if you can, so that you can explore. Then stay a couple of days after to get your relaxation in. :D

Have sailed out of San Juan three times, once on RC and twice on Carnival. Yes, it is fast paced and exhausting. However, we had a great time and loved every minute of it!

I can't say that there is a port on the itinerary that I would have given up in favor of a sea day. Last time we were able to stay a few extra days in PR after the cruise, so we had time to really relax before heading home.

Have a great cruise whatever you decide. :)

We stayed on the ship in St. Martin which was the last stop. We had been there before and needed one last sea day. It is a port intensive itinerary but we loved it (especially Barbados and St. Lucia).

This question is why we decided against this trip and decided to go with the Elation. We just booked on 2-13 for a 3-31 trip. It is our 15 yr anniversary... and our first thought was wow! let's to this awesome trip. Then just thinking about trying to plan the excursions got me nervous and anxious about the whole thing. No doubt this is probably the best itinerary CCL has. But it justed looked exhausting. Having 3 kids at home, and this is our first real getaway since our 10 yr anniversary, (aside from 1 overnight--- and I mean no date nights or anything!) we wanted to RELAX and enjoy each others company:rolleyes: more than explore new locations. We picked a already done Cozumel/Progresso itinerary, so we could kick off our shoes and enjoy. Enjoy whatever you choose. And so you know I really want to do this trip... just not when I want to chill with my bff:cool:

We did a B2B a few weeks ago from San Juan on the Jewel of the Seas & loved the itinerary.

We took a tour on almost every port stop..Martinique was the only island we didn't book a tour. Ours tours were in the morning usually about 3 or 4 hrs..we had 1 tour that was 6 hrs. in St. Lucia it wasn't exhausting.

Our last day was our sea day. I would love to do this itinerary again!:)

Betty