Do men wear tuxes any more on "elegant night"?

midwifejen

DH got a tux several years ago just for formal nights, wore it on a few cruises. It's been a couple of years since our last cruise and the conversations here make it sound as though no one dresses up any more. Do any of you (or your partners) do tuxes, or do you see others in tuxes on recent cruises?

My guess would be 30% do. I love to, but I never pack mine I rent as it's so much easier. I do take my own shoes and socks.

30%? 3 out of 10? I would say it it less than 3 out of 100. In fact, I would say less than 3 out of 500. My last cruise on the conquest, I might of seen 1 tux in my dining room.

30%? 3 out of 10? I would say it it less than 3 out of 100. In fact, I would say less than 3 out of 500. My last cruise on the conquest, I might of seen 1 tux in my dining room.

Yea 3 out of 500 is more like it.. They still wear them but its rare.

Some men still do. People exaggerate on these boards. Plus, there are countless tuxes that are mistaken for suits these days. Tuxes are starting to move further & further away from that cheezy bow-tie & more towards a standard long tie. Because of the standard tie, people think it's just a dark suit when it's actually a tux. It's often very hard to tell the difference, and most people cannot tell just by looking.

I would say to dress how you want to dress and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. He may be in a minority, but who cares! If he wears the tux with a long tie, over 99% of the people who see him will think it's a suit & not a tux.

That one tux you saw, was that the maitre'd?

Bill

No, it was a fellow cruise pax. However, I just called the other 5 people I sailed with to see if they noticed any more than I did and none of them can remember seeing a tux at all.

Would you call these suits or tuxes? If your answer is "suit", then it is certainly a possibility that you have seen many tuxes that you wrote off as only being suits. Especially without the vest under the jacket, almost everybody will call these suits, but they are indeed tuxedos. For someone to say with certainty that they didn't see any tuxes, they pretty much need to have not seen any suits either, unless they were very very very carefully examining everyone who was in what looked to be suits.

7119_1248304934233_1545138_n_zps19ec01db.jpg

I will follow up by saying that as someone who never wears a tux nor a suit to formal dining on cruises anymore, I don't ever look down on those that do, not in the slightest. I'm not jealous either. Some people that go in tuxes/suits might look down on those that don't, but it usually doesn't happen the other way around. So in other words, if you want to wear a suit/tux, even if noone else is, go for it.

Edited by k2excursion

Bring and wear their tux! We were on the Splendor for Christmas and YES! there were quite a few men in tuxes including the three in our party. Women dressed to the 9's and the men too!! It's your cruise, do what you are comfortable with - for us - sometimes we dress sometimes we don't! That's one of the things we love about Carnival - make it your own!

DH got a tux several years ago just for formal nights, wore it on a few cruises. It's been a couple of years since our last cruise and the conversations here make it sound as though no one dresses up any more. Do any of you (or your partners) do tuxes, or do you see others in tuxes on recent cruises?

I've seen one here & there. My husband was in the orchestra in high school, I couldn't even get him into a tux for our wedding.