How's the diving in Nassau?

smallchange

We're on the Allure with what seems a short stop (7 hours)in Nassau. The ship offers a 5 hour dive excursion there. Is the diving in that area worth it? Usually, we book privately, but in this case, wouldn't want to chance missing the ship at the first port. Thoughts?

it sucks .....

you might luck out and get a good one .. if some critter shows up

but IME the standard cruise dive from Stuarts Cove is good only for those who've never dove in a 'real' place. If you've only dove in a midlands ditch ... this will seem GREAT.

Well, I've dived all over the Caribbean, Sea of Cortez, and French Polynesia and thought the diving was great. I'm an underwater photographer and got many quality photos. No lucky shots, the critters were there and plentiful.

been diving since the 70's and worked on ships in the Car'b which allowed me to dive many places ya'll can't go easily . . .

where a cruise trip will take you from Nassau (probably Stuart's Cove) is hardly worth the $ unless it is your only option . . .

Having been to Stuart Cove`s place 5 times in the past 8 years I`ve found the diving to be very good. Even if you don`t choose to do a shark dive which I do recommend you usually will see reef sharks. I`m a S.E. Florida native and have travelled all over the Caribbean diving and Nassau with Stuart Cove`s operation is better than most cruise ship operators you`ll find. They are a first class operator, their site usually has good viz, plenty to see, good equipment, short boat rides what's not to like. I`ve been diving the Bahamas since the early 70`s there is some awesome diving on many of the over 700 islands.

there's GREAT diving in the Bahamas ... Cay Sal, Bimini, Green Turtle . . . Nassau?

the standard cruise ship trip from Stuart's is to 'James Bond Reef' which is just a pile of junk on the bottom. Sand and NO coral.

A shark dive is different. For extra dollars you ignore the environment and enjoy the critters ... if that's your thing .. go for it. I enjoy diving in the big tank at EPCOT myself .... it TOO is a compromise.

Stuarts IS IMO a good operator and their boat rides are short ... but James Bond Reef sucks IMO and frankly I dove the ACTUAL PLANE used in THUNDERBALL in the 80's (noted in my log) and it was on the other side of the island (noted in my log)!!!!! Stuart's plane is a skeleton used for other shots . . .

Storms have destroyed what I saw . . . much like the Oro Verde

http://cayman-islands.greatestdivesites.com/north_west/oro_verde

in Cayman

At Stuart Cove`s place there are the old James Bond wrecks a small ship and a little plane. The plane is not much to look at the ship is still upright and in good shape with usually very good viz and a nice assortment of local marine life. There is plenty of hard bottom coral near by with lots of fish. Is it the best place in the Bahamas not a chance. Is it better than lots of other cruise ship dives. IMO it sure is. I don`t know where the OP is used to diving nor their skill level. I do know Stuart Cove`s place provides an average cruise ship driver a good safe diving experience.

• 2 weeks later...
We're on the Allure with what seems a short stop (7 hours)in Nassau. The ship offers a 5 hour dive excursion there. Is the diving in that area worth it? Usually, we book privately, but in this case, wouldn't want to chance missing the ship at the first port. Thoughts?

Most of my dive experience has been on the GBR in Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand. I've only done a couple of locations in the Caribbean, with the Bahamas being my favorite by far. I think it's pretty easy to say this place or that place "sucks", but I think if you love to dive, love getting wet, and you haven't done the Bahamas, then you should. In my view, a bad day of diving, where you supposedly don't see much, is better than no day of diving. On our last trip to the Bahamas I did a couple dives in Nassau with Stuart Cove's, and I had an absolute blast. Sure, compared to Sipadan or the Great Barrier Reef, it's not all that, but so what! I was happy to just be in the water (I have over 1000 dives). Don't let a wet blanket discourage you. If you love to dive, then go for it. The experience will be what you make it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Gotta agree with the Captain on this one... Nassau is our least favorite place to dive in the Caribbean.. But it is all relative to what you are used to.

I think we may actually stay on the ship the next time we're in Nassau... and we never pass up diving. Nassau just needs a few years (like 20) away from the cruise ships so maybe it will get some of it's character back.

As for excursion or independent, most true divers (not the 2 dives a year, and only when we're on vacation - type) will share with you pretty consistently that you'll get a better dive, with better divers, that's FAR less crowded, for less money, with the independents. They live of the word of mouth of other divers... we have never come close to missing the ship using an independent. Never. I have heard that Stuart's Cove in Nassau may be the exception, but honestly we've been trying to avoid Nassau for years so I can't comment on that part. I just happen to hate "cattle boats" that most excursion operators use.