Liverpool Criuise Terminal

ToadOfToadHall

The Cunard Building is to become the new cruise terminal but has renovation began? It has it's own web site: Cunard Building and even has its own logo - that includes the profile of a ship I might have seen somewhere. ;)

No mention of any renovation there as the site is directed toward potential tenants.

Interesting that the baggage racks are still there in the basement.

I tried to book the Liverpool to Halifax, etc crossing through a TA in Liverpool but they phoned me 30 minutes after booking had opened to say that it was sold out.

I refuse to travel all the way down to Southampton again so it's goodbye Cunard until they sail from Liverpool again.

In June we sail to Iceland on the Discovery. It's an old ship, it's small, but it sails from Liverpool!

I tried to book the Liverpool to Halifax, etc crossing through a TA in Liverpool but they phoned me 30 minutes after booking had opened to say that it was sold out.

I refuse to travel all the way down to Southampton again so it's goodbye Cunard until they sail from Liverpool again.

In June we sail to Iceland on the Discovery. It's an old ship, it's small, but it sails from Liverpool!

Bye then:p

No comment.

/QUOTE]

This was open for booking to top tier WC grades last Tuesday. Not surprisingly it sold out very quickly.

Got a letter today from TA offering a short cruise break Liverpool to Soton on QE on 25 May (Q507B) I imagine there are cabins available from people wishing to disembark in Liverpool at the end of the Baltic cruise.

David.

The Cunard Building is to become the new cruise terminal but has renovation began? It has it's own web site: Cunard Building and even has its own logo - that includes the profile of a ship I might have seen somewhere.

For those doing a crossing, when arriving in NY a visit to our Cunard Building is worthwhile: http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/LM006-CUNARDBUILDING.htm It is in lower Manhattan near Wall Street and the World Trade Center.

You could ask your travel agent to place you on the wait list for this crossing. We have been lucky with the wait list in the past, and have always been able to get on the trip we wanted to take, so it might be worth a try.

Edited by safarigal

You could ask your travel agent to place you on the wait list for this crossing. We have been lucky with the wait list in the past, and have always been able to get on the trip we wanted to take, so it might be worth a try.

Thanks, I might try that. You would think that the TA would suggest it.

Hi Warringtonian. Think we are going to take the same stance as you about Liverpool departures in future. We are only going to Southampton to board for Liverpool Salute so that we can sail into and out of Liverpool - what a treat! Good luck with the Wait List. By the way, if he is still on board Discovery, you will have the best Cruise Director in the world in Richard Sykes - another treat!

Sandie

We have a Cunard Building in Boston. 126 State Street.

As a Yank, I'm really looking forward to sailing out of Liverpool. It's my plan to stay 3-4 days prior to sailing.

It'll be the 160th anniversary of my Bolton family members immigrating to America.

I wonder how quickly passengers can be processed for boarding in Liverpool... assuming of course that the computers don't go down for their all too often 1pm siesta?

From the Wikipedia entry for the Cunard Line: "[in July 1840] the first of the four ocean-going steamers of the Britannia Class, departed Liverpool, arriving in Halifax after 12 days and 10 hours, averaging 8.5 knots (15.7 km/h), before proceeding to Boston..."

QM2 is scheduled to depart Liverpool and arrive in New York 10 days later. If Cunard keeps slowing her down (and use a call at Halifax to make it less obvious) it won't be long before a crossing matches the 1840 schedule.:(

The crossing I'm taking on 5 June of this year from Southampton to Halifax takes five days and 20 hours, allowing for the four-hour time difference between England and Nova Scotia. The crossing of 4 July 2015 from Liverpool to Halifax would appear to take the same time. (It's a shame that portion of the historic crossing isn't being sold as a segment.) It is taking two nights from Halifax to Boston and another two nights from there to New York. That is what makes the voyage seem so long, but the actual Atlantic crossing is only a day longer than in the first three decades of the QE2.

I wonder how quickly passengers can be processed for boarding in Liverpool... assuming of course that the computers don't go down for their all too often 1pm siesta?

If the figure of 20% of total passengers boarding in Liverpool is correct there will be around 520. Liverpool is handling that number with the other ships using the port now, so they should cope. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I'm not sure how the transfer from the Cunard building will be handled, but what a cruise terminal it will be.

David.

The Cunard Building is to become the new cruise terminal but has renovation began? It has it's own web site: Cunard Building and even has its own logo - that includes the profile of a ship I might have seen somewhere. ;)

No mention of any renovation there as the site is directed toward potential tenants.

Interesting that the baggage racks are still there in the basement.

For news on the building, best to keep checking the Liverpool Echo, here is an article from Nov 13:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/take-look-cunard-building---6358430

Edited by nellydean

I have a comment! :D

Between now and December 2015, all 3 Cunard ships will be departing or arriving in Liverpool, in total there are about 25 cruises visiting Liverpool.

Having read this thread only partly but from the beginning, I am sure that for some of the passengers this is not enough! I even have the impression that it never is enough for them, and this is the reason why I made 'no comment', which in reality means an indirect criticism without wanting to be impolite, humiliating or hurting. I was disappointed because of the self-centeredness of some people.

What did Mummy say? She said: share!

And shall I tell you what I would do just to embark on my QM2?? I would even fly to Cape Horn ... and I don't like flying!

Not enough ... when all the airports in Europe were closed because of the Icelandic vulcany erupting and distributing his ashes all over Europe in 2010: With 3 heavy suitcases I changed trains about 5 times in Central and Western Europe, arrived in France which was not at all responding to the transport problems, took the ferry with thousands of passengers waiting to embark, took a taxi and invited some English people on board who did not even say 'thank you', took the train to London and took another train to Southampton, where I finally embarked on my first transatlantic with QM2.

All the huzzle was well worth it and I would not hesitate one second to do it again :cool: :p

Between now and December 2015, all 3 Cunard ships will be departing or arriving in Liverpool, in total there are about 25 cruises visiting Liverpool.

p

This year there are 20 sailings from Liverpool. That's sailings not visits. Discovery (7) Thomson Spirit (3) Boudicca (10) and in 2015 there is one limited Cunard crossing plus a selection of the others as above.

I haven't bothered to add up Southampton's total but it's going to be massive in comparison, so whatever Mummy says, share is not really valid is it?

Why does it get under your wick when Northern folk post that they would like a few Cunard sailings from a port that doesn't involve a long journey and often an overnight stay?

David.

Edited by balf

You want to corner me, don't you :D.

Nevertheless, there is hardly anything I can do about it. Those who complain should be happy that measures have been taken and things are moving. All this takes time. So if you or others want to board a Cunard ship that is unavailable in Liverpool, then there is no other way than moving down to Soton. If they don't want to do that, bad luck. I am moving up to Soton all the time and not only that whichever transport I choose, it's cumbersome, there are very little direct flights, for example. If they are available, then it's small machines and turbulent flights :eek:.

I don't think this forum can help in making some people's voyages easier. In the end it's Cunard's/Carnival's decision. Inconveniences of this kind apply to all of us. For me, it's worth it and I make the best of it. Good night.

Got it! The latin 'pluralis majestatis' is often 'used by people in high office'. Cats2010 has given himself/herself away - he/she is the MP for Southampton (we should have guessed by all the hot air)! Quite enjoying all his/her posts, particularly the extremely rude 'no comment' ones. Whilst it is true that he/she is offensive about a vibrant and up-coming City, it really is amusing but then we in Liverpool do have a sense of humour. Fancy comparing 25 Liverpool cruises to Southampton's total - that really does take the biscuita,

Sandie

Got it! The latin 'pluralis majestatis' is often 'used by people in high office'. Cats2010 has given himself/herself away - he/she is the MP for Southampton (we should have guessed by all the hot air)! Quite enjoying all his/her posts, particularly the extremely rude 'no comment' ones. Whilst it is true that he/she is offensive about a vibrant and up-coming City, it really is amusing but then we in Liverpool do have a sense of humour. Fancy comparing 25 Liverpool cruises to Southampton's total - that really does take the biscuita,

Sandie

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. :confused: