Meet & Greet

brian_uk

There is no single way

I prefer to have everyone's cabin numbers. I meet with the concierge as soon as I get on board, look for an opening in horizons, and have the concierge send out invitations to each cabin. I usually pick the first sea day on a long cruise, assuming it falls early. On a port intensive cruise I go for day 2

Some people just pick a date and time and place. That can be dangerous because it could conflict with another on board event. On a recent cruise the organizer decided we would all have lunch together in the GDR. I did not attend.

I prefer to do something around 5:30. Folks will gravitate to the people they feel they want to spend time with. No forced meals. Lol

In your roll call collect names & cabin numbers (I do not post these online)

Then when you get on the ship ask the concierge if they can arrange a time place with the F & B manager so no conflicts arise with other planned events

The concierge will usually send out invites for you unless it is the first night

We have also just arranged to meet the 1st night in Horizons after Muster Drill

we warn the concierge if there will be a large crowd

Lyn

Depends on the size. In the early days (c.2006) with groups of 10 to 20, anywhere at any time would do. Right now, I'm working on what may be one of the largest groups ever, and there will be no way to pull it off without the cooperation of the staff, as Laraine detailed.

As far as the organizing part, someone on your roll call has to volunteer to keep the list. If you are going to enlist the help of the ship staff, they will need the full names and cabin numbers of the particpants. Many of the guests will have fears about that information being published on a public forum, so the volunteer must disclose an email address to which the information will be sent.

That complete list is kept private by the organizer until it is turned over to the ship staff. I also find it convenient to save the sender's email address, and think it's more fun to have their home city and state or country.

Periodically, it also falls on the volunteer to extract first names and home cities from the master list and publish that redacted list on the roll call. Often someone will volunteer to work with that more simple list and prepare name tags, other times someone may bring blank name tags and Sharpie pens.

I've done it several times but after this upcoming cruise, I plan to "retire". I've had difficulty with the time to keep up the list.

Don,

If you want any help on the May M&G I'd be happy to help out. I can always make up name tags if nothing else.

Mura

Thanks, Mura, I may take you up on that. The problem is the new form with which I experimented. On the one hand, it eliminates the need for me to keep my own database. On the other, it's time consuming to convert the database data to a public list. I don't seem to have as much time this year -- too many projects here at the homestead :rolleyes:.