What the heck?

dogladyjw

Interesting that they are called this. I see only a slight relation to the definitions shown online.

1. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
  2. An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
  3. A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.

And who says we don't learn things on Cruise Critic! ;)

And mine's my buddy Limpy...a 9 year old squirrel I've been feeding peanuts in front of my house every day at 6pm (unless I'm away) since she was a young squirrellet.

Some of the internet terms were coined by some computer geek along the way, and simply stuck. Avatar is one of them that just seems to have caught on. Emoticons also caught on as an accepted term for those little smiley faces and other faces people throw into their messages - though they are called Smilies here!

Posts for the messages you add to a particular site, Threads for the entire line of posts and replies...lots of internet lingo has to be learned to keep up!

If an "avatar" is yourself is it still an avatar? Something a little recursive about that. I guess I'll let my self represent myself. ;)

Avatar info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_%28virtual_reality%29

Mine is a headshot from a larger picture of me standing on the deck of the Talkeetna Lodge during our post-cruise drive.

Archived