Monkeys

angel54321

Hi,

We will be in Roatan soon, and I'm not really looking to book anything all day.... The only thing we want to do is see and hold monkeys.....

Any suggestions on where would be the best place to do this?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailing 3/23/14 on the Norwegian Dawn

Victor Bodden comes highly recommended and his prices are affordable. You can choose either a private or group tour and then customize the tour with whatever you want to do for the day. You would need to email his company to set up a reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just be careful. His monkeys (or any monkey) can and will bite. The attacked my (then) 3 year old and Victors staff acted like it wasn't a big deal. (I have heard of others bitten as well). Just watch yourself. :)

I've also seen the same on some of the youtube videos made while at Victor's.

That says that it's just steps from the port. So, has anyone been here & can we simply walk there when getting off the ship?

We held the monkey's at Victor Bodden and one bit my son. I freaked out. I was so worried he would have a disease. We went to the doctor on the ship and he said people get bit there everyday. My son was fine.

They were precious. We brought a box of cheerios and a box of fruit loops with us to feed them. Once they tasted the fruit loops they pushed the cheerios away with their itty bitty hands. :)

I would go there again.

Not sure what Port of Roatan location is, maybe Coxen Hole since Mahogany Bay is totally Carnival ?

I've also seen the same on some of the youtube videos made while at Victor's.

That says that it's just steps from the port. So, has anyone been here & can we simply walk there when getting off the ship?

RoatanToursExcursions recommends the Monkey Farm which is located just steps from the Port of Roatan,

Edited by overthehillcruiser

We held the monkey's at Victor Bodden and one bit my son. I freaked out. I was so worried he would have a disease. We went to the doctor on the ship and he said people get bit there everyday. My son was fine.

They were precious. We brought a box of cheerios and a box of fruit loops with us to feed them. Once they tasted the fruit loops they pushed the cheerios away with their itty bitty hands. :)

I would go there again.

Do you think having food helped, hurt, or wouldn't make a difference in regard to being bitten?

Do you think having food helped, hurt, or wouldn't make a difference in regard to being bitten?

She did not have any food at the time my little one was bitten. He just ran up and grabbed her arm, bit her and my husband had to swat him away and he tried again and the guy in there with us (that works for Victor) kinda stepped in and kept him back while we got out.

She did not have any food at the time my little one was bitten. He just ran up and grabbed her arm, bit her and my husband had to swat him away and he tried again and the guy in there with us (that works for Victor) kinda stepped in and kept him back while we got out.

Then I wonder if you would have had food if that would have helped keep the monkey occupied maybe?

Although truly, I would have thought they wouldn't let people bring anything in because there were morons on youtube that were shoving their plastic water bottles at the monkeys and instigating them.

Then I wonder if you would have had food if that would have helped keep the monkey occupied maybe?

Although truly, I would have thought they wouldn't let people bring anything in because there were morons on youtube that were shoving their plastic water bottles at the monkeys and instigating them.

They give you carrots to feed the animals (and how they do this fyi is they have a full carrot and they bite off a piece and hand it to you to feed the animals) and gave us a piece here and there when we entered the cage. She did feed one a carrot but at the time she was bitten, she was just standing there and he ran up the cage wire wall, grabbed her arm and started biting not letting go while she screamed. So honestly I'm not sure what the factors were. I do know that after this happened, people on here were talking about how many people have been bitten by monkeys in the Caribbean at places like this and there were multiple links to videos of attacks by monkeys on kids (so bad that they had to have surgery to repair their face). It was scary. However, you have to realize that no matter what, these are wild animals that are in captivity. Has it stopped my little one from ever holding another monkey? Nope. She finally gathered enough courage to try again when we went to Roatan (but different place). So don't be discouraged about it, I'm just saying watch yourself.

She finally gathered enough courage to try again when we went to Roatan (but different place). So don't be discouraged about it, I'm just saying watch yourself.

Where was your 2nd encounter?

I too am concerned for my daughter, and she's 14!! LOL. She did ok when we went swimming with the stingrays but is leery of the monkeys already.

Where was your 2nd encounter?

I too am concerned for my daughter, and she's 14!! LOL. She did ok when we went swimming with the stingrays but is leery of the monkeys already.

The next time we came across them was at Maya Key in Roatan. She refused that one knowing what happened the time before.

After that we went to Little French Key and she decided she would give it another shot. But, she only wanted to hold the baby monkey there. It was so sweet. (They did have one in the cage they called "snippy" because he would bite, but we kinda tried to avoid him).

My son was bitten by accident. He was feeding the monkey and it accidentally bit his finger trying to eat the fruit loops. Even though it wasn't a bad bite I still worried myself sick that he would catch a disease.

We have been warned not to hold the monkeys people walk down the beach with. You can't be sure they are fully vaccinated.

We did the monkeys at Victors. One nipped a little at one of my fingers, but did not break the skin. I just think it was trying to make sure it got all of the peanuts I had.

I would recommend either victors, Maya key or little French key.

I read this thread earlier today and it got me thinking (worrying) about the monkey portion of our Victor Bodden tour. We were really excited about seeing and holding the monkeys, then I considered rabies, etc.

I emailed Victor today and quickly got a reply. I asked if his monkeys received vaccinations or vet care. He said they are seen monthly by a vet and receive boosters regularly. He even gave me the name of their vet and said to feel free to contact them.

Doesn't mean they won't bite, but at least it shouldn't make you sick.

Just wanted to share the information.

I read this thread earlier today and it got me thinking (worrying) about the monkey portion of our Victor Bodden tour. We were really excited about seeing and holding the monkeys, then I considered rabies, etc.

I emailed Victor today and quickly got a reply. I asked if his monkeys received vaccinations or vet care. He said they are seen monthly by a vet and receive boosters regularly. He even gave me the name of their vet and said to feel free to contact them.

Doesn't mean they won't bite, but at least it shouldn't make you sick.

Just wanted to share the information.

Thanks for sharing - this is good to know.

Victor's people will give you instructions on how to approach the monkeys. There are certain things that provoke them, such as grabbing their tails and trying to pick them up, you are supposed to wait for them to come to you. Yes they will jump on you, rummage your pockets, and love to steal the hat off your head. One of them got really mad at my daughter because she got too close to his little house (it's like a big bird house). It didn't bite her but screeched at her and yanked her hair--she thought it was funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums