E-ticket online check-in query

[;41939407]Hi happy v

I read the eticket from first to last page but discounted the bit about online check-in as, knowing that day before baggage drop was excluded for the Caribbean, it did not apply.:eek: Whoops. Guess I got it wrong so in two weeks time I will print off the required paperwork.

Thomson really are a bit vague about some of the changes they are making. Normally before checking in we are greeted by someone with labels with our cabin numbers which have to be put on the luggage before it goes to the plane. Don't know if someone will now be waiting at baggage drop off.:confused: Only time will tell.:)

Hello just returned from a week on the Dream followed by a week in Barbados hotel. We printed our boarding passes for outward and return journey. when you get to the airport (Gatwick) not sure about any other, you skip the line for checking in and get taken by a member of the cruise staff to a desk where you have your bags weighed and sealed, they still checked our passports and tickets which we thought was a bit odd, but it was really quick. they also put our cabin numbers on the bags and we did not see them again until our cabin.

On return we again skipped a very long queue in Barbados as we already had the return boarding passes. some people who had paid for certain seats could not print the boarding pass from the hotel computer and were told by the rep that if they did not have printout she could not guarantee there seats and they should try to get to airport sharpish. Happy cruising.;)

Yes I know that Eleanor :)

We actually like aisle seats as you don't have to climb over a sleeping stranger to go to the loo ;)

I just think that after taking away meals, newspapers, entertainment, hot towels and sweets for take off and landing (have I missed anything?) it's a bit rich of Thomson to charge us for choosing a seat! I understand Virgin let you choose them for free :rolleyes:

Fair comment, Linda :)

Wait until they hear Jet 2 are charging for online check in and airport check in :eek:

Hello just returned from a week on the Dream followed by a week in Barbados hotel. We printed our boarding passes for outward and return journey. when you get to the airport (Gatwick) not sure about any other, you skip the line for checking in and get taken by a member of the cruise staff to a desk where you have your bags weighed and sealed, they still checked our passports and tickets which we thought was a bit odd, but it was really quick. they also put our cabin numbers on the bags and we did not see them again until our cabin.

On return we again skipped a very long queue in Barbados as we already had the return boarding passes. some people who had paid for certain seats could not print the boarding pass from the hotel computer and were told by the rep that if they did not have printout she could not guarantee there seats and they should try to get to airport sharpish. Happy cruising.

Hi ilovecharliebrown

Many thanks for your reply. The procedure you describe is what we have had in the past apart when there was no self-check-in.

I just hope the same procedure applies in Manchester and that there are no problems with the return passes as we are going for 27 nights. Thomson computers don't seem to be geared up for anything out of the norm.:eek:

All will be revealed in just over three weeks time.:D:D

Fair comment, Linda :)

Wait until they hear Jet 2 are charging for online check in and airport check in :eek:

Really? :eek:

We don't get Jet2 holidays down here, but we did have a Jet2 flight to the Braemar, which we thought was OK. Seats not terribly comfortable, but at least they didn't recline so didn't have it pushed in your face just as you are drinking a cup of tea. Now that is claustrophobic:eek::D

Really? :eek:

We don't get Jet2 holidays down here, but we did have a Jet2 flight to the Braemar, which we thought was OK. Seats not terribly comfortable, but at least they didn't recline so didn't have it pushed in your face just as you are drinking a cup of tea. Now that is claustrophobic:eek::D

This will be our first time flying with them as they only go from Glasgow and we prefer Edinburgh flights as it is only 10-15 minutes for us but a whole 30-40 minutes to Glasgow :eek:

If their seats are fixed that will suit me :)

Despite charging for check in, they were still considerably cheaper than Easyjet from Edinburgh.

On line check in with Thomas Cook and Easyjet is a breeze and I've no reason to expect Jet 2 will be problematic.

It is a mystery why Thomson manage to make such a mess of this. If it was introduced half way through someone's holiday, they could have contacted people and asked them to check in for the return journey or found some workable solution. There were problems with the Birmingham return flight from the TA when a large number of people were allocated the same seat numbers. I believe it happened again last week. This level of incompetence is shameful.

Edited by Little Nell

[;41939407]Hi happy v

I read the eticket from first to last page but discounted the bit about online check-in as, knowing that day before baggage drop was excluded for the Caribbean, it did not apply. Whoops. Guess I got it wrong so in two weeks time I will print off the required paperwork.

Thomson really are a bit vague about some of the changes they are making. Normally before checking in we are greeted by someone with labels with our cabin numbers which have to be put on the luggage before it goes to the plane. Don't know if someone will now be waiting at baggage drop off.:confused: Only time will tell.:)

On return we again skipped a very long queue in Barbados as we already had the return boarding passes. some people who had paid for certain seats could not print the boarding pass from the hotel computer and were told by the rep that if they did not have printout she could not guarantee there seats and they should try to get to airport sharpish. Happy cruising.;)

Looks like I'll have to print the tickets aswell then.

I hope that as everyone will have outbound and return boarding cards now things will be a bit smoother,:)........but I am known for my optimism.;)

Sorry I don't know why it has printed 'a quote' with a 'quote' but I can't get rid of it :( or cancel.

Edited by happy v

This will be our first time flying with them as they only go from Glasgow and we prefer Edinburgh flights as it is only 10-15 minutes for us but a whole 30-40 minutes to Glasgow.

It is a mystery why Thomson manage to make such a mess of this. If it was introduced half way through someone's holiday, they could have contacted people and asked them to check in for the return journey or found some workable solution. There were problems with the Birmingham return flight from the TA when a large number of people were allocated the same seat numbers. I believe it happened again last week. This level of incompetence is shameful.

Hi Little Nell

Daughter flew with Jet 2 from Glasgow last year and thought they were ok.

Edinburgh is closer for us but prefer the flight timings from Glasgow so normally go there and stay at H I Express.

The logistics of getting to and from Manchester and now online check-in, which seems to be having some problems, is really putting me in a happy holiday mood - not:eek: I keep trying to be positive as almost everything is in place, think there's only the papers to cancel and the bank to be informed we are leaving the country.:)

Hi Little Nell

Edinburgh is closer for us but prefer the flight timings from Glasgow so normally go there and stay at H I Express.

The logistics of getting to and from Manchester and now online check-in, which seems to be having some problems, is really putting me in a happy holiday mood - not:eek: I keep trying to be positive as almost everything is in place, think there's only the papers to cancel and the bank to be informed we are leaving the country.:)

Oh, I always forget the papers.:o

Three weeks worth will be a nightmare when we return.:eek:

Hi Little Nell

Morning Skioncruises, I was thinking about you and Happyv this morning when reading last nights and this mornings posts. Everything should be all sorted and ship shape before you go :)

I was thinking this morning how excited we would be now with just 3 weeks to go. I bet these weeks fly in. I so wish I was going with you.

Once you are onboard all these worries will melt away and they are really quite minor things in the grand scheme of things. All the major things will be fine :)

On another note, I think the lack of low cost airlines flying out of Glasgow and Edinburgh is leading to ridiculously high prices. It is practically impossible to get a flight to Tenerife under £300 per person when we go in late September and that is booking early. We used to be able to fly with Spanish airlines and others and now we are stuck with Jet2, Thomas Cook, Easyjet and Thomson and they all charge expensive prices.

There is one consolation...we no longer need to go school holidays :D

Wonder how much those flights cost????

Hi Little Nell

When I am on here or doing something to do with the holiday I keep thinking you should have been coming with us (but you did manage to do it the opposite way). I would love to do some of the ports that are different in the November crossing but I couldn't do the flight home. Longhaul flights and my body are not compatible as I have found out on several occasions in the past.:eek:

I don't think holiday companies want to accommodate tourists from North of the Border as they have been cutting flights for years and I remember Aberdeen had a serious cut several years ago. It's ok to live down South as in some locations there is a choice of airports. I talk from experience as I used to live there. Take our particular cruise - Gatwick, Birmingham or Manchester, or Newcastle as an afterthought for 21 nights, and no Scotland.:eek:

Hey ho - we'll soon be off and woe betide anyone who tries to upset my holiday.:D:D

If you book through a travel agent, will they do all this for you then? After all they (may) charge you more than the internet price (£10pp) If not, what use are travel agents?

Bit confused about all this talk about online check-in and boarding passes Linda. Just called our TA after reading the posts and was told not to worry as they will do all that for me as they always have done (F.O.C.). Is it if you have not booked through a TA the online check-in applies? Another thing I'm wondering about is the baggage drop off point -surely your baggage still has to be checked in at the desk and weighed?

We flew Jet2 last October and the leg room was awful.

Flew with them again last month and it was much better, the non-reclining seats are a great idea too.

I feel for you guys up in Scotland, you really do get the raw end of the deal for flights, less choice and usually more expensive.

Eleanor, there are very few really cheap flights now, we used to get to Tenerife for £100 each on BA (free meals and they were forcing the drink on you :) ) not that long ago. Not any more :(

Hi Little Nell

When I am on here or doing something to do with the holiday I keep thinking you should have been coming with us (but you did manage to do it the opposite way). I would love to do some of the ports that are different in the November crossing but I couldn't do the flight home. Longhaul flights and my body are not compatible as I have found out on several occasions in the past.:eek:

I don't think holiday companies want to accommodate tourists from North of the Border as they have been cutting flights for years and I remember Aberdeen had a serious cut several years ago. It's ok to live down South as in some locations there is a choice of airports. I talk from experience as I used to live there. Take our particular cruise - Gatwick, Birmingham or Manchester, or Newcastle as an afterthought for 21 nights, and no Scotland.:eek:

Hey ho - we'll soon be off and woe betide anyone who tries to upset my holiday.:D:D

Yes, I did it the other way, Skioncruises, in November, to take the place of the one you are doing, due to my sister being very unwell. Happily she has hasn't deteriorated like we expected, but when we cancelled in November it wasn't looking that way. So your cruise was our first choice of itinerary and I wouldn't rule out doing a similar one to you in the future.

The itinerary we did was fantastic, so we don't feel in the slightest that we missed out and it was very much what we needed at the time. There are so many ports in yours that we haven't done, so I hope Thomson will do it again in the future. There is nothing to beat these long sailings.

I agree about the cutbacks in airlines. I believe some of that has to do with local airport charges, certainly as far as Edinburgh is concerned. I know a lot of routes were cancelled as airlines trimmed back and you can't now fly direct from Scotland to Florence, for example. I found this out through looking for flights recently. I think that that both airports were owned by the same company and they were forced through monopolies legislation to sell one of them off. I am a bit vague about the details of this but it doesn't seem to have made much difference to the consumer.

We flew Jet2 last October and the leg room was awful.

Flew with them again last month and it was much better, the non-reclining seats are a great idea too.

I feel for you guys up in Scotland, you really do get the raw end of the deal for flights, less choice and usually more expensive.

Eleanor, there are very few really cheap flights now, we used to get to Tenerife for £100 each on BA (free meals and they were forcing the drink on you :) ) not that long ago. Not any more :(

I think you are right, Joe, with the cost of fuel and government taxes they have gone up for everyone.

Bit confused about all this talk about online check-in and boarding passes Linda. Just called our TA after reading the posts and was told not to worry as they will do all that for me as they always have done (F.O.C.). Is it if you have not booked through a TA the online check-in applies? Another thing I'm wondering about is the baggage drop off point -surely your baggage still has to be checked in at the desk and weighed?

No John,I,ve booked through a TA but can check-in online if I want but will prob get TA to do it?In my experience never noticed any difference in bag drop off point to normal check in.As you say bags still need to be checked in and weighed and they still check your print off

No John,I,ve booked through a TA but can check-in online if I want but will prob get TA to do it?In my experience never noticed any difference in bag drop off point to normal check in.As you say bags still need to be checked in and weighed and they still check your print off

Thanks Jim. Just wondering what the advantage is when the TA does it all for you. Never had any problems in the past so will let them do it again this time.