.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Sorry to jump in here while people are congratulating Doramas and Fatima, but rather than start a separate thread this seemed like the place for an Idle Jotting rant! :eek:

Anyone else annoyed with the larger side ads that are appearing on this forum? Not sure how the page looks on a laptop or desktop computer, but on my iPad these wide-margined ads now take up a significant amount of the page, making the threads & posts harder to read.

Advertising on a forum is nothing new, but this particular format seems less reader friendly. Or, maybe it's time for new glasses?!! OK, rant off... just wondering if anyone else has noticed this change?

Sorry to jump in here while people are congratulating Doramas and Fatima, but rather than start a separate thread this seemed like the place for an Idle Jotting rant! :eek:

Anyone else annoyed with the larger side ads that are appearing on this forum? Not sure how the page looks on a laptop or desktop computer, but on my iPad these wide-margined ads now take up a significant amount of the page, making the threads & posts harder to read.

Advertising on a forum is nothing new, but this particular format seems less reader friendly. Or, maybe it's time for new glasses?!! OK, rant off... just wondering if anyone else has noticed this change?

Pinch or (in your case) spread the presented image on your ipad using your two fingers by dragging them apart across the screen.

Ho hum does'nt have adverts on the side of the displayed forum but a small box at the top right hand side containing a quick Cruise Price Check which constrains the width of the former full width page to incorporate the box too now.

But spread your fingers (apart) resting on the screen and the page will increase pushing the box off the screen and thus restoring the page to as it was before.

0.07 secs into video below is example of spreading presented image on ipad

Alternatively having found the page you want to read, turn the ipad sideways and the screen will widen.

Hope that helps old chap.

Pinch or (in your case) spread the presented image on your ipad using your two fingers by dragging them apart across the screen.>>

Thanks Ho Hum... I do know how to enlarge the screen :eek: but it just surprised me that the page format had suddenly changed since it wasn't necessary to do this in the past. But hopefully your handy tips will help other posters here who also use an iPad and are experiencing the same thing while reading this forum with just the regular screen.

<<Hope that helps old chap.>>

Very helpful Ho Hum, thanks.... but I'm a chap-ette! ;)

Pinch or (in your case) spread the presented image on your ipad using your two fingers by dragging them apart across the screen.>>

Thanks Ho Hum... I do know how to enlarge the screen :eek: but it just surprised me that the page format had suddenly changed since it wasn't necessary to do this in the past. But hopefully your handy tips will help other posters here who also use an iPad and are experiencing the same thing while reading this forum with just the regular screen.

<<Hope that helps old chap.>>

Very helpful Ho Hum, thanks.... but I'm a chap-ette! ;)

Quelle horeur ! A chap-ette ! You fool ho hum !

Yes ho hum can see that now !

Je suis tres desolee mademoiselle !

Meq culpe, mea culpe, mea maxima culpe.

Oh and an extra "mea culpe" for appearing to patronisingly imply you dont know how to use the functions of an ipad !

Arrogant British twit !

Have a nice day Lady CDreamer.

Quelle horeur ! A chap-ette ! You fool ho hum ! Yes ho hum can see that now ! Je suis tres desolee mademoiselle ! ... Oh and an extra "mea culpe" for appearing to patronisingly imply you dont know how to use the functions of an ipad ! Arrogant British twit !>>

Hahaha... de souci!!

Always good info to pass along - not everyone knows an iPad screen can be adjusted.

<<Have a nice day Lady CDreamer.>>

Thanks Ho Hum - you too!

So very moving !

How dignified the ex-servicemen were.

To a man, they spoke only about their lost colleagues.

"There by the grace of God, go I" (they seemed to say).

Yes truly moving.

Has it been covered in your country ?

Some photos attached.

image.jpg.b3417ef9526802c2ff9c8797a6c14351.jpg

So very moving !

How dignified the ex-servicemen were.

To a man, they spoke only about their lost colleagues.

"There by the grace of God, go I" (they seemed to say).

Yes truly moving.

Has it been covered in your country ?

Some photos attached.

there were several events here in Arizona that had survivors present. Lots of media coverage as well. Nice to see. A few years ago we had a chance to visit the D-Day beaches and Pointe du Hoc Cemetery. Very moving. And standing in the remains of the bunkers atop the cliffs, it is unbelievable that soldiers scaled those cliffs while under fire. Where would we ever find such men today? Of a similar note, the last surviving Navajo Code Talker from the Pacific Theatre of WWII died in Arizona last week.

there were several events here in Arizona that had survivors present. Lots of media coverage as well. Nice to see. A few years ago we had a chance to visit the D-Day beaches and Pointe du Hoc Cemetery. Very moving. And standing in the remains of the bunkers atop the cliffs, it is unbelievable that soldiers scaled those cliffs while under fire. Where would we ever find such men today? Of a similar note, the last surviving Navajo Code Talker from the Pacific Theatre of WWII died in Arizona last week.

Forgive ho hum's lack of certain knowledge but maybe you were visiting Utah / Omaha beach heads as you mention cliffs.

These were assaulted by the American 29th Division.

390 were killed, 511 were wounded and 27 were missing from this Division: they suffered the worst casualties of all the Normandy landings.

Ho hum found another touching photo of an ex-serviceman from this division.

Again the dignified response of a man commemorating former colleagues, friends even.

Probably for the last time.

Some of these guys have expressed the peace they feel after making the trip.

image.jpg.4fae4bf21e6e26c5de02e20b254023e4.jpg

I was privileged to be in Normandy the week before the 70th anniversary. It was truly moving -- and amazing to see the remains of the Mulberry harbor, the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc as well as those at Omaha. Even more heartening was to see all the Allied flags being flown in every small town in Normandy -- banners hung from windows and balconies -- and the preparations at major sites such as Caen and Ouisterham. The cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer is a lovely and peaceful site -- totally belying the horrors of 70 years ago. We were in Paris on the actual day and watched both French and BBC coverage. I know US television had a lot of coverage -- but it was very special to be in France.

Vandrefalk

I was privileged to be in Normandy the week before the 70th anniversary. It was truly moving -- and amazing to see the remains of the Mulberry harbor, the cliffs at Pointe du Hoc as well as those at Omaha. Even more heartening was to see all the Allied flags being flown in every small town in Normandy -- banners hung from windows and balconies -- and the preparations at major sites such as Caen and Ouisterham. The cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer is a lovely and peaceful site -- totally belying the horrors of 70 years ago. We were in Paris on the actual day and watched both French and BBC coverage. I know US television had a lot of coverage -- but it was very special to be in France.

Vandrefalk

Truly a very special time in history.

To be there. How unique.

Most memorable.

There have been lots of photographs.

Apart from the ex-servicemen, there have been photos of places: then and now.

It is as if the events of D Day were a few weeks ago.

The link below is particularly good.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/ng-interactive/2014/jun/01/d-day-landings-scenes-in-1944-and-now-interactive

. I am still researching public records over here to try and deduce what it was that caused the town of Carefree to name a road after you. I am sure it will turn up.

Well Jim, ho hum did'nt even know "ho hum" the expression was even known in America.

It has 1930's English overtones, P G Wodehouse and all that great stuff but ho hum does'nt think he ever actually used the expression !

Oh the irony.

Now how it entered America is as equally as intriguing.

Maybe the Bob Hope & Bing Crosby "Road to Morocco" film in which Bing sings a ho hum song. See link:

And the lyrics are below:

Ain't got a dime to my name,

What a terrible shame

Ho Hum, ho ho Hum.

Just found a hole in my shoe,

And my stockin' sticks through

Ho Hum, ho ho Hum.

I know that when you're as free

As a bird in a tree, life is a wonderful whim.

Look at the crank with his dough in the bank,

Don't you feel sorry for him?

Rolling along at a loss,

Never gathering moss,

Ho Hum, ho ho ho ho Hum.

I'm no terrific success,

I often worry I guess

Ho Hum, Wo ho ho Hum.

I like a shady ole' tree,

Whats a matter with me?

Ho Hum, ho hohoho Hum.

There's nothing quite as grotesque,

As a man at a desk,

Looking outside at the sun,

Shirts made of silk,

And a diet of milk,

Maybe he thinks he has fun.

I've got the vagabond itch,

Yes I'll never get rich

Ho Hum ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho ho hm

Written by: BURKE/VAN HEUSEN

Pretty pappy stuff.

But the point is, could a road be named after a song title ?

There are many uses for the word but the way ho hum intended to use the word was of "happy acceptance even of the tribulations you cant change".

Great name for a lover of Sea Dream, right ?

The new pants of yours will go well with your beer helmet.:eek:

Great idea Jim.

Your sophisticated taste and ensemble suggestion is much appreciated.

Good news Jim, ho hum has found his first chain of outlets popular in the great state of Arizona, which are wishing to stock the "groovy slacks".

See photo attached.

image.jpg.bdefff04eb1a38b2f58c3a11c2206936.jpg

"Not bad for his age" ... well it must be time for more treatments, as I had expected the the results would have

elicited a more glowing observation.

Alas Blondie, as usual, is far more generous in her

praise of my sartorial splendor. As for your new "pants"

(those are TROUSERS Commander, not PANTS) you seem to be

moving a little more to the "light in the loafer" set,

given new life by Commander himself in 60's golf attire.

Having recently celebrated my 75th though, will now have to stick to the more conservative Brooks Brothers look, favored

by aging fashionistas. Don't worry Ho-Hum, you'll be there

soon enough.

"Not bad for his age" ... well it must be time for more treatments, as I had expected the the results would have

elicited a more glowing observation.

Alas Blondie, as usual, is far more generous in her

praise of my sartorial splendor. As for your new "pants"

(those are TROUSERS Commander, not PANTS) you seem to be

moving a little more to the "light in the loafer" set,

given new life by Commander himself in 60's golf attire.

Having recently celebrated my 75th though, will now have to stick to the more conservative Brooks Brothers look, favored

by aging fashionistas. Don't worry Ho-Hum, you'll be there

soon enough.

"Not bad for his age"

Now round these here parts, that is high praise indeed, so ho hum's advice is, take what you're offered (and be grateful !).

The Brits are not so ready to compliment on personal attributes as the Americans, where everybody is "Awesome !".

It must be wonderful living in such a country with so many awesome people.

Not here in Blighty, no just ordinary people with slightly off colour bad teeth.

Oh and we wear bowler hats in the London fog and everybody knows that person (who is a distant relative of yours) just outside London !

To which there is always great delight when ho hum tells them that indeed ho hum knows of them, bumped into them shopping in Harrods and was asked to pass on their regards to them in fact.

"No way" is the usual delighted reply.

Of course Americans on Sea Dream are "la creme de la creme" of society and always delightful, interesting, knowledgable and fun.

Well CC, Ho hum has forwarded your name as stand in for Harrison Ford who has had an accident filming in the UK. His futuristic vehicle fell on his foot.

Your James Dean moodiness, Clooney good looks, Jackman athleticism and Sinatra style make you a natural choice and superior replacement.

Maybe you could then afford better golf gear.

The 60's golf attire: that's 1860's right ?

A classic look: bet it turns a few heads.

We have a photo of you. See below. Ho hum knows nothing about golf but should the bearded man be standing so close. When he takes his shot: he will be hitting three balls !

Ho hum was trying to use the American vernacular for trousers and was convinced they were indeed called "pants" but what does ho hum know of the Land of the Free: your correction is accepted with gratitude.

Ho hum remembers the first time he was in America and was staying in a decidedly "shady" (no not under a tree) area during "drive by shooting season" and was told "your room is 301, over there on the first floor".

Well ho hum walked and walked carrying blondie's suitcases and after half an hour, gave up". Returning to the fag smoking (again we have different terms here, ho hum means cigarette) old lady, reminiscent of that central character in the great the American movie "Throw momma from a train" and enquiring where the hell was the room.

She pointed to a "Lincoln" and said it was next to that.

What's a Lincoln, ho hum replied. Maybe it was a replica of the Lincoln monument.

Further instructions were needed from this exasperated lady looking at us incredulously and wondering how people in Britain get by.

Finally the riddle was resolved. Our ground floor is American's first floor. Et voila !

If ho hum looks half as good as your dear self, friend, then he will be grateful indeed though ho hum must confess that his eyesight is fading quickly judging by the reading of your actual post or are you to mean to pay for a fully inked font !

Ho hum and blondie are devastated we missed your birthday.

We will open a bottle of chilled, Laurent-Perrier rose and toast your valued friendship.

A votre sainte mon cher. A bientot.

image.jpg.a75aa43c11a179ce294b2c1605fe646e.jpg

Resist the temptation Ho-hum. I don't think they are really "you"…

But then again they may provide entertainment for fellow guests :D

Awww schucks !

Ho hum will not be deterred. Now must find new beachwear as the elasticated waist in ho hums tiny speedos could not take the strain any more !

Ho hum hopes you will approve of the selection. He has narrowed it down to two. Next time.

First, hope this eye-chart font eases your difficulty in keeping abreast

of my chatty posts.

Now, dearest Ho-Hum, "PANTS" is quite appropriate in the American

vernacular, BUT not in the more militaristic upbringing I endured,

where the use of the word pants for trousers was sternly corrected.

Still conjuring up the thought of you and your sansabelt (google it)

speedo. Time to make a concession to slowly advancing age which

favors something far less revealing ... perhaps your TUGAY shorts at

maxi length.

Will hold you to that Laurent-Perrier when next we meet. In the meantime, love all around.

Awww schucks !

Ho hum will not be deterred. Now must find new beachwear as the elasticated waist in ho hums tiny speedos could not take the strain any more !

Ho hum hopes you will approve of the selection. He has narrowed it down to two. Next time.

May I make two suggestions for latest beachwear?

One allows for maximum tanning, the other in support of England at the World Cup!

image.jpg.26d918331ceea4218f86a80a10eca510.jpg

First, hope this eye-chart font eases your difficulty in keeping abreast

of my chatty posts.

Now, dearest Ho-Hum, "PANTS" is quite appropriate in the American

vernacular, BUT not in the more militaristic upbringing I endured,

where the use of the word pants for trousers was sternly corrected.

Still conjuring up the thought of you and your sansabelt (google it)

speedo. Time to make a concession to slowly advancing age which

favors something far less revealing ... perhaps your TUGAY shorts at

maxi length.

Will hold you to that Laurent-Perrier when next we meet. In the meantime, love all around.

Praise the Lord !

Ho hum can see, he can see !

Hallelujah, hallelujah !

Praise be !

Praise be !

'Tis a miracle

Feeling the love Commander.

PS

Special request: water into wine please (ideally a Provencal rose) enough for twenty chums next weekend.

Oh and some canapes too (heard about feeding the 5,000: so twenty should be a doddle).