Dolphins- not ship sponsored

Raenstoirm

I am debating the dolphins for our GC day. How far is it from the port (looks to be about 30 minutes?)? How do you get there? Is a taxi the way to go? We would do an early dolphin swim and then head to seven mile beach (or is some other beach better?) I was thinking taxi to the dolphins, bus to the beach (since I think it is really close based on the map) and then a taxi back to the pier. I have no clue how to judge time on a map though, so I may be way off.

Also has anyone done the dolphin swim. Is it clean? Are the animals well cared for? I don't want to give my money to animal abusers. :(

7 mile beach IS the major beach...there are lots of different names of beaches along it's length...

GC has buses...it's $2.50 pp to and from the beach areas...I don't know where the dolphins are...I don't think dolphins really are into being touched and herded...so I don't support that.

I lived in Va. Beach, where wild dolphins would swim up to our sailboats ON THEIR OWN...and we didn't attempt to touch or ride them....this was THEIR idea! So, it was quite interesting, to see those magnificant creatures in the wild.

It will take much longer to get back to the ship than it takes to get anywhere in the morning....only one road...and traffic backs up...leave yourself at least 45 mins. for the return trip.

We're swimming with the dolphins in Grand Cayman. From what I can find, there are 2 places... Dolphin Cove (more natural setting) and Dolphin Discovery (pools).

We'd prefer to do Dolphin Cove since it seems more similar when my husband and I did it at Xcaret in Playa del Carmen, but they wouldn't let us book there on our own since RCCL has a deal with them. Dolphin Discovery would and would give us a discount, but we decided to just book the dolphin and sting ray tour through RCCL.

I'll post some pictures when we return.

Edited by TheGaDawgFan

Dolphin Discovery has a new program that just recently started. If you don't want to lay out the $100+ for the full experience - you can now do a 5 min encounter (you pick from a list that includes a kiss, double dolphin pull, ride, balance a ball, etc.) for $30 or 2 encounters for $45. It is in and out of the water... just you and the dolphin(s) - about 5 min per encounter. AND you get the photos by their photographer (about 8 per person per encounter).

We found this option when our bus tour stopped there. The photographer was going around trying to drum up business.

I was able to get the 4 of us each an opportunity that I couldn't have other wise afforded. It was awesome!