Advice on booking return flight

ssims20

Hi all - hope I can get some advice on booking my return flight after the cruise. We are cruising Alaska on the Jewel May 31 - June 7. This is our first cruise so I'm not sure how quick the deboarding (??) process can go - although it sounds like it can be pretty fast. There is a returning flight leaving at 11:35a out of SEATAC. This would be the preferred because this is a nonstop flight and would have us back to Albuquerque by 3:50. The other flights leave at 12:50 and then 3:05 but get in at 7:50 and 9:55. That is a big deal because we still have a four :( hour drive to actually get home. Is 11:35 a safe enough bet? Or should we book one of the later ones? Any advice is appreciated.

Hi all - hope I can get some advice on booking my return flight after the cruise. We are cruising Alaska on the Jewel May 31 - June 7. This is our first cruise so I'm not sure how quick the deboarding (??) process can go - although it sounds like it can be pretty fast. There is a returning flight leaving at 11:35a out of SEATAC. This would be the preferred because this is a nonstop flight and would have us back to Albuquerque by 3:50. The other flights leave at 12:50 and then 3:05 but get in at 7:50 and 9:55. That is a big deal because we still have a four :( hour drive to actually get home. Is 11:35 a safe enough bet? Or should we book one of the later ones? Any advice is appreciated.

You should be OK unless there are delays. Usually you can walk off the ship between 7:30 - 8:00 if you self debark (you haul your luggage). If traffic is not a problem that leaves you about 3 hours to make your flight. It's really a toss up and if you wish to take the slight risk. You would certainly not have problems with the 12:50 flight.

Hopefully, someone with recent experience will post.

It's also a good idea to check what is going on in town when you arrive. Parades, etc. are great but sure bring traffic to a crawl:)

Edited by kcwingwalker

You should be fine with an 11:35 am flight. We generally go for flights around noon and have never missed one yet.

You didn't specify how you're getting from the ship to SeaTac, but on a Sunday morning it's about a 15 to 20 minute taxi ride. You can carry your own luggage off and be in the first group to disembark If you prefer to have the ships crew get your luggage off the ship, you can select the baggage tags for an early disembarkation group from the purser's desk in the atrium.

I woud not use an NCL transfer to the airport, as that will put you in the position of waiting on others to fill your bus before you leave the pier. Better to take a cab, or book your own car service to the airport.

I agree with those who say that a return flight at 11.35 AM should be OK. But delays CAN happen for a number of reasons, all though it doesn't happen often - so make sure to purchase a travel insurance before (or at the same time as) you book your flight. Better safe than sorry IF something unexpected should happen. :)

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice. Our ship is actually docking back on Saturday but my expectation is that things should be pretty quiet traffic wise before 10a. I was in Seattle once about 7 years ago and flew out on a Saturday and traffic was not a concern that day but kcwingwalker that is a good idea to check for any possible events that could be happening.

Our group is myself, sister and our parents - sister and I in West Texas and parents in New Mexico. We checked flights out of Lubbock but Albuquerque was just so much cheaper.

May 31st sailing date is actually a pretty recent change - we were booked on the Jewel two weeks earlier and I had signed up on that roll call, but literally 5 days before final payment realized that our nephew/grandson is graduating high school that weekend (we had thought it would be after we got back). We couldn't not be there for that so we were lucky and were able to reschedule to this date, same cabin type and $300 less somehow. I will be sure to go and sign up on that roll call.

Thanks again.

Wow we are in west Texas also. We are flying out of midland/odessa(MAF) on southwest using points. On return flight I had to book 2 separate legs SEA to Las Vegas then Las Vegas to Maf. It used less points, but had to fly on Sunday, but that is fine as we can explore Seattle more.

The cruise line is almost REQUIRED to give a longer timeframe to cover their a$$.

That time should work okay, but as said, do not use transfer. And, do your own bags.

Personally, Seattle is such a a great city to visit, we would/have stayed an extra day and not worried about it.