Requesting cabin change?

Erinchita

Hi there. I booked a GTY veranda on the April 6 Silhouette sailing. We were assigned room 7169 (2A), which I am generally pleased with. I was looking at some web sites and noticed that higher categories (like 1C, 1B) are now the same price, and there are cabins available. There are a couple available that have larger balconies on decks 8 and 9 that I am particularly interested in.

I have no experience in this so I'm enlisting your help. Is it worth calling my TA to see if I can get moved into the available rooms without a fee? Or would that just be opening a can of worms?

Thanks for any and all input.

It never hurts to ask....but

Celebrity's official policy is that you can change cabins after final payment as long as the cabin you want to move to costs at least $1 more than you paid for your original cabin. The category doesn't matter.

The practice is inconsistent....sometimes you will be allowed to change cabins even if the price of the cabin is equal or less than you have already paid...but there is no refund. Since the practice is inconstent, if there is a cabin you'd like you have little to lose by asking your TA (or celebrity if you booked directly with them) for the change.

Irrespective of whether you are following the policy or just asking, it's quite likely that the new cabin is being offered without some of the discounts/perks that you have with your current cabin....so fully understand what you get if you change. The desired cabin may be a very small upgrade (or free if they are inconsistent), but you may lose 1-2-3, on-board credits, free gratuities, etc.

Good luck

I've tried a number of times to upgrade after booking a GTY and have never had any luck. There have been situation when the cost of a CC cabin has dropped so as to be just a few $ more than the GTY rate and I was told I'd have to cancel the GTY (and pay the penalty) then rebook the CC. Wasn't worth it.

That being said, never hurts to ask. Worst thing you can be told is no.

So long as the price you are seeing is not part of a new booking only special, your TA should be able to upgrade you for no cost. Verify whether or not you will lose and perks attached to your reservation; for example if you booked during 123-Go the pricing for the stateroom you want to transfer to may not qualify for that perk.