Castaway Cay question....

We sail on Sunday!!! It's finally here!!! One thing I haven't seen addressed here is whether one needs some type of water shoes/AquaSocks at Castaway Cay. I hate swimming in them and would much rather feel the sand between my toes. Any thoughts? Is there something important I'm not considering?

TIA,

Brian

Depending on the tide and the area where you are swimming, it can be rocky on the bottom. There are wide expanses of lovely sand, and other areas where the bottom isn't pleasant at all. It is more rocky at Serenity Bay than at the family beach...but again, one of the big factors is the ocean levels based on season of year and time of day.

We didn't need them at all when we went. We did not go to serenity bay, however. The only time I put on shoes (or flip flops I should say) was walking to/from the ship and around the island to places like lunch and the shops when I wasn't on the actual beach.

We didn't need them at all when we went. We did not go to serenity bay, however. The only time I put on shoes (or flip flops I should say) was walking to/from the ship and around the island to places like lunch and the shops when I wasn't on the actual beach.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

We sail on Sunday!!! It's finally here!!! One thing I haven't seen addressed here is whether one needs some type of water shoes/AquaSocks at Castaway Cay. I hate swimming in them and would much rather feel the sand between my toes. Any thoughts? Is there something important I'm not considering?

TIA,

Brian

Just my $.02 - I'm going to point out that the beach on Castaway Cay is mostly made up of crushed shells and coral. It can be a little rough on some feet. And in the water, more so, due to whatever the tides may carry in.

I always wear water shoes, that way I don't have to worry about slipping out of them, like with flip-flops.

Well having been to CC so many times, never worn shoes, no one in the family has, the sea is mostly sand and it's fine on the feet,

We have been to all the beaches the adult one is the only one that's slightly rough.

There is no need to wear sea shoes at all.

It's regularly groomed and the sand comes out the ships channel.

I have been there recently, not sure how recent others have been there.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Was at Serinity Bay last Tuesday. Wore flip flops to the beach, walked instead of riding the tram. Barefoot in the water walked out to the sand bar and saw many fish and sand dollars. Was a great day, low 72, high 78 degrees.

I miss that place already...

Edited by N41EF

If you are going to Serenity Bay (which I highly recommend) you will want aqua sox, water shoes, whatever. It can be very sharp on your feet. I was last there in October, but it's always been that over the years I've been going there and I doubt it has changed.

Can only comment about Serenity Bay.

We didn't have water shoes on our first visit as were expecting the water underfoot to be like Half Moon Cay but is wasn't, it was sharp and a bit rocky in the water, so on subsequent trips to Castaway we always took water shoes.

For reference, we were last there in December.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Just my $.02 - I'm going to point out that the beach on Castaway Cay is mostly made up of crushed shells and coral. It can be a little rough on some feet. And in the water, more so, due to whatever the tides may carry in.

I always wear water shoes, that way I don't have to worry about slipping out of them, like with flip-flops.

I agree with Shmoo 100%. I love this island to bits and miss it so much, but my feet did take a beating in the water. Best to have the water shoes with you just in case you need then that day. Have a wonderful time!