.......idle jottings

ho-hum

They will never get anything out of me today.....Cousin Jack was a bit rough on me last night. It is official.......FOOTBALL SUX!!!!! Bama lost.....What do we do the rest of the year?? The only consolation is that we did win Powerball last night so I am considering renting DTs jet and finding Sundance. He will know what to do.......

Thank you folks for your kind words. Ho Hum, I have a Flying Scotsman train set here, still in the box. I will dispatch it to you immediately so it will be there for your return. Just checking I've the correct address;

Sir H Hum

The Olde Homestead

Posh Part

United Kingdom

Believe it or not Hum moved on from railway sets a little while ago but retains a childish disposition to most things in life.

But if there is an un-boxed Flying Scotsman train set on offer, do forward it on.......Hum would sell it for a small fortune and invest it in his "adult" hobby: wine (drinking it) !

The address is near perfect but:

- Hum is referred to as Lord by the serfs (a simpler appellation of "Ho" is used by all his chums which Ho would naturally count yourself as one)

- and finally it is "The Olde Homestead MANOR" as distinct to the various cottages, pubs, Post Office, Indian restaurant, garage, forge etc..... (all of which Hum is landlord to)

- and we are extolled by Royal Mail to always use a post code (zip code to our American cousins) which is: PP OO1.

But addressing it "Silly Old Fart, Posh Part") works most of the time but occasionally post get's mixed up for "Silly Old Prat" and "Silly Old Fool"...... but we simply swop them over with one another at the weekly wine tasting evening "do" at the local wine merchants...

Great one tonight from the Commander, who is not normally known for his wit......."so you have changed from Ho Hum to "Hum Drum"".

Excellent Commander !

Best laugh of the whole week's trip around Maine........even surpassing argument with lady at roadworks shoving her "Stop" sign at you !

Thanks for your selecting an amazing restaurant: "Mistral"" in Boston and the week's accommodation too with your equally fabulous campadre.

Hum Drum hahaha !

Believe it or not Hum moved on from railway sets a little while ago but retains a childish disposition to most things in life.

But if there is an un-boxed Flying Scotsman train set on offer, do forward it on.......Hum would sell it for a small fortune and invest it in his "adult" hobby: wine (drinking it) !

The address is near perfect but:

- Hum is referred to as Lord by the serfs (a simpler appellation of "Ho" is used by all his chums which Ho would naturally count yourself as one)

- and finally it is "The Olde Homestead MANOR" as distinct to the various cottages, pubs, Post Office, Indian restaurant, garage, forge etc..... (all of which Hum is landlord to)

- and we are extolled by Royal Mail to always use a post code (zip code to our American cousins) which is: PP OO1.

But addressing it "Silly Old Fart, Posh Part") works most of the time but occasionally post get's mixed up for "Silly Old Prat" and "Silly Old Fool"...... but we simply swop them over with one another at the weekly wine tasting evening "do" at the local wine merchants...

........oh no!!! The postcode I addressed it to was B10N D1E. Hope it arrives eventually;)

The occasional "talk" with our SD chums with whom we had been travelling on a "Thelma & Louise" road trip (well more a "Driving Miss Daisy" road trip, if the truth be told) around the delightful coastal towns of Maine (USA) between great "Lobster Pound" stops has of course been the resurgence of "Kids" on the SD forum (albeit a spluttering one with little gusto)........no, not the subject but the phenomena behind it's periodical revival ……….likened to a "winter's cold".

Caused by what seems to be an outbreak of hubris (yes you will have to look it up: Hum seeks to educate as well as inform) not linked to current actual events and is viewed akin to discussing apparent mysterious objects in the sky and then developing various responses and thoughts concerning an alien invasion.

Hum will leave it at that.

The subject of recent relaxations of travelling to Cuba on the occasion of the Pope's visit to Cuba and the USA has also been briefly discussed.

Surprising that the well informed one's amongst us haven't dropped a few lines ......... no Hum is not well informed and is in fact not at all bothered but for our American chums, the "forbidden fruit" of Cuba's shores are now in reach for forever changing as an extension of Miami.

The consensus from our group was that SD will need at least a year to organise it and were not too sure whether it would be that popular......bearing in mind Europeans and Canadians .....well in actual fact the rest of the world APART from Americans have been allowed to travel there for "donkey's years".

What say you ?

Assuming no response is apathy and so we are proved correct, it is not of much interest........which will it be Hum wonders.

Once again your sage observations about Cuba are on point.

Perhaps if SD were looking to attract a different segment of the American market a couple of cruises from Florida ports that included two or three ports in Cuba and then some of the smaller islands of the Bahamas or the Caymans and Belize.

Departing from Florida is very easy for most Americans who can either drive to the port or catch a reasonably priced flight.

Just my usual $.02:p

Once again your sage observations about Cuba are on point.

Perhaps if SD were looking to attract a different segment of the American market a couple of cruises from Florida ports that included two or three ports in Cuba and then some of the smaller islands of the Bahamas or the Caymans and Belize.

Departing from Florida is very easy for most Americans who can either drive to the port or catch a reasonably priced flight.

Disney Jen's $.02 is worth a Dollar at least.:D Cuba would probably be a curiosity one off unless they prove to be something completely different from the rest of the Caribbean, Mexico, etc. H-H is right, the rest of the world has been going there for years. The Swiss especially have been big on resort development. Canadians would probably not bother with a Cuba cruise as they have also been able to go there for years. Why fly to FLL from Toronto to cruise to Cuba when you have already been there? And expect the first "Cuba Cruises" from every line to be premium priced. As usual, we bow before Ho-Hum's perspicacity. :eek::D

........oh no!!! The postcode I addressed it to was B10N D1E. Hope it arrives eventually;)

That's the post code for our London pied-a-terre.......bench near public toilets, Hyde Park.....perfect !

You should double your prices Jen ........ not to HH though !

Disney Jen's $.02 is worth a Dollar at least.:D As usual, we bow before Ho-Hum's perspicacity. :eek::D

When Ho Hum is not deciphering Jim's "Jack Daniels" and tequila infused posts (which he thoroughly approves of, by the way) he is then bamboozled by his vast, erudite grasp of the English language ....couple that with the benign vibe of a mixture of humility and open-hearted friendliness........then don't you just love those posts from our Jim: it makes HH's day.......that's for sure.

As usual, we bow before Ho-Hum's perspicacity. :eek::D

What a splendid word for midweek.

No doubt that Mr Hum can maintain such qualities well after saloon opening time...look how he holds court at TOYB. The sage of SeaDream, from sun up to sun down and many hours thereafter.

That's the post code for our London pied-a-terre.......bench near public toilets, Hyde Park.....perfect !

You should double your prices Jen ........ not to HH though !

You always get the special rate HH:D

We're back. Jet-lagged and hung over. More to follow, when eyes no longed need to be propped open with toothpicks....

Welcome back ... Looking forward to your report!

Seeing as by my biological clock it is 1 AM, I can only muster up a short intro to our trip, more to follow. Please object if this is too verbose...

Ragnar's France Road Trip (St. Malo to Lyon, and many points between)

Day 1 - Limo to LAX (note, limo short-form for a car and driver, not necessarily a stretch limo). Traffic not bad so arrive in plenty of time for a light snack at the British Airways lounge. Sadly, we pass on the wines, beers, and mixed drinks available, to avoid headaches while trying to sleep.

Boarding process was efficient and the large herd was prodded onto the giant A-380 in short order. We settled into our center cubie business-class seats, and again declined the offered pre-takeoff champagne. Oh the humanity :-( A note on the BA business class lay-flat seats: They are great, unless you are over 6 feet tall. When in bed mode, they allow only 6' to stretch out in. Starts to feel like a straight jacket after a while. Jim, exactly how does a straightjacket feel? However, if you go to FlyerTalk, there are discussions on where there are a few seats with more room. Generally at the corners if the biz-class cabins. If you are over 6' and plan to sleep many hours, seek these out.

After a nice dinner, with just two glasses of wine, and a movie, we put the seats in bed mode and caught a few fitful winks. The effective altitude and dry air make it difficult to get a good nights sleep, at least for ol' Ragnar. Did notice one plump young lady hit the sack shortly after take off and not get up until shortly before landing. Ahh, to be young again and sleep 10 hours straight :-)

Eventually the smell of coffee brewing caused us to assume an upright position and prepare for breakfast. What, no bacon rolls offered before the main breakfast!?! A letter to BA management is forthcoming.

Landing was on-time and debarkation at LHR T5 was uneventful. We moved briskly to immigration control and spy the fast track sign that supposedly lets the upper classes bypass the unwashed coach masses and breeze through the queues. Wrong. The "fast track" line had its own immigration desk with only one sleepy guardian processing the building line of irate privileged few. We watched as people entered and exited the main line before we were even halfway through the fast track line...

Now 30 minutes late for our pick up by Parkers (thanks ho-hum, both for the suggestion and the note/gifts), we rushed through the airport to meet our driver (thankful for our decision to just bring carry-ons, a note on that later). The unflappable Parkers driver was there with his sign and helped us to the immaculate Mercedes S-550. He then surprised us with ho-hum's gift and we were off to the ferry in Portsmouth. He knew our timetable and so did not spare the horses in getting there. Driver was an interesting fellow that knew ho-hum and Blondie! Imagine the stories he regaled us with!! Don't worry ho-hum, we are sworn to secrecy.

Our steadfast driver got us to the ferry terminal 10 minutes before they opened the gate for boarding - perfect. Dear Moderator, please note the following cruise-related content! We made our way to our Commodore cabin on the Bretagne, there are about a dozen or so of these, and found it was surprisingly spacious for a car ferry. On the order of the size of a SD cabin. It had two windows! The bathroom was very compact, but efficient. There was a chair and a couch, in addition to two good-sized single beds. There was a basket of fresh fruit as well as a carton of macaroons on the table. The refrigerator was stocked with water and soft drinks, free of charge.

The cabin attendant soon knocked and asked if we needed anything. He also took a dinner reservation and asked what we would like for our hot drinks in the included continental breakfast to be served in the cabin the next morning.

We then grabbed cameras and headed topside to watch the sailaway from Portsmouth. But it had gotten a little dark for good photos so we returned to the cabin and cleaned up before going to dinner. We had dinner in the full service restaurant. As we had reservations we bypassed the line and they seated us at a very nice table at a window, though it was too dark to see anything but passing lights.

The waiter took a look at the fine french wine ho-hum had bestowed upon us and said it was a good one and that he would serve it with no corkage fee! Photo of said bottle was attached in my earlier post. We chose the "buffet" option, where you order your main course then get your salads, cheeses, deserts, etc. from a large buffet area with a wide selection of tasty things. We chose mains that complemented the wine and had a surprisingly good dinner, considering we were on a ferry.

After dinner we wandered the outside decks to feel the salt air and try to walk off some of the great dinner :-) Then to bed, where we slept very well and arose to a nice breakfast in the cabin.

Day 2 - I got us re-packed while Mrs D went topside to photograph our arrival into Saint Malo, France. The passage into St. Malo is quite striking and got us looking forward to the adventure ahead.

The ferry experience was a good one and I can recommend Brittany Ferries to anyone wishing to go to France from England. Beats the heck out of flying to Paris and fighting the traffic if your goal is anywhere near the coast.

They did not rush us out of our cabin, as this run does not have quick turns. We eventually made our way off the ship to the terminal, where I think they took a quick glance at our passports, but certainly no line. Inside the terminal we found the Sixt rental car desk unattended, but with a phone to call a nearby office. In about 10 minutes a nice young lady showed up with the wrong car. We had reserved an automatic, gasoline BMW 4 or 5 series "or equivalent". As an example of other cars in the class they showed a Mercedes sedan. We specifically wanted a sedan for secure luggage storage. Well, the young lady showed up in a BMW 2-series diesel hatch-back or station wagon thingie. Never seen one before in the US. I immediately told her it was the wrong car, so she called a manager, who called another manager, who professed his sincerest apologies, but that it was the only automatic they had within hundreds of kilometers.

Well at least the cargo area cover was actually still in the car. Many times I've been stuck with a hatchback that is missing the roller cover. Sometimes you have to accept that a battle is lost so we accepted the car and asked that the attendant hang around until I figured out the nav system, parking brake, etc. She says ok, but as soon as I sit in the car she jumps in a nearby car and drives off. Well, after a short period of poking and prodding things I got the nav system to display english (mostly) and got the tiny diesel engine fired up. And after another 10 minutes we had found all the hidden, manual seat controls and got comfy. Then another 5 minutes to find the brake, hood, and hatch releases (and not get them mixed up). Then another few minutes to figure out there is no gas cover release, it unlocks when the car is unlocked, and locks with all the other doors when you press the key button...

Long story short, we got the BMW thingie running and our first destination, Cancale, programmed into the nav. Then we headed off for our adventure in France, traffic circles and all.

image.jpg.8e753beb7df8cadf56761082bb924d01.jpg

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

We're back. Jet-lagged and hung over. More to follow, when eyes no longed need to be propped open with toothpicks....

The conquering hero returns !

The "Frogs" are behaving themselves.......let's see for how long.

Great job Sundance.

But you are now urgently needed in Germany.

What a ruddy shambles it is over there, who would have thought, what with:

- criminal fraudulence by VW

- complicity of government

- will result in un-employment of honest, hard working people and critically damage "Made in Germany" brand which could lead to economic mis-firing for quite some time

- letting Greeks stay in EU at ridiculous cost

- refusing to accept that the Greeks will ever change

- dithering about immigration: one day they want them, next day they don't

- bullying other countries to bail them out

Mein Gott !

Angela time's up for you my darling.

GCMV it's your time......

Yes we want to hear ........E V E R Y T H I N G....

Holy Mother of God !

You have just pisted more than Hum could pissibly imagine.

It's 1.30am and Hum is wide awake.......like you old chap: victim of jet lag !

Have 3 different contractors arriving at 8.00am, so if Hum starts reading it now, he will be definitely awake all night.

To the last two posters...

Stop worrying. There hasn't been any reported issue with kids onboard for a very long time.

This is just an issue that a few people like to dredge up over and over, even when there is nothing new to say. People who have ACTUALLY sailed have no complaints, only those that haven't been onboard in a long time seem to have the issues.

Over 250 nights on board and only two well behaved children one week 10 years ago.. I try and avoid school holidays., but the odds are on still your side...

Dear Abenaki, please find attached kit.

image_zpscuh9j0ue.gif

Hope you find it useful.

Germany

What a ruddy shambles it is over there, who would have thought, what with:

- criminal fraudulence by VW

- complicity of government

- will result in un-employment of honest, hard working people and critically damage "Made in Germany" brand which could lead to economic mis-firing for quite some time

- letting Greeks stay in EU at ridiculous cost

- refusing to accept that the Greeks will ever change

- dithering about immigration: one day they want them, next day they don't

- bullying other countries to bail them out

Mein Gott !

Angela time's up for you my darling.

GCMV it's your time......

Dearest ho-hum,

you cry for me - gcmv is always available, whenever you need his assistance (usually at TOYB).:D

VW is absolutely innocent - the problem caused because of an English supplier with a Greek CEO - VW trusted them bona fide. :(

Angela is doing a great job (gcmv is in her personal brain trust); hard-working, warm-hearted German residents will support everything that our first "lady"(?) decides to do.

Time will tell ... :)

By the way, one smuttly joke for you, old chap:

Do you know what to say, when blondie asks you next time to whisper some vile words in her ear?

"VW GOLF DIESEL 2.0" :D

Dear Abenaki, please find attached kit.

image_zpscuh9j0ue.gif

Hope you find it useful.

My Gosh Ho-Hum, it really works! I shall use much less Valium in the future with this miracle device.:eek: Have you noticed a trend, Mr. Hum, with the &*%$ issue? The Deniers tend to rant on just as much as the Pushers. Can't we all just be friends??

Great start to your trip story Sundance. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I hope you kept our end up over there.:eek: Straight Jackets are quite the rage now, but must be Double Breasted. A bit warm still here though. I feel your pain in Biz Bins. Delta has (at least on the aircraft we flew) the highly touted flat bed pods. Just as with you, fine till you actually try to lay flat. Short, narrow, and deep, sort of like a coffin. I ended up sleeping semi reclined anyway. I guess we need to shorten things up on each of us.:eek::D Butch & Sundance: Oversized but lovable.:D

The conquering hero returns !

The "Frogs" are behaving themselves.......let's see for how long.

Great job Sundance.

<snip>

Holy Mother of God !

You have just pisted more than Hum could pissibly imagine.

It's 1.30am and Hum is wide awake.......like you old chap: victim of jet lag !

Have 3 different contractors arriving at 8.00am, so if Hum starts reading it now, he will be definitely awake all night.

Ha-ha, when I wrote Part 1 on the word processor it didn't seem overly long, but seeing it posted on CC it does seem a bit wordy.... And since ho-hum is busy adding another 10,000 sqft to his abode, I will just summarize the remainder of our trip:

Cancale

Mont Saint Michel

D-Day sites

Honfleur and Rouen

Saumur Tank Museum

Chateaus of Loire Vally

The Dordogne region

St. Emillion harvest festival and wine tasting

The old saying that Paris is not France is certainly true. These areas are stunninly beautiful, and make for a great vacation.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Ha-ha, when I wrote Part 1 on the word processor it didn't seem overly long, but seeing it posted on CC it does seem a bit wordy.... And since ho-hum is busy adding another 10,000 sqft to his abode, I will just summarize the remainder of our trip:

Cancale

Mont Saint Michel

D-Day sites

Honfleur and Rouen

Saumur Tank Museum

Chateaus of Loire Vally

The Dordogne region

St. Emillion harvest festival and wine tasting

The old saying that Paris is not France is certainly true. These areas are stunninly beautiful, and make for a great vacation.

Oh no you don't !

Get back here.

Come on Raggy we want to hear it ALLLLL !

OK you can spare us the "Tank Museum" but your devotees await ....... Truly.

Forget about how long it looks, there is genuine interest old chap.

You certainly "packed in" a lot.......Hum has never made it to Petrus.

Hey, some of us would like to know about Ragnar at the Tank Museum. The BBC missed covering it.

OK, OK !!!!!

Maybe Hum can assist.

"WENT INTO A LARGE, COLD WAREHOUSE AND SAW SOME METAL TANKS (NOT MOVING).

THE GERMAN TANKS WERE CORDONED OFF BECAUSE THEY FAILED EMISSION STANDARDS.

THE AMERICAN TANKS WERE NOT THERE BECAUSE THEY WERE RECALLED AND WERE BEING REFITTED WITH NEW AIR BAGS.

THE BRITISH TANKS WERE NOT WORKING AND WERE WAITING FOR PARTS.

THE FRENCH TANKS WERE WORKING BUT IN REVERSE ONLY.

THE ITALIAN TANKS WERE ALSO WORKING AND ALSO ONLY WORKED IN REVERSE BUT A LOT QUICKER THAN THE FRENCH TANKS.

THE JAPANESE TANKS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO BE USED UNDER THE TERMS OF THE TREATY"

THE END

Happy now old chap.

Haha

Edited by ho-hum

Jimbo, since you are an old seadog, tell us how many crew are required just for operation and maintenance of a ship this size? And how does that scale up to SD, the WS triplets, and the much larger SB Odyssey class? Would be nice to know how to translate the total number of crew into the operations number and the customer-focused number.

Mmm....mmmm...mmmm...Jim, tell 'im nuttin'