.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Hum will go on Europa 2 !

Hamburg to Southampton over 3 days.....2017 maybe.

Are the ship's engines diesel by any chance ?

Great news - let me know early enough - perhaps Herr and Frau gcmv will join the cruise or at least meet hum and blondie in Hamburg for dinner and a cosy get-together.

Be very careful wearing pink colour in Hamburg - this might cause missunderstanding while walking through St. Pauli suburb. ;)

The Azipod-engines are not German - they were built by ABB (Swedish/Suisse company) where Frau gcmv is on the payroll - i.e. only water vapor comes out of the funnel (if ho-hum needs a photo to proof, let me know - gcmv can show plenty of them) ... :D

Well, we started with a very nice champagne as an aperitif and to accompany our first courses. Then ordered a really excellent bottle of red from a local winery.

Needless to say, we waddled off to bed after dinner :-) Went to sleep with visions of the grand chateaus we would visit the next day dancing in our heads. Well, after the room ceased spinning....

@Ragnar: I thought you went on SD with ho-hum several times?

After one glass of champagne and one bottle of red wine you waddle???:eek:

How do you manage to survive a SD-cruise with hum?:confused:

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Never heard that quote before Commodore.....damn good one tho' aint it.

WC loved Pol Roger....excellent choice for an exceptional man.

God bless him.

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still

be ugly"

Probably said after consuming copious amounts of bad champagne. :)

Twas to Lady Astor, Commander......a ruddy good line.

Though some say WC pinched it from another WC.....Fields.

Great news - let me know early enough - perhaps Herr and Frau gcmv will join the cruise or at least meet hum and blondie in Hamburg for dinner and a cosy get-together.

Be very careful wearing pink colour in Hamburg - this might cause missunderstanding while walking through St. Pauli suburb. ;)

The Azipod-engines are not German - they were built by ABB (Swedish/Suisse company) where Frau gcmv is on the payroll - i.e. only water vapor comes out of the funnel (if ho-hum needs a photo to proof, let me know - gcmv can show plenty of them) ... :D

No more ruddy funnels !

No pink scarf either !

You are right, Hum has twice been propositioned !

And not by the age he wished for nor the sex either !

But at least Hum was being fancied......a rare thing these days.

Hum counts his blessings.

But Hum aint just a piece of meat......though does "bone head" count.

Yes let's do E2 or lunch in Hamburg......is'nt it a bit of a distance for you though dear friend ?

@Ragnar: I thought you went on SD with ho-hum several times?

After one glass of champagne and one bottle of red wine you waddle???:eek:

How do you manage to survive a SD-cruise with hum?:confused:

Raggy has the good sense to miss HH and save his liver.

Did I say "glass"?

And sadly, never sailed with h-h. We keep passing, like ships in the night :(

!

Hum waits for the cellar to be finished....then he will take you up on your generous (and very foolish) invitation for a visit and then we will have a few bottles.

The question is though....would this before the tequila and beer with Jim or after ?

A word of caution on E2, they advertise as family friendly. And they limit the number of children allowed aboard to "only" ten percent of the passenger load :eek:

Also, they have a liberal smoking policy.

And you have to sign chits for wine/drinks.

Sounds a bit like Costa.:eek::D

Is this true GCMV ? E2 is full of German children smoking !

Well at least they would be better behaved than others Hum would care to name.

Signing for drinks !

At Hum's rate of consumption. He would develop "carpal tunnel syndrome" !

And that's his drinking hand !!

Won't do ! Won't do at all !

Did I say "glass"?

And sadly, never sailed with h-h. We keep passing, like ships in the night :(

PS - the Musee has given me a hankering to visit the Bovington Tank Museum!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDUQFjACahUKEwjp88ielqzIAhUOOogKHfTtBBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgadling.com%2F2010%2F01%2F12%2Ffive-great-tank-museums%2F&usg=AFQjCNEA8AuteQA67qRmTYt5kPlc1svlpA

Bovington is at the top of this list:eek::D

Is this true GCMV ? E2 is full of German children smoking !

Well at least they would be better behaved than others Hum would care to name.

Signing for drinks !

At Hum's rate of consumption. He would develop "carpal tunnel syndrome" !

And that's his drinking hand !!

Won't do ! Won't do at all !

Calm down, my dear chap - children onboard E2 don't smoke - they drink!:D

Ho-hum has not to sign the bills - the only thing ho-hum needs is his suite access card for ordering. Ask for the platinum version (it is un-meltable).;)

Ho-hum mentioned, that it is a far way from Heidelberg to Hamburg - but with a slight chance of meeting blondie (and her "appendage") for gcmv is no way too long. Lunch, dinner, bar, nightlife - Hamburg is the perfect city! :)

The question is though....would this before the tequila and beer with Jim or after ?

We shall all just have to meet at Ragnar's San Clemente Estate. I will bring some very special Arizona Tequila. And Lois......[/quote

If we do meet up, promise you two wont be talking about ruddy TANKS !!!

Calm down, my dear chap - children onboard E2 don't smoke - they drink!:D

Ho-hum has not to sign the bills - the only thing ho-hum needs is his suite access card for ordering. Ask for the platinum version (it is un-meltable).;)

Ho-hum mentioned, that it is a far way from Heidelberg to Hamburg - but with a slight chance of meeting blondie (and her "appendage") for gcmv is no way too long. Lunch, dinner, bar, nightlife - Hamburg is the perfect city! :)

Such a marvellous guy !

Would love to meet up with you both but Hum might be 20 minutes late !

Hahaha

Edited by ho-hum

Such a marvellous guy !

Would love to meet up with you both but Hum might be 20 minutes late !

Hahaha

Uuups - only Hum ??? :eek:

But what about blondie? Gcmv gotten to know blondie as a very open-minded woman - but this means she is VERY open-minded about ho-hum ... :D

Ok - we're in Hamburg (near harbour) so she will turn a blind eye. ;)

Herr and Frau gcmv are Looking forward to meeting you BOTH punctual and simultaneously, because the more time gcmv has to tell his latest jokes ... :)

Uuups - only Hum ??? :eek:

But what about blondie? Gcmv gotten to know blondie as a very open-minded woman - but this means she is VERY open-minded about ho-hum ... :D

Ok - we're in Hamburg (near harbour) so she will turn a blind eye. ;)

Herr and Frau gcmv are Looking forward to meeting you BOTH punctual and simultaneously, because the more time gcmv has to tell his latest jokes ... :)

OK old friend.

Impressive, most impressive.

Well except maybe (a photo) of the tank museum. .

In the name of all that is holy........NOOOOOO !

As we are preparing to leave Cancale, we spy Mont Saint Michel beckoning ethereally from the far horizon, like a vision of Camelot suspended in the grey blending of sky and water of the Mont's namesake bay.

He doth speak so poetically, what sayeth you MACT, old chum ?

So, to begin our quest for Camelot, we attempt to conjure up the location of Mont Saint Michel (MSM) on our trusty steed's navicomputer ............

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH ........

The drive from Cancale to MSM is quite beautiful, passing through many quaint farms and villages. Please note, I will dispense from here on with describing a drive as beautiful because, as far as we could see, with the exception of the outskirts of Tours and Lyon, the entire damn country of France is eyewateringly beautiful, from the great vistas down to the door hinges of the humblest home. Its not fair to the rest of the world. They should be taxed on it..

They (the Frogs) receive huge ruddy grants from Great Britain via the EU !

Ho Hum personally paid for what you are seeing plus those silly roundabouts !

What say you MACT ?

We arrive at the parking complex for MSM (and that is an intentional double entendres). After a bit of circulating around we find the lot reserved for folks staying at hotels located within the walls of MSM. And upon entering, take our ticket for the payant lot. We grab our luggage and head off in search of the shuttle to the Mont, the whole time keeping an eye out for the payment machine or signs for said machine. One nice thing about the parking lots is that they are seperated by rather tall hedges, which prevent you from any glimpse of the Mont, reserving the "oooooh" moment for when you get much closer to the Mont. We find the shuttle not far from our lot (but no sign of the payment machine...). Note, non-mechanically inclined folks can skip to the next paragraph. The shuttle vehicle is a specialized machine that is made to be able to be driven from either end. (Refraining from comments about french tanks...) This is so it never has to make a U-turn in the limited space at the Mont end of the causeway. It also saves time and space at the parking lot end. When the shuttle pulls into its space near the lots, everyone exits on one side and the waiting shuttlees get in on the other. The driver walks to the other end and jumps into the cab at that end and flips a switch to lower the mirrors at the former front end and raise them at the new front end. The former front wheels lock into a straight position and the former rear wheels become the front and take on the steering duties. Very efficient. Hopefully the nav system wasn't built in Germany.....

Oh God, there's not much more of this is there ?

Off we go to MSM! Old Ragnar skillfully maneuvered Mrs D into the very front seat, on the opposite side of the shuttle from the driver's small cab, giving her the only unobstructed seat for photography on the shuttle. She was unlikely aware of the careful planning and toe-stepping this required to hold the unwashed crowd at bay for her to get the prime spot... This is the way of her life, everything seems to unfold magically before her, not aware of the wizened old man behind the curtain frantically pulling all the levers. But I wouldn't have it any other way :-).

Oh God there is !

The shuttle first passes through the tourist village that has sprung up to service MSM. Not a bad looking little place, and there appeared to be some nice hotels there. The shuttles makes one or two stops along the village, so staying here is an alternative to staying on the Mont, if you want larger, more modern accommodations than are available on the Mont. But I recommend that if you are only staying one night, that you stay on the Mont. And do as we did, pack what you need for the stay in your lightest suitcase and leave the rest in the car (assuming the luggage will be out of sight)..

Have pity on Hum dear Lord ! Take Hum now, Hum beseeches you.

OK he is now at the hotel and enjoying Mont St.Michel.....lovely descriptions Raggy, really getting the feel...thanks for sharing.

You and ruddy parking machines......Hum can see Mrs.D "rolling her eyes"

But all in all ...a ruddy fine job

Edited by ho-hum

Please.......The visual of Ho-Hum "cavorting" is just too much.......:eek:

Oh Hum sees, he's talking about Hum !!!

Suppose Hum deserved it.......sorry Raggy, dearest chum.......everyone loved your posting.

We are truly so grateful dearest friend.

But there is one more to peruse........and Hum is feeling naughty.....very naughty.