Flying into FLL for Breeze out of Miami

Emeraldeyes5969

Can anyone tell me their experience with this? How far is Fort Lauderdale Airport from the Port of Miami? What can I expect to spend (ball park) for transportation to the port? The earliest flight I can find is arriving at FLL at 11:55..is that too late?

Thanks for any info!!

Can anyone tell me their experience with this? How far is Fort Lauderdale Airport from the Port of Miami? What can I expect to spend (ball park) for transportation to the port? The earliest flight I can find is arriving at FLL at 11:55..is that too late?

Thanks for any info!!

Oh no that will be fine. We just got back last weekend. It's a 30 min ride. We used QLS shuttle and they were right on time every time (used them twice). They will be calling you before you call them to let them know you are ready. Very convenient and we had a flight out at 11:15 and we were at the airport by 8am..self disembark.

15.00 pp each way.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

Are you arriving the same day as the cruise at 11:55? That's pretty tight. It's usually about a 30 minute ride to Miami but have had it take an hour if there's traffic. Any flight delays and you might have issues.

We just grabbed a shuttle last time outside at the airport for around $20pp. There are some that will do it cheaper, but I don't like the "fine print" on their terms now where they don't guarantee you a ride if your flight is late so read the contracts carefully before you pay or offer your credit card number. I won't use SAS after a friend was stood up by them several years ago (and reading the port boards not the first time it's happened, either.)

Check the number of ships in port on your return and add up both MIA and FLL. If there are a bunch, allow LOTS of time on the return at FLL. The last time I flew home from FLL there were 10 or so ships in and the security line snaked all over the airport and took over an hour just to get up to the screening area. This was AFTER having to stand in the check-in and bag check lines. So allow some time. If it's fall with only a few ships it's not so bad.

On my roll call thread someone contacted QLS (which I am also using but from my FLL hotel) anyway they advised they have shuttles @9am, 10, 11, 12pm and 1 normally. You would need to contact them as a reservation is required and it might depend on the day you arrive.

Good luck and Happy Sailing!!!

Kindle Fire using Taptalk app

I will also agree on the other posts, timewise you should be fine.. The port is only about 30-40 min away...We used SAS last yr and were very happy with them and already booked them for our cruise next month as well....

We did this last year too, while going on the Breeze, but our flight arrived around 9am, so it wasn't an issue.

Going on the Breeze again in July, but FINALLY convinced DH to fly in the day before:D:D

Anyone know if they do anything for the 4th of July in Miami? We are staying at the Intercontinental. Wondering if there will be fireworks in that area.

I would not worry too much so long as your flight arrives on time. We are flying in next Saturday to West Palm Beach at 9:00 AM for the Breeze, which he have done a few times. The price to PBI from Boston is a lot less then FLL for some reason next week. Although I am debating renting a car and driving the 70 minutes or so to Miami airport drop off and get the free shuttle vs. taxi it from the airport directly.

I always do a one-way car rental when I fly into FLL and cruise out of Miami. I always fly in the day before also, so I like having the car to run pre-cruise errands (grocery store, etc.) but it's actually cheaper most of the time too. You can usually find a car for about $40.

On my roll call thread someone contacted QLS (which I am also using but from my FLL hotel) anyway they advised they have shuttles @9am, 10, 11, 12pm and 1 normally. You would need to contact them as a reservation is required and it might depend on the day you arrive.

Good luck and Happy Sailing!!!

Kindle Fire using Taptalk app

For our last cruise, we flew into FLL and stayed at the Sleep Inn & Suites- airport shuttle, clean-modern hotel, next to shopping and restaurants and great hot breakfast. ---- Good rates and great AAA discount.

The next morning, we used QLS to pick us up at 9am. They are the best. They called us 15 min prior to arrival just to let us know they were on the way. The driver even offered to stop at a store for anyone needing any last minute items. The shuttle-bus was clean and everyone has their own seat..... not the bench seats like some suttle companies use where you are squeezed in like sardines. We arrived at POM around 9:45 and after dropping our luggage off with the porter, were the very first to get in the doors at 10am, when they opened.

After the cruise, we arranged a 10am pick-up time but were off the ship before 9. QLS actually called us to say that they had a 9am shuttle in the area and plenty of room if we wanted to leave earlier. Score!!

I would definetly recommend QLS shuttle. There were 5 of us and I think we paid around $12-13 pp. ???? Can't really remember, but for the service we received, it was well worth it.

We did not have a return flight until 2:25 and glad it was not earlier. FLL airport was a ZOO. The airline check in and the security lines were snaked around and around to the point where it was difficult to find the end of the line. No kidding. After we went through security, the gate areas were full, we ended up having to sit on the floor for awhile.

Perhaps FLL airport is not always such a cluster-muck, but it was for us.

BTW: we cruised from a Sat - Sat .

Good luck to you.

:)

I always do a one-way car rental when I fly into FLL and cruise out of Miami. I always fly in the day before also, so I like having the car to run pre-cruise errands (grocery store, etc.) but it's actually cheaper most of the time too. You can usually find a car for about $40.

I did that last time I was doing a cruise out of Miami but now I can't seem to find any rental companies that have a drop off close to the port. Any suggestion on companies?

I did that last time I was doing a cruise out of Miami but now I can't seem to find any rental companies that have a drop off close to the port. Any suggestion on companies?

I've always dropped off at the airport and taken one of their free shuttles to the port. It's been a few years since I did this, though, so I don't know if any of the companies are still offering this service. In the past, I rented through Thrifty.

Avis, Hertz and a few others have downtown Miami offices that are only a $12 or so cab ride from the port. National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free POM shuttles from their MIA airport location. Good luck! :)

I've always dropped off at the airport and taken one of their free shuttles to the port. It's been a few years since I did this, though, so I don't know if any of the companies are still offering this service. In the past, I rented through Thrifty.

We were on the Carnival Breeze a couple of weeks ago and flew into and out of FLL.

We rented a car from Alamo at FLL when we arrived the night before sailing. We drove to the port the next morning and I dropped my wife and kids and all of our luggage at the POM and then I took the car to MIA. If probably took me a little over an hour to get back to the ship which really isn't too bad. I used the free Alamo shuttle from MIA to POM.

When we got off the ship, I did the self assist off the ship with only our camera bag while the wife and kids were in zone 4 to get off the ship. I walked out of customs at 7:05 AM and the Alamo shuttle was sitting there waiting. The shuttle waited until about 7:20 to leave so a few more people could get on. We also stopped quickly at two other ships to pick up a few more people and then went to MIA. I picked up the car and headed for POM and arrived back there about 8:30. My wife and kids were off the ship, had picked up the luggage, and through customs by that time but only had to wait about 10 minutes for me to show up.

We stayed in the area overnight and flew out of FLL the next morning. Once again I dropped my wife and kids and our luggage off at the Delta terminal and I went to return the car. When I got back to the terminal my family was just getting ready to go through security so the car return went very quickly.

As you can see the car rental went very smoothly and was an affordable option for the four of us. The rental when arrived in FLL cost about $42 and the rental when we got off the ship was only $34 That was the final cost after all taxes and fees.

Edited by bwellen

We flew into FLL for our Breeze cruise a few months ago and used SAS Transportation. The driver called me before we boarded our plane in Newark to make sure we were "on time" and told me to call him when we landed before we got our luggage and he would be outside waiting for us. He was there when we got outside and drove us straight to our hotel in Miami. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. SAS was $40 plus tip. We flew in the day before.

Personally, I would not fly in the day of embarkation with an 11:55 arrival. There are too many variables that would be too stressful to deal with. I don't know when you are flying or where from, but if your flight is delayed a couple hours for anything (which is the norm out of NY/NJ) you will miss the ship. It's not that you can't make it...11:55 gives you plenty of time to make it to the ship, it's that there's A SMALL CHANCE THAT YOU WON'T MAKE IT. If that's your only choice good luck, but if you can fly in a day earlier then for piece of mind, please do!