.......idle jottings

ho-hum

HoHum -- as one of the chums going with Whatnot, I thank you for your suggestions as well -- can certainly comply with the seafood and wine requirements! Did someone mention WW2 German bunkers on Jersey?? Uh, oh -- guess what DH will want to see :eek:

We will be going to UK early -- spending a week near Oakham and doing quite a bit of driving to Chatsworth, Leeds and York, as well as visiting cousins near Cambridge. Three days in London doing "royal" stuff and then on to Dover. Still working on best way to get from London to Dover! I have always wanted to sail from the White Cliffs (There'll be bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover -- love that song!) so am very excited about that -- as well as being back on our beloved SD with good friends and crew!

Vandrefalk

HoHum -- as one of the chums going with Whatnot, I thank you for your suggestions as well -- can certainly comply with the seafood and wine requirements! Did someone mention WW2 German bunkers on Jersey?? Uh, oh -- guess what DH will want to see :eek:

We will be going to UK early -- spending a week near Oakham and doing quite a bit of driving to Chatsworth, Leeds and York, as well as visiting cousins near Cambridge. Three days in London doing "royal" stuff and then on to Dover. Still working on best way to get from London to Dover! I have always wanted to sail from the White Cliffs (There'll be bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover -- love that song!) so am very excited about that -- as well as being back on our beloved SD with good friends and crew!

Vandrefalk

Hi Karen. Great trip coming up! We have done the London/Dover route for the ferries and basically there are 3 ways to do it. Train. Involves cabs at both ends as does renting from Hertz, etc. The train ride used to be pleasant. Not sure lately. Rental car returns are near the docks areas so that worked well for us. Also gives the option of a nice side trip or two to pubs on the way. Finally (and I have not done this) car service. Door to Door. Smith's is one company that might be worth a look. Ho-Hum surely has up to date info.:D:D

Vandrefalk

How wonderful !

Admire you Yanks......you certainly pack in an itinerary, just make certain you hire a car with SatNav for the trip to Oakham. Guess you will be picking up a hire car from Heathrow (just over 2 hours away: up M1-A1).

Then you return to London followed by trip to Dover.

Now if the "gang" are also grouping in London and heading down to Dover: then a small coach could be considered too on top of Jim's other suggestions.

And yes Jim's pub crawl is a great idea but "calls of nature" along the hedgerows of the English countryside may be less inviting !

Dont forget this part of the UK has a growing fine sparkling wine trade: so you could swop pubs for sparkling wine establishments.

Personally ho hum would first consider the train but dragging luggage around ain't fun.

Ho hum has attached several links about London - Dover rail travel which he hopes is useful.

There are plenty of London stations to choose from.

Ho hum prefers St.Pancras as it has the world's longest champagne bar: perfect way to start the trip

Your concierge can arrange travel but if not, maybe you can purchase on internet.

What a veritable esteemed bunch of travelling companions.

Tell DH that the bunkers in Jersey are closed for refurbishment !

You just might get away with it !

And do post about this amazing trip.....pleezzze.

And if there is anything ho hum can do to assist, please let him know (anytime).

London-Dover train travel links below:

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/dover_bus_train_stations.htm

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm?ID=62

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/pockettimetable/search

http://www.doverport.co.uk/?page=HowToGetHere

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types.aspx

Thanks, Jim and HoHum! I will certainly check out those links. The others are coming from Canterbury and already have their transportation set. We're staying not far from St Pancras and I've heard about the champagne bar, so that might be a winner!

We've driven all over England and Scotland and used to have a great UK atlas -- but we had GPS in France and it was really quite convenient, so may spring for it this time as well!

About the bunkers -- I could try your suggestion, but he's bound to find out -- may just have to let him go on his own and I'll go shopping with the rest of the group!

I am usually the designated reporter on the cruise, but I bet I can convince Whatnot to share reporting duties, so y'all should get a well- rounded story!

Vandrefalk

Edited by vandrefalk

Saturday ! New voyage (only SDI). Yippeeee !

SDI is in the Baltic:

- starting off in Stockholm, Sweden

- Helsinki, Finland

- St. Petersburg, Russia (2 nights)

- Tallinn, Estonia

- Mariehamn, Aaland Islands, Finland

- returning to Stockholm, Sweden

Check out activities too on link below:

http://www.seadream.com/voyages/11425

Between 17-20 deg C, partly cloudy and unfortunately looking quite rainy for a large part of trip.

More of a historic city type of voyage. Activities sound good.

SDII is in the Mediterranean and completing the voyage begun last Saturday with following ports left to go:

- Taormina (Etna) Sicily

- Stromboli, Sicily - Positano, Italy

- Capri, Italy, Ponza, Italy

- Rome, Italy

Check out activities too on link below

http://www.seadream.com/voyages/21421

Between 22-31deg C, sun, sun, sun !

Molto Bene !

And if you happen to be on one of those voyages, then let us know how it is.....pleeezz.

SD back doing what they do best and everybody happy about it !

Win, win.

Bit of trivia: Hits 50 years ago.

UK: Roy Orbison - It's Over (love that song !)

US: Peter & Gordon - A World Without Love (schmaltz)

Australia: Cilla Black - You're My World (talkin' bout hh again)

Canada: Monty Python - Lumberjack Song (brilliant)

Norway: Captain W - Hurtigurten Song (you can smell the herrings !)

Ho Hum, Versace launched its latest summer line collection a few days ago in Milan. Once I saw their swimwear creations I could only think of your good self as you seemed keen for recommendations for new swimwear attire suggestions for your upcoming cruise. My original suggestions I guess were too skimpy!! This new collection by Versace should fit well with your latest cruise sailing the 'Italian Riviera'. Hope the attachment works:)

image.jpg.a0362787a4775ea3afd86888995f99a8.jpg

Ho Hum, Versace launched its latest summer line collection a few days ago in Milan. Once I saw their swimwear creations I could only think of your good self as you seemed keen for recommendations for new swimwear attire suggestions for your upcoming cruise. My original suggestions I guess were too skimpy!! This new collection by Versace should fit well with your latest cruise sailing the 'Italian Riviera'. Hope the attachment works:)

How clever of you !

And the costumes are displayed by ho hum's exact body doubles too !

(Yeah right says Blondie. The only "double" going on here is your size Ho hum compared to these hunks ! Haha)

Charming !

Ho hum cant help it if he is "big boned" !

Alas ho hum must forego looking "swish" as ho hum's father used to say when he was going thro' his "last hurrah" before the advance of slow creeping decrepitude.

After a visit to Denmark of all places, he became swayed by the relaxed casual look of it's citizens and saw his chance to break the shackles of conservative English conformity much to the consternation of his son !

In actual fact ho hum recently found photos of pater on the beach one holiday avec fils as a boy: he was wearing a suit !

With waistcoat, tie and black shoes and hair slicked back and a thick moustache (RAF style) !

Yes, on a frigging beach ! And so was everyone else !

Some even had hats !

Well here is his male heir doing the same thing with the crushing effect of self-consciousness that seems to effect most British men when they say to their other half proffering wardrobe improvements:

"I couldnt wear that ! I am neither homosexual nor American !"

The only type of men that seemed capable of wearing crushing, conservative clothing.

Apologies if you are shocked.

Ho hum is merely illustrating the narrow minded views that prevailed in conformist, conservative 1950's England amongst repressed English men (they are certainly not ho hum's views as his dearest friends can hopefully attest).

It is simply given as an attempt to proffer evidence that other cultures seemed less socially inhibited and awkward in general appearance and camaraderie than us English back then. The Dark Ages.

America seemed the Promised Land with the advent of rock 'n roll and comfortableness with consumerism whilst over here all the artists, actors and entertainers we English worshipped were, you guess what ? Yes, rightly so.

So it's back with the "move along, nothing to see here" beach trunks in the least offensive cut and shape and colour (black) possible that does not draw attention to the ever increasing white corporeal bulge perched just above the waistline resembling an ample vanilla ice cream scoop melting over the cone beneath.

His one chance for flamboyance has been dashed by a chorus of disapproval emanating from rural Canada to Arizona (must have large Amish communities there) and ho hum returns to English mediocracy "not wishing to cause a fuss" blandness.

Oh well, ho hum.

No Jim, it would be "Start me up" by the Rolling Stones !

Sending a link of Mick performing at Glastonbury last year (at 69 years old !)

Glastonbury music festival is currently going on now.

How does ho hum know ? Because it's raining in early June: it always rains at Glastonbury and Wimbledon then (less so in Wimbledon to be fair, so far) !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAHLhPAuG4U&sns=em

Ahaaaa !

May ho hum join in on the news of the New Year 2014-15 voyages thread ?

Yes New Year back on (2016) .......... but having chartered both boats for the forthcoming NY and with the shoreside management/owner's history of surprise charters would you really be willing to gamble that they just would'nt do the same again ...... the buggers !

Unless a cast-iron guarantee is offered that these voyages will NOT be chartered then ho hum would be concerned that the same thing would simply happen again.

However ho hum would consider booking if he received a personal guarantee with a grovelling apology from "Attila" saying what a complete prat he had been and begging ho hum to return, offering a 15% discount, free wifi and dry cleaning.

Then, just then, he might consider booking.

What are the chances of the reclusive, un-communicative owner doing that ?

Yes. Zilch.

And may ho hum also point one further interesting fact: Asia has been dropped !

The former voyage programme concluded with SDI positioned in Athens in mid-October, 2014 for the intention to do Asia again but this has now been dropped and it returns back across the Mediterranean before the transatlantic re-positioning to the Caribbean for the winter season there.

So it looks like sanity has finally dawned (and certain financial collapse has been averted !).

"Attila", ho hum awaits your letter.

Attached is a behind the scenes photo of "Attila" actually wielding the axe on a voyage in favour of a charter.

Contains scenes of violence, un-suitable for children and the feeble minded or with those lacking a sense of humour: viewer discretion advised.

So would you really, really, really book SD for Xmas & NY in light of their previous scandalous treatment worrying that your trip could be cancelled, expensive air flights not reimbursed and having to make alternate arrangements at this busy season.

My God you could end up spending the time with your family !!!!!!

Aaarrrggghhh !

What kind of beast could do this to another human being !!!!!

But what are your thoughts ? No, not about spending time with your family !

The booking dilemma.

PS

Atle is a derivation name of Attila: an Old Norse form of the Gothic name Attila

Meaning: violent, wild

A name for heroes and kings in heroic poetry.

In the Þulur, Atli is also listed, however, as a name for Þórr (God of Thunder).

image.jpg.8b9d2524a878ea5e55de297b767fd7c8.jpg

Good news Ho-Hum! We are joining you on board. Bringing our extended family and 25 kiddies. You will love them. All rootin tootin young cowboys and cowgirls. Whoa, wait a minute. Sorry, just hallucinating. it is 112 F (approx. 44C) here today. Should remember to drink martinis in the shade.:eek: Hope you have a wonderful trip. I am off to put my head in the freezer for a bit.:eek::D

Good news Ho-Hum! We are joining you on board. Bringing our extended family and 25 kiddies. You will love them. All rootin tootin young cowboys and cowgirls. Whoa, wait a minute. Sorry, just hallucinating. it is 112 F (approx. 44C) here today. Should remember to drink martinis in the shade.:eek: Hope you have a wonderful trip. I am off to put my head in the freezer for a bit.:eek::D

Jim ! You old rascal ! Ho hum was initially delighted then more and more worried !

Ho hum loves desert heat but it seems it has been high for weeks out there and looks to continue that way.

Ho hum knows of no one else who lives in such heat except your good self.

Seriously just how do you manage ?

Keeping hydrated must surely be vital ?

Jim, ho hum has left his house key under the mat. It is currently 21 degrees and will continue like that for the next 10 days at least.

Have you noticed the new thread milestone Jim ?

Course you have ! Ho hum thinks it deserves another pint !

Well ho hum and blondie are in Roma !

Staying at a charming hotel: the First Luxury Art Hotel (29 rooms). Very arty ! Very cool ! Strong Campari's on the roof terrace with views over Rome accompanied by little nibbles (they have a 1Michelin star restaurant, so they have an amazing array of diversified nibbles which un-cool like we scoffed in a mili-second: then more came !).

The hotel is a new one for us but we did have drinks on the roof terrace at our last stay when we stayed at the Hotel de Russie just around the corner.

A wonderful hotel: great outside dining and incredible concierge (Alexander).

The lead singer from Radiohead was dining on next table with a British film director (forget his name). Thom Yorke exuded urban cool (just like ho hum !). Love his music.

A few days and nights eating and drinking.

Have told blondie all the shop-keepers are on strike !

French air traffic control have just ended a strike in time !

God the French are spoilt, spoilt, spoilt !

Governments have "caved in" to ridiculous demands for decades.

No wander their economy is "up the swanny".

We have a great driver in Rome who picks us up and who can drive right into the port.

His name is Marco , he used to have a Mercedes but he now has a swanky people carrier. It is divine. He takes credit cards and he is great value. Take a note of his number. If you want a good, safe and reputable driver, he is the one. We have used him a half a dozen times. Great guy. Details at bottom.

We will be on a voyage out of Civitavecchia for a trip with two dear chums, who Yes ! we met on SD. There's a surprise !

We have met up a few times since our last encounter, so we know one another quite well.

They are great fun but worryingly "super-fit". Blondie is in great shape too and exercises everyday at some un-Godly hour.

Hope to God they dont suggest anything too energetic.

Maybe ho hum's gout will make a convenient appearance. Sssshhhhhh (not a word) !!!!

Cant wait to see the crew.

The excellent Christophe starts his contract.

A living God (like ho hum but maybe ho hum just shades him !).

Haha

What to drink in Roma ?

Why Frascati of course.

Just saying F R A S C A T I !

You are a Roman !

Yes it is synonymous with cheap quaffing wine but so what.

Perfect for simple grilled fish, salads, ciabatta or a white pizza with mozzarella, mushroom and truffle shavings ..... Mmmmm (which ho hum had last night: yummy. Sitting under a canopy supported by stone columns with a perfect breeze watching the world go by).

Drinking does not have to be serious and yet Frascati's with more gravitas are emerging (which we had: €19, great value).

The restaurant is called Gusto !. The vain, swarthy, young De Niro, out of work actors/musicians, waiters are useless and you have to be quite firm with them (so unlike SD) but the food and wine: bellissimo !

And if you want a treat: try! "Est!! Est!!! di Montefiascone": a mouthful in more ways than one.

Ho hum loves the sparkling waters too.

Yes some consider them pretentious.

Pretentious moi !

No they are soft and gentle. Delicious. Ours came in a 1 litre open bottle (€2).

Driver details:

MARCO CIANFARRA

EM: mc.limoservicecar@email.it.

Mobile/cellphone: +39 33877 69119

Jim ! You old rascal ! Ho hum was initially delighted then more and more worried !

Ho hum loves desert heat but it seems it has been high for weeks out there and looks to continue that way.

Ho hum knows of no one else who lives in such heat except your good self.

Seriously just how do you manage ?

Keeping hydrated must surely be vital ?

Jim, ho hum has left his house key under the mat. It is currently 21 degrees and will continue like that for the next 10 days at least.

Have you noticed the new thread milestone Jim ?

Course you have ! Ho hum thinks it deserves another pint !

Right you are about hydration. I fill a gallon jug first off every morning and make sure to drain it during the day. I fill this one with water, of course. Then spending time in the pool as often as needed helps too. Another pint? Well, my English relatives always swear that it is bad luck to drink only one pint.:eek::D Bon Voyage!

SDII: New Voyage Day ! (SDI still in the Baltic and hurrah weather has improved: no rain).

Jul 02, 2014 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Jul 03, 2014 Capri, Italy

Jul 03, 2014 Sorrento (Pompeii), Italy

Jul 04, 2014 Sorrento (Pompeii), Italy

Jul 05, 2014 Porto Cervo Marina, Sardinia, Italy

Jul 05, 2014 Bonifacio, Corsica, France

Jul 06, 2014 Bonifacio, Corsica, France

Jul 07, 2014 Portovenere (Cinque Terre), Italy

Jul 08, 2014 Portofino, Italy

Jul 09, 2014 Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jul 10, 2014 Monte Carlo, Monaco

Jul 10, 2014 St. Tropez, France

Jul 11, 2014 St. Tropez, France

Jul 11, 2014 Sanary-sur-Mer, France

Jul 12, 2014 Collioure (Port Vendres), France

Jul 13, 2014 Barcelona, Spain

Check out the link:

http://www.seadream.com/voyages/21422

And the weather is looking great: between 27-30 degs.C.

Not a cloud in the sky.

And ho hum is on it ! With blondie of course (his full time carer).

But just learnt that Garfield (Pastry Chef) is leaving for his hols ........ aw schucks !

Maybe the ever expanding stomach will at least slow down a tad !

Like a lava flow it just keeps rollin' destroying belts with the ever outward pressure until the buckle.......well buckles and leather reaches critical tension and the avalanche of former good meals make their escape heading out and downwards as if scoffing ho hum "you will never stop me !"

Aha .... Braces, like Burl Ives as Big Daddy ("Cat on a hot tin roof"). Always a solution.

Now ho hum has to change his whole wardrobe to look like a southern gentleman: well if that's what it takes !

At least ho hum's "super fit" friends will not be appalled when ho hum would ask Garfield for a tasting menu of ALL the deserts often inscribing the plate in chocolate with something witty and invariably very cheeky and always very, very funny !

Garfield is a God to ho hum. There are so many on SD....oh and Goddesses too ... Naturally.

Oh well happy hols "G" you wonderful, wonderful guy.

And happy hols to us two too (tu-tu ?)

Wish I was on that one too! It is a great itinerary. Wanted to do a mini version of that one in September 2015 (just to Monte Carlo) but that one has already been chartered. What a bummer! Trying to figure what I will book when we are on in September 2014.

I know you will have a fabulous cruise! Want to hear ALL about it! I also hope you have no "spinning cabins" on this cruise!

So it was spaghetti vongole for dinner last night accompanied by a single estate Frascati of superior quality and a San Pellegrino.

We always return to this old fashioned restaurant: owner the same, waiters the same.

Owner dressed in a white jacket: waiters in white shirts, black trousers and waistcoats.

No severe shaved heads and not one tat: how refreshing is that ?

Details of restaurant at end.

You wonder whether these guys and gals who have these mystical Chinese writings on their arms, legs or lower back actually know what the hell they mean.

Ho hum being an expert on all things Oriental noticed that one Chinese tat was actually Chinese for "Chicken Chow Mein" ! He's going around with the name of a Chinese dish on his arm !

You know when you're old when you start criticising young people's garbs and the music they listen to.

To see an un-adulterated young man or woman is a delight.

Going way off the subject !

Well the service was far better than last night.

Professional except they kept wandering off to check the football results being played on a tv screen at an outside restaurant full of Koreans who were intermittently offered a range of extraneous things to purchase by passing Pakistani gentlemen ranging from brightly coloured materials that would splat when thrown against an object and then slowly gather back into their original ball like shape, then cuddly toy dogs that would dance and sing Gangnam style, then the customary rose 20 seconds away from wilting and groups of passing Italian musicians with a full range of music in an un-distinguishable medley of schmaltz from around the Western world.

The Koreans were un-moved or plain confused much to the ire of the musicians who gesticulated something about even Kim Jong-Il would have given a tip !

And hoping that they drop the bomb on Seoul to teach Koreans a lesson in manners: a tad extreme but manners doth maketh the man.

We too were outside (and sufficiently further away from the melange too our far left and out of ear shot except the music): the weather was perfect but there was a gentleman's arrangement about peddlers and wandering musicians or maybe they paid protection money to the Mafiosa or Cosa Nostra, either way we were not disturbed and were left to enjoy the meal and the time together.

Last minute shopping in the morning for both of us.

Ho hum told in no uncertain terms that he cannot continue to wear those old shirts yet again.

The "well if they were good enough for ho hum's father then they are good enough for ho hum" just did not cut mustard anymore when blondie is in one of those moods !

Commander Courageous's famed attire rubbed in ho ho hum's face yet again !

Damn the man and damn his professional dresser too ! Ho hum will never be good enough.

So items purloined and a quick shower and dress for trip to port.

And so we are picked up by Marco and drive to the port.

En route blondie does her usual briefing of expected behaviour from ho hum.

"And do not under any circumstances warn the Captain about sailing too close to the rocks off Italy to impress his girlfriends ! It is in bad taste now and it was in bad taste then !

And do not be overly familiar with the young ladies.

You are old enough to be their grandfather !

And look as if you are enjoying yourself !"

Yes dear, no dear, yes dear etc....

Ho hum's abiding fear is blondie doing her usual of telling ho hum she has just met a marvellous couple from wherever (ho hum cares not where so long as it is not within a 25 mile radius from home or Norway: sooooo dulll).

And the phrase often used is "when you get to know them you will like them".

Now this sends a chilling fear through ho hum's body.

Why does ho hum have to work through the detritus of a personality to get a half decent grade person ? No ho hum is on his hols; life"s too short !

Ho hum prefers to groom his future travel companions over 2/3 voyages together before becoming better acquainted.

Call ho hum reserved: well he is English after all.

And so we will board.

Love meeting up with our chums.

Love meeting up with the crew.

Love encountering wonderful fellow passengers (Sea Dream passengers are the best).

Love finding one or two "evil" people to provide endless entertainment.

Just as ho hum will return the chance to other passengers no doubt.

All good fun. Let's talk tomorrow ? Chou.

And so after trying to find the right quay, we finally board Sea Dream.

Ho hum has been "banging on" to SD HQ that we need a map of the port showing the position of SD.

Our friends were dumped at the port by their taxi driver and had to drag their bags nearly quarter of a mile in 30 degree heat !

If you do not have special clearance you cannot enter into the port. They were furious.

Now this voyage aint cheap: give us the details of the port for a smoother transition SD.

Well we board, Captain Lund, Gareth the Activities Director & Christophe the Executive Hotel Manager greet us followed by Thai Spa Ladies with cold towels and Kriztian and a new guy with champagne. You know the drill.

Perfect.

Processing is quick and painless.

The beautiful Tanya (Spa Manageress of gruelling marathon fame on crossing) arose and greeted ho hum: those legs ! Mama mia. She wore calf coloured, strappy boots with 4" heels that accompanied her tanned, defined limbs beautifully.

Sanja (Housekeeping Manageress) looked fantastic too especially as she has had nearly a 5 month contract ! Her humour is wonderful: we always laugh.

Both bright, bright young women and Elena the purser too (yet to meet) they keep SD running.

Back out to the fray for champagne and nibbles and meet new and old friends.

After a little while we are joined by one of SDs head honchos and his beautiful wife.

She wore an off white crocheted dress which was very elegant.

Our first encounter: a very charming and beautiful elegant lady indeed of refinement.

Ho hum was quite smitten. She liked ho hum's accent. It was love .... until.....

Now ho hum doesnt know quite how it came up but we were just chatting keeping it all pleasant but then ho hum began telling head honcho how SD had "cocked up" New Year with not one but two charters !

What the hell were you thinking ?

It was all kept friendly but nevertheless it was direct. Very direct.

This was the first opportunity ho hum could face a head honcho and express his annoyance that SD had truly created a PR disaster and for what ?

There was some type of admission and concurrence that other Club Members had expressed the same view.

And just as you thought all that could be said had been said then blondie waded in with a criticism of the following NY voyages !

Blondie had noticed that on SDII, one voyage ends on December 26 !

Now think about it:

- the festivities of the 25th end say at 2.0am usually, then you have to disembark 8 hours later !

- to arrive for the 26th embarkation, you have to fly on Xmas Day (if you dont intend to stay in the Caribbean) !

- if you stay a few days earlier you will find that most decent hotels only accept a minimum 3 day stay and you are staying in a hotel for Xmas !

And so SD have "cocked it up" yet again !

Well Mr. Head Honcho was left in no uncertain terms what we felt.

Next we had to wind in our severe annoyance and restore pleasantries.

We did so and it was actually lovely spending some time with this lovely couple, "cock ups" aside.

We hugged, kissed and said our goodbyes. They had just popped in to say hello.

They might like to check if ho hum and blondie will be there next time.

But really. How can SD get it so wrong ! Twice at their most popular time of year !

Back to the voyage.

The weather is beautiful.

The fellow passengers are delightful.

A large range of various nationalities up for a good time. Everybody at the TOYB for pre-sail away drinks and sail away drinks in good humour introducing each one to one another (will never remember a quarter except a Bo the Swede, William the Scot, D & D, Helen and that's it).

Just one 12 year old boy. So no issues there. He is just under 6'0" and is most mature. A delightful family actually.

A group (10) of lovely Brazilians who sat next to us outside for dinner. Very pleasant, courteous, agreeable to crew etc... No complaints there either nor they of us, we hope.

The meal was generally excellent.

Chablis villages from the wine list ($54)

Oysters (6)

Spicy lentil soup.

Fruttii de mare

Potato curry

Strawberries in a balsamic jus

Petit fours

English breakfast tea

The frutti de mare was terrible. Pasta over-cooked, fish pieces too dry. Should ho hum tell the self same chef of last encounter ? No, not this time. Too much honesty for one day !

But the rest was brilliant. Laxman the Indian assistant to the sous-chef was brilliant.

A fantastic sunset at dinner. Weather perfect. Service by Amar faultless assisted by Jerry. Periodic attention by Enes & Christophe. Frank & Sean on wine pouring. A negotiated settlement with Frank whether the wine should be in an ice bucket or out of an ice bucket was reached when he suggested sitting the bottle on top of the ice ! Good job Frank.

Only one very scary woman encountered with the most bizarre hair-do which looked as if she had had an electric shock emanating from her bread making machine as it seemed the front was covered with exploding flour ! And yet a lovely lady who blondie chatted to at length.

Ho hum's pet name for her was Lucy (from Lucille Ball; she would often pull those surprised looks after an accident but blondie prefers Cruella de Vil).

Sadly no bete noirs to lampoon or gossip about except ho him himself perhaps.

Awful man and those old shirts he wears ! So rude to that nice man from SD HQ too.

Ho hum found the cabin to be quite stable but blondie's side did "spin" and un-dressing needed assistance (blondie not ho hum).

An ill-tempered affair which ho hum protested about, citing it was not his fault.......silence, blondie had "quickly fallen asleep".

On our way to Capri. Seas calm and a beautiful day ahead.

Oh the ship is full by the way.

SD back doing it what it does best and earning the company money t'boot.

It's really very, very simple. You just need to do the obvious.

A huge challenge for management/owner it appears.

And yet ho hum and blondie still love it, more and more in fact as do 111 others too !

Oh well, ho hum.

Well, the news from Via Conditi is that Ho-Hum has added appreciably to his shipboard attire. Happy that Blondie persevered

as some of the outfits were getting a little long in the tooth, as even Ho-Hum himself observed. Remember "pink is in"!

Commander's designer, Mr. Phyllis of Omaha, has just sent some of his new fall designs for approval. Of course, being a bit on the

conservative side, many will be rejected out of hand. Shocking puce and devilish lavender popular with many in the light-in-the loafer set has not yet caught Commander's eye. But, Mr. Phyllis is such a camp, it is difficult to come down too hardly on him for fear of a hissy fit. Ho-Hum can check out his line at: http://www.thebutchclothingcompany.co.uk quite close his "posh" UK

neighborhood.

You will get to see some of Commander's new rags on the crossing

in October. Each purchased to coincide with the various themed

nights we all so enjoy. In the meantime, all our love to you

and Blondie, with "shout outs" to Christophe, Frank, Gareth, Enes

and the others we hold in great affection.

Keep those shipboard missives coming, as they are great fodder

for our morning cappuccino.