.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Thanks for the travel tips, ho-hum! And for all the previous ones. We have implemented many of them. It will be apparent in my trip report :)

Have a great trip up to the frozen north ;)

Have fun Sundance. Where will your trip report be posted?

Thanks for the travel tips, ho-hum! And for all the previous ones. We have implemented many of them. It will be apparent in my trip report :)

Have a great trip up to the frozen north ;)

And Hum also wishes you have a great trip in chaotic France.

Take a corkscrew old friend.

Have fun Sundance. Where will your trip report be posted?

So you don't want to hear of Hum's trip to New York, Montreal, Quebec, road trip to Maine arriving finally in Boston and meeting up with 7, yes 7, SD chums along the way !

Ah ha!!!...at last we have sight and sound of the house band at the Ye Old Tacky Inn just down the road from the posh pile! "Come hear them entertain and join in the frivolities with buxom wenches and ale filled squires on the third Thursday of each month".

The vocalist, Ian Anderson, it is alleged, attended Roseburn primary school located in the capital of Brigadoon. Drive past it on a regular basis, it's still being used as a school (or whatever passes for education nowadays).

"Verily I say unto you

we must make pilgrimage to the land of Celts

to the abode where young Iayn Anderthon learnethed the art of merriment

and playing of the olde English musical instruments.

We will rest at every ale house

and many other houses besides along the way

from the posh parts of the Kingdom to Celt land.

We shall meet up with MACT

who shall put on a great feast

with much ale, a roast pig each and wenches

And we shall cavort and sing together and make merry.

What sayeth you raggy and jimbo

and anonymous senior officer of SD ?"

"Verily I say unto you

we must make pilgrimage to the land of Celts

to the abode where young Iayn Anderthon learnethed the art of merriment

and playing of the olde English musical instruments.

We will rest at every ale house

and many other houses besides along the way

from the posh parts of the Kingdom to Celt land.

We shall meet up with MACT

who shall put on a great feast

with much ale, a roast pig each and wenches

And we shall cavort and sing together and make merry.

What sayeth you raggy and jimbo

and anonymous senior officer of SD ?"

It's market day here, copious ales to replenish thirst, fat succulent pigs ready for the spit.

Wenches, well, they may have less teeth than desired, less buxom than hoped but pray tell, after ten flagons of ale drunk and half a pig feasted on, is one particularly concerned?

So you don't want to hear of Hum's trip to New York, Montreal, Quebec, road trip to Maine arriving finally in Boston and meeting up with 7, yes 7, SD chums along the way !

That is quite the nice road trip Mr. Hum. Boston is one of our fave cities. Ahh, sipping Chowdah in the Union Oyster House before strolling the North End for magnificent Italian meals. Certainly one way to go. Now if they just had copious amounts of ale and wenches. But then there is the Samuel Adams Brewery. Was in NYC a few months back and found it to be slipping a bit but you will straighten them out I am sure. Are you working up your courage for a Western swing to Butch & Sundance Territory? And yes, looking forward to your Jottings on your land trip as well. Bon Voyage Pardner.

My goodness ... I am guessing you will be in New York City which is just a mere hour train ride away from our humble abode. The temperatures are supposed to be unseasonably warm so be prepared!

I know you and Blondie will have a wonderful trip!

My goodness ... I am guessing you will be in New York City which is just a mere hour train ride away from our humble abode. The temperatures are supposed to be unseasonably warm so be prepared!

I know you and Blondie will have a wonderful trip!

hi DJ. We took the train to Niagara from NYC last fall. I think we went right by Casa DJ. Isn't it the large estate with the SeaDream flag flying over the pool?:D

As to improvements to at least SD2 other than the lounge, I'm pleased to report what we learned when on SD2 a few weeks ago. She is scheduled, as some of you may know, for a full two week dry dock next month (October). Believe it will take place in Lisbon. When we were on board, several staff from the dry dock marine company were on board, among other things, well, going board by board on the deck with notebooks in hand. They were checking out the jacuzzi and could be seen here and there discreetly checking everything out. We were led to believe it is a nearly 24-hour per day operation to get everything done on the long list of projects on time. This includes both soft items like carpeting and hard things like mechanical aspects of the engine room. It all seemed rather extensive to us and must be running into seven figures in terms of cost. We too have been concerned from time to time but this degree of investment including attention to detail is most reassuring to us and hopefully to you as well. We found even Silversea too large last year at 450. If someone else is offering the true small SD size and high level of casual yet top notch service I'm not sure who that would be.

The "talk" is about Crystal's new small ship.

An extensively re-furbished vessel.

Commodoredave posted about it recently on "Crystal to compete with Sea Dream.....": currently 5/6 threads down.

Hum's glad of your sympathetic attitude towards SD.

SD is quite un-like any other and should be considered so to get the best out of it.

HH referred to SD as a "World Heritage Site".

Yes it was pushing the "envelope" but you get it's unique place alongside a handful of other bespoke small ships.

Of course the business world is a reality everyone has to eventually succumb to but you have to respect SD's Owner for investing again and again and again.

He is one of life's enigmatic characters which HH has slowly but surely has grown to respect.

Giving HH a free fortnights voyage helped of course !

Hum's usual price is a pint of beer and a packet of pork scratchings !

We will be doing the transatlantic crossing out of Lisbon so it will be really interesting to see the refurbishment works........Co Co will be onboard too: great company.

So you may have two viewpoints.

"Soft eyes".......... "Soft attitude".......... and yes HH can hear some saying "and soft in the head, Hum".

There will always be life's boo-hoo'ers, won't there ?

It's market day here, copious ales to replenish thirst, fat succulent pigs ready for the spit.

Wenches, well, they may have less teeth than desired, less buxom than hoped but pray tell, after ten flagons of ale drunk and half a pig feasted on, is one particularly concerned?

Well that's all signed up.....but wait, copious amounts of ale....mmmm Charlie can't miss this.....come along Charlie, we need someone to keep order.

That is quite the nice road trip Mr. Hum. Boston is one of our fave cities. Ahh, sipping Chowdah in the Union Oyster House before strolling the North End for magnificent Italian meals. Certainly one way to go. Now if they just had copious amounts of ale and wenches. But then there is the Samuel Adams Brewery. Was in NYC a few months back and found it to be slipping a bit but you will straighten them out I am sure. Are you working up your courage for a Western swing to Butch & Sundance Territory? And yes, looking forward to your Jottings on your land trip as well. Bon Voyage Pardner.

New York.

After brilliant meals, tea, champagne and wines with BA.

Oh the joys of Passport control.

97F earlier today !

The Carlyle hotel with views to Hum's favourite: The Chrysler Building.

George Clooney staying.

Doing the Late Show with Stephen Colbert ....very similar to HH but not Hum's looks.

Blondie hangs around lobby just in case.

Today: MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) this morning, then Smith & Wollensky for a steak and a glass of something on top of a hotel for sunsets.....Blondie did say but forgot.

Hope it's cooler today.

Correction: seeing 6 SD chums.

Edited by ho-hum

The Carlyle, Jackie Kennedy in her suite on one floor and Jack in another

a few floors below with his mistress du jour. Picturing dear Blondie

hovering around the lobby for a glimpse and "selfie" with George Clooney.

And, Smith & Wollensky ... what is a vegetarian like the misses going

to find there while Hum is devouring his 12 ounce porterhouse? Guess

this is in retribution for her nixing Moishes in Montreal. Anyway, you

can always go crosstown to Per Se, the restaurant of the moment, where

Blondie will certainly find fare more suitable to her palate.

The last time we were in the Carlyle, Elaine Stritch came down from her

aerie to belt out a few songs from "Company", probably to pay the rent.

Too bad, as she was then well in her eighties and the performance didn't

measure up.

Hot here today, but temps should moderate prior to your arrival. Enjoy!

New York.

After brilliant meals, tea, champagne and wines with BA.

Oh the joys of Passport control.

97F earlier today !

The Carlyle hotel with views to Hum's favourite: The Chrysler Building.

George Clooney staying.

Doing the Late Show with Stephen Colbert ....very similar to HH but not Hum's looks.

Blondie hangs around lobby just in case.

Today: MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) this morning, then Smith & Wollensky for a steak and a glass of something on top of a hotel for sunsets.....Blondie did say but forgot.

Hope it's cooler today.

A very busy two days!!

Weather is forecasted to be more seasonable tomorrow.

then Smith & Wollensky for a steak and a glass of something on top of a hotel for sunsets.....Blondie did say but forgot.

Hope it's cooler today.

Whew, for a minute there I had a vision of Ho Hum with Smith & Wesson.:eek: They do have salmon and salads way down on the menu so Blondie will be ok in spite of Ho's cow-fest. Sounds fun in NYC.

then Smith & Wollensky for a steak and a glass of something on top of a hotel for sunsets.....Blondie did say but forgot.

Hope it's cooler today.

Whew, for a minute there I had a vision of Ho Hum with Smith & Wesson.:eek: They do have salmon and salads way down on the menu so Blondie will be ok in spite of Ho's cow-fest. Sounds fun in NYC.

Yikes!! I didn't even think about the Smith & Wesson:eek:

Farewell my lovelies! Limo to LAX arrives soon.

Hopefully BA A-380s are not as flammable as their 777s... :eek:

Sure glad all the folks are ok. I did note from the news footage that a lot of passengers paused, amid a massive fuel-fed fire, to get down their *multiple* carry-ons, blocking other passengers from making quick escapes. Are truncheons allowed to be brought on board? :rolleyes:

Isn't the 12 ounce porterhouse only available on the S&W kiddie menu?

See kids came be brought into almost any discussion! LOL.

A good steak at S&W must be at least what 48 ounces or more? Or is that $?

I had the same thought. Heck, out West, a 12oz steak is a garnish.

Sure glad all the folks are ok. I did note from the news footage that a lot of passengers paused, amid a massive fuel-fed fire, to get down their *multiple* carry-ons, blocking other passengers from making quick escapes. Are truncheons allowed to be brought on board? :rolleyes:

Best wishes for a safe trip. Looking forward to your reports.

Best wishes for a safe trip. Looking forward to your reports.

Happy trails Ragnar!

The Carlyle, Jackie Kennedy in her suite on one floor and Jack in another

a few floors below with his mistress du jour. Picturing dear Blondie

hovering around the lobby for a glimpse and "selfie" with George Clooney.

And, Smith & Wollensky ... what is a vegetarian like the misses going

to find there while Hum is devouring his 12 ounce porterhouse? Guess

this is in retribution for her nixing Moishes in Montreal. Anyway, you

can always go crosstown to Per Se, the restaurant of the moment, where

Blondie will certainly find fare more suitable to her palate.

The last time we were in the Carlyle, Elaine Stritch came down from her

aerie to belt out a few songs from "Company", probably to pay the rent.

Too bad, as she was then well in her eighties and the performance didn't

measure up.

Hot here today, but temps should moderate prior to your arrival. Enjoy!

Well thanks old chap for the recommendation and welcome.

But there will be no swanky dining in NY.

A classic NY steak and a classic NY pizza is the order of the day (on separate days).

Hum is mainly an obedient vegetarian at home but not away......and that seems generally well accepted by her ladyship: so long as she can get a salad (dressing on the side) then she is happy as "Larry".

Our only problem is the wine. HH red. Blondie white. Two bottles.

We had breakfast in a Diner (Three Guys).....service is so slick.

New Yorkers all on their mobiles but at least they are quiet, well dressed and circumspect.

Walk thro' Central Park to MOMA. Lovely walk with a fantastic variety of trees, all in great condition.

Never seen Andy Warhol's "Marilyns" originals before......brilliant. And fantastically arranged.

Just two small, early Rothkos.

A fabulous large " Jack the Dripper"

Wonderful Jasper Johns "American Flag"

A Hopper.

And that was it !

Everybody was viewing the Impressionists.

Van Gogh the star. Cezanne, Gaugin, Derain. Not a fan of Picasso: too distant and aggressive.

And a few rough Henry Moores outside alongside some other stuff which when "arranged" appears as scrap metal yard.

We'll try the Frick or Guggenheim or Metropolitan tomorrow.

Lunch in a brasserie (Reubens).

Ordered a dozen oysters and an Au Bon Climat, Santa Barbera, Chardonnay.

"We only sell that by the bottle"

Yes that's fine. Looking round, no one's drinking !

The bottle arrives with the oysters....they are tiny.

Your oysters suffer from anorexia, Hum tells the Eastern European waitress.

"Yes, it's because the currents are not strong this time of year"

Well they would'nt be growing up in a goldfish bowl.

The sourdough bread is wonderful.

But the service is amazing.

Walk back thro' Park.

Hot and sticky so a shower.

And then to a restaurant recommended by concierge for great steaks (Arlington Club)

No fine cuts for Hum. A medium rare skirt steak suffices accompanied by a Californian Cab.

Sublime but could not finish.

Sorry Jim and JES. Hum ain't a big eater.....drinking is his forte.

Again the service is super good.

Another famous regular at The Carlyle is Woody Allen who plays his clarinet here.....and no that's not a euphemism.

We heard an almighty row outside our door last night. The lady was appealing for her man to calm but he was really fired up.

Guys, we can be real pracks sometimes.

She was being the voice of reason and very kind.

Blondie can be a tad testing at times though.

She announces she wants to buy a "make up brush". She needs a brush now to paint it all on. Hum advises we should try a hardware store.

But Hum does not want to go round a "girl store" so he suggests he will wait in the Irish bar across the road.

An hour later she returns. She has run into a shoe shop to find "Choo" shoes in a sale !

Adding that all the girls in the store said they looked fantastic......yes the girls SELLING them !

A bit like Hum's wine merchants.......

One thing HH can't understand about America is phones in bathrooms.

Are Americans so constipated that they sit for ages, straining and groaning to shoot out a tiny pebble that rattles round the bowl like a pinball before being engulfed in a huge splash into the water below.

Does corporate America have conference calls of executives all on the bog ?

"Well I have called you at short notice to discuss this take over proposal"

Tinkle-tinkle

"Is it raining where you are Jacobs ?"

No sir, I'm just pouring a glass of water.

"Then just pour it in one go Jacobs"

Then loud fart..

"What did you say Jenkins ?"

Nothing sir

Another long fart....

"Are their roadworks outside your office Smith"

Yes he says (lying)

The only thing people hear are bathroom noises....long fart, tinkle, pebble shot out, tinkle...

It makes you think !

Is'nt it un-hygienic ? Well of course it is...what is Hum thinking. It's not normal.....Americans are the only people on the planet talking and c....... at the same time.

Maybe that's how the expression "You are talking......." comes from.

A beautiful skyline tonight.

Oh Chrysler you are the fairest of them all.....