Do prices decrease just before sailing?

I may have an opportunity to book a cabin on the Epic cruise to the Western Caribbean, but I will not know until 24 hours before the cruise leaves. Do the prices typically move from two weeks out to the day before sailing? I would think that NCL would rather sail full, then have a few cabins left, and last I checked there were quite a few balcony cabins left, and the sailing is on March 16. Just curious really, as we will have to pay what the asking price is should we want to go.

I did do this one time before on Carnival, but they had only one cabin left on the whole ship, so it was not a real big supply vs. demand issue then.

I was tracking Carnival Glory sailing out of Miami on Feb 23. It was still available less than 48 hours prior, on Feb 21, but not a major price drop. Still $569 pp, inside cabin, for a 7 day cruise. We wound up doing something else, Shreveport by car for Mardi Gras parades.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

I may have an opportunity to book a cabin on the Epic cruise to the Western Caribbean, but I will not know until 24 hours before the cruise leaves. Do the prices typically move from two weeks out to the day before sailing? I would think that NCL would rather sail full, then have a few cabins left, and last I checked there were quite a few balcony cabins left, and the sailing is on March 16. Just curious really, as we will have to pay what the asking price is should we want to go.

I did do this one time before on Carnival, but they had only one cabin left on the whole ship, so it was not a real big supply vs. demand issue then.

It don't look good for this cruise.

I try a mock booking, everything is sold out except inside and haven .

Don't let apparent availability fool you. We are sailing on Saturday on the Gem. Daughter called me Friday morning (T-8 days) saying she wanted to join us. I was able to book her an Oceanview cabin a couple hours later, and it seemed like there were at least a few dozen cabins available.. When I checked over the weekend into this week for perhaps a better cabin, I found that everything that showed as available was actually sold out (selling as guarantee mostly, but some with cabin numbers that actually were sold because they were unassigned guarantees). As of Monday, there were two inside cabins left (and they ended up at a higher price than the Oceanview we purchased on Friday) - the others that "might" have been available were assigned and taken out of inventory. So, in actuality, even though it looked like there was a good bit of availability, we were lucky to get her in at all.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Hi! As you can see from my name, I do work here (Cruise Critic). Your question related to pricing, so I thought the Price Drop tool we built may be useful for you. I hope it's ok I threw in my .02 :D.

Best of luck and I hope you're able to get onboard!

Price-Drop

http://www.cruisecritic.com/price-drop

Hi! As you can see from my name, I do work here (Cruise Critic). Your question related to pricing, so I thought the Price Drop tool we built may be useful for you. I hope it's ok I threw in my .02 :D.

Best of luck and I hope you're able to get onboard!

Price-Drop

http://www.cruisecritic.com/price-drop

Hey Matt did you know that youc an type in 2¢ instead of .02? Just type in the number two then hold down the ALT key and press 155 on your numeric keypad. :D

YES. ......................YES the price drops after final payment mainly on Breakaway and Getaway. You just have to jump in and book when the plaice drops and before all the cabin fill up a the lower price

It is a gamble, but thee is always a possibility of a price drop. More likely the ship will be sold out before the last day. You are talking the height of spring break for the college crowd. Good luck, but don't count on any great savings.

We booked a week out last year during spring break & got a heck of a deal on the Pearl out of Miami! I think it depends on the availability and some people may cancel at the last minute. The only stressful thing was I couldn't plan anything & I am a planner!

We've found the best price drops to be 3 - 4 weeks before sailing, esp. if you are willing to do a GTY. They are trying hard at that point to fill empty cabins. Then, as the ship fills, the prices often go back up.

I find the prices drop right after final payment until three to four weeks before sailing. At the latter point, the guarantees are going to be assigned and that will take a lot of cabins out of inventory.