Phone numbers and tips in London / Great Britain

We're going to be spending 3 days in London before our Great Britain / TA on the Ruby Princess in August.

I'm trying to figure out phone numbers. When I have a number like + (44) 020-0000-0000 I figure I would have to dial all of the numbers if I was calling from home (Texas). But what would I dial once I get to London. My best guess is I would drop the + (44). :)

Also, being American I'm used to tipping in restaurants, taxis, etc. What's the custom in London? I'm already planning on tipping our driver for the private car service we're using from the airport to our hotel and from the hotel to Southampton.

Thanks.

Hi sparky once you are in the UK you would as said drop th +44

be careful with the rest of the number though as when you are using +44 usually the first digit (the zero) is removed

so if the number you see doesn't start with a zero

add that back on to amke an 11 digit number

or if dialling a local area from a land line you dial the last six digits

As for the tipping it's a case of what you feel is justified

all service people will accept a tip but apart from restaurants it is not as "expected" as it is in america

but if you are giving it is all about what you think is justified

We're going to be spending 3 days in London before our Great Britain / TA on the Ruby Princess in August.

I'm trying to figure out phone numbers. When I have a number like + (44) 020-0000-0000 I figure I would have to dial all of the numbers if I was calling from home (Texas). But what would I dial once I get to London. My best guess is I would drop the + (44). :)

Also, being American I'm used to tipping in restaurants, taxis, etc. What's the custom in London? I'm already planning on tipping our driver for the private car service we're using from the airport to our hotel and from the hotel to Southampton.

Thanks.

Phone numbers

All UK phone numbers are 11 digit in the form 01234 123456 (01234 is the std[which stands for 'subscriber trunk dialling'...harking back to the days of manual switchboards] or area code, 123456 is the number)

All start with an 0, most start 01, but there are some that start 02 (this is just to confuse you!!:D). Premium rates start 08, mobiles 07.

Ok, back to our example

If phoning from abroad, you have to use the UK international code +44 (where + is the shortened version of 00), but you have to drop the first 0 of the std code, so from abroad you would dial +441234 123456.

Hope thats all as clear as mud!

Tips

Taxis - normally round it up to the next pound or so...if you were charged £21.50, give the driver £23 - £24 (unless they have been really helpful)

Private hire (for your long trips) - LHR to London ...probably a £5, London to Soton ...probably £5 or £10 according to helpfulness (BTW Soton is the short version of Southampton...seen on road signs etc)

Pubs - don't tip for drinks or meals (unless in a proper restaurant bit of a pub)

Restaurants - tip about 10% depending on service.

Hope that helps you out.

Simon

Well done, Simon, for such a concise & lucid explanation of phoning in the UK. :p

Just ignore the +44 & replace it with 0.

So (+44) 2392 420793 becomes 02392 420793

Simples.

Tipping in the UK is no big deal, provided that you disguise your American accent ;)

As Simon's post, it's entirely up to you & his examples are about the average. Bear in mind that there's a living minimum wage in the UK so tips are a bonus, the jam rather than the bread.

One exception is that in tourist areas most restaurants add a service charge, usually 15%. Treat that as the "tip". And don't be afraid to cause a scene by deleting it if service has been particularly poor. By law, the service charge - and any other add-ons that are very occasionally seen such as a cover charge - must be shown on the menu, and a copy of the menu must be displayed outside the premises. I try to avoid places with a service charge - in the UK it's seen as an attempt to camouflage the true cost - but pretty unavoidable in places like central London.

By law, tax is always included in the advertised price - and that goes for shop purchases etc as well.

We don't tip bar-keeps, though if for instance you and the bar-keep spend an evening in a quiet pub or hotel bar resolving all the world's problems, it's usual to buy him a drink.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Well done, Simon, for such a concise & lucid explanation of phoning in the UK. :p

Simples.

Tipping in the UK is no big deal, provided that you disguise your American accent ;)

As Simon's post, it's entirely up to you & his examples are about the average. Bear in mind that there's a living minimum wage in the UK so tips are a bonus, the jam rather than the bread.

One exception is that in tourist areas most restaurants add a service charge, usually 15%. Treat that as the "tip". And don't be afraid to cause a scene by deleting it if service has been particularly poor. By law, the service charge - and any other add-ons that are very occasionally seen such as a cover charge - must be shown on the menu, and a copy of the menu must be displayed outside the premises. I try to avoid places with a service charge - in the UK it's seen as an attempt to camouflage the true cost - but pretty unavoidable in places like central London.

By law, tax is always included in the advertised price - and that goes for shop purchases etc as well.

We don't tip bar-keeps, though if for instance you and the bar-keep spend an evening in a quiet pub or hotel bar resolving all the world's problems, it's usual to buy him a drink.

As always your posts are informational and entertaining at the same time. I've printed this thread to take with us!! Thanks for all the help that you give here on CC. :) Patric

As always your posts are informational and entertaining at the same time. I've printed this thread to take with us!! Thanks for all the help that you give here on CC. :) Patric

I was looking at your future cruises and it looks like we'll both be on the Ruby in August. Agree on how helpful everyone has been.

Simples.

Thanks - perfect info. Although I have a feeling I would have a problem trying to use a British accent. I wish the tax would be included in our prices here - it would make it so much easier.

Edited by sparky-elpaso

Good advice from John Bull about tipping in UK. I find that our restaurants are adopting the common practice of continental Europe and adding a service charge (aka tip) to the bill automatically. This will usually be 10% or 12%, or up to 15% in touristy areas or if there is a party of more than 5 people.

Whenever it is added, it is quite clearly indicated on the bill and you are at liberty to remove, or reduce if not satisfied with the service. (You can also give more if particularly pleased!) When looking at the menus, you will notice that it is usually indicated whether service will be added and how much. Don't be afraid to ask the servers if you are not sure.

Overall, I think you will find it quite straightforward.If service is included, just pay the bottom line of the bill. That's it!

Edited by Flainefan

Phone numbers

All UK phone numbers are 11 digit in the form 01234 123456 (01234 is the std[which stands for 'subscriber trunk dialling'...harking back to the days of manual switchboards] or area code, 123456 is the number)

All start with an 0, most start 01, but there are some that start 02 (this is just to confuse you!!:D). Premium rates start 08, mobiles 07.

Ok, back to our example

If phoning from abroad, you have to use the UK international code +44 (where + is the shortened version of 00), but you have to drop the first 0 of the std code, so from abroad you would dial +441234 123456.

Hope thats all as clear as mud!

Tips

Taxis - normally round it up to the next pound or so...if you were charged £21.50, give the driver £23 - £24 (unless they have been really helpful)

Private hire (for your long trips) - LHR to London ...probably a £5, London to Soton ...probably £5 or £10 according to helpfulness (BTW Soton is the short version of Southampton...seen on road signs etc)

Pubs - don't tip for drinks or meals (unless in a proper restaurant bit of a pub)

Restaurants - tip about 10% depending on service.

Hope that helps you out.

Simon

What would an appropriate tip be for a private car from Harwich to London?

What would an appropriate tip be for a private car from Harwich to London?

Tipping is subjective in the UK, so it's no big deal, & opinions will vary.

£5 or £10 (total, not pp) is my opinion, but zilch if the car or driver aren't up-to-scratch.

Any other bids? ;)