AN "INTERESTING" THREAD

So I wanted to come up with something interesting since we've been accused of being so boring lately.

What interesting things have happened on your cruises? Here are some of ours.

We had some "interesting" tablemates once. We had to find the humor so we started taking bets on which one of them would be drunk and pick a fight and storm out of the dining room first? And yes, it was annoying but you got to look for humor in icky stuff!

Last year we saw something strange in the ocean and the Captain turned the Rhapsody around and went back to investigate. It appeared to be a hatch from an oil rig that had blown way out at sea - this was after all the bad storms last year. It looked like the entire ship was lined up watching to see if it was empty. My clue was that all the water in the solarium pool sloshed to one side when the ship made that turn. I didn't know they had that kind of turn radius!

Our first cruise Regis Philbin was down the hall. Mr Wolf is 6'5 so it was highly amusing riding in the elevator together or meeting him in the hallway. Then a few weeks later he was on David Letterman lamenting that he didn't have a moment's peace on his cruise because people kept coming up to talk to him. We saw them frequently on board, including meals, and never saw anyone bother him. It was funny - he was doing a routine about it - but we knew he was exaggerating quite a bit!

OK - your turns.

So I wanted to come up with something interesting since we've been accused of being so boring lately.

What interesting things have happened on your cruises? Here are some of ours.

We had some "interesting" tablemates once. We had to find the humor so we started taking bets on which one of them would be drunk and pick a fight and storm out of the dining room first? And yes, it was annoying but you got to look for humor in icky stuff!

Last year we saw something strange in the ocean and the Captain turned the Rhapsody around and went back to investigate. It appeared to be a hatch from an oil rig that had blown way out at sea - this was after all the bad storms last year. It looked like the entire ship was lined up watching to see if it was empty. My clue was that all the water in the solarium pool sloshed to one side when the ship made that turn. I didn't know they had that kind of turn radius!

Our first cruise Regis Philbin was down the hall. Mr Wolf is 6'5 so it was highly amusing riding in the elevator together or meeting him in the hallway. Then a few weeks later he was on David Letterman lamenting that he didn't have a moment's peace on his cruise because people kept coming up to talk to him. We saw them frequently on board, including meals, and never saw anyone bother him. It was funny - he was doing a routine about it - but we knew he was exaggerating quite a bit!

OK - your turns.

He and Kelly seemed to be annoyed about people talking to them on the cruise last month, as well.

Regis was on the Galaxy out of Charleston in March 03 with us. Everytime we saw him, it did seem that guests were gawking at him, but he always seemed polite when we encountered him. My mom did note that Joy was rather unpleasant in the spa, saying that she was going to complain about the spa to the Captain at dinner. The CD interviewed Regis in the theatre one day at sea towards the end of the cruise and he was quite funny. He even sang a song.

While we were docked in Nassau on the Majesty we got to watch a couple on the Fantasy or Fascination ( I can't remember) change for dinner in their stateroom. Gotta love those oceanview rooms, just don't forget to close the curtain in port.lol

Amy

just 6 more days until Monarch!!!

When we were on the Jubilee in Alaska in 1999, we saw the crew rush to the front and almost drop anchor (we were already up that way) as the Captain called all the officers to the bridge. Had we not been able to coast to a stop, they would have had to either drop anchor or we would have crashed into the entrance to the College Fjords. They had a problem with the thrusters. We had to abandond the idea of going into the fjords so they could repair and test the thrusters.

You know, I'm starting to think we didn't have such a great cruise on the Rhapsody afterall. I mean, we made ALL our Ports, no one got murdered or fell overboard, no kids got in trouble and their families kicked off, no one got upset that someone wore the wrong clothes to the Dining Room. Geez, we should all get our money back for having such a boring cruise! :D Oh, and we didn't run into any docks or run over any scuba divers in a marine sanctuary.

Mike

http://www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

On our new years cruise, brilliance, the last night, someone spotted a small boat with abot 8 people waving us down. The ship stopped and their small blown up raft was beginning to fill with water. They were from cuba. The crew gave them food & water & blankets, but made them wait in the boat tied to the ship until the coast guard arrived. It was interesting to me, but told it happens quite often.

In `03 we did the Serenade repo cruise from Philly to San Juan. As we were having coffee on our aft balcony and preparing to depart St. Thomas, a passenger on the deck above us gave us a sailaway serenade with his bagpipes. The more he played, the more people came out to listen and applaude (Amazing Grace got the biggest cheers). What a pleasant way to wind down a wonderful cruise.

I had never heard of a harbor pilot until our last cruise. My DH happens to look out of our cabin porthole & sees a small boat adjacent & a man jumping from our ship to that one. He freaks out, thinking its terrorists or something, until the boat pulls away & we see the words "Harbor pilot" on the back. Oh my gosh, we laughed so hard & again whenever we think about it. Good thing we didn't have a balcony or he would've jumped down and punched the cr** out of them. God bless the USA:D :D

Not a very nice story, but still interesting.

On our Honeymoon on Voyager, we stopped in Labadee. There was a young man who was into extreme sports. He had broken his neck while Parasailing a number of years ago. It must have affected his life, but he was enjoying his life even with his problems. He too was on honeymoon.

He decided that he wanted to Parasail again, and signed massive waivers and stacks of forms from RCCL about accidents, insurance, liability etc. They let him have a go, (good for RCCL, they didn't ruin his cruise) but there was a problem with the landing from the back of the boat. As he was a paraplegic, he had no control of arms or legs, and no feeling (luckily).

Upon landing he smashed both legs, really badly. He was brought back on-board Voyager, and we eventually set sail. He remained in the infirmary, while we continued. He insisted he was not in pain, and wanted to stay on-board until we reached Grand Cayman, and not be dropped off/airlifted off to Jamaica which was our next port of call. He stayed on board, and when we arrived at GC, the first tender was waiting to remove him to hospital for lots of surgery on his smashed legs.

Even with the personal problems he had, that man wanted to enjoy his life, and do things that he enjoyed. A lesson for us all.

We sailed Grandeur in July of 2004. Our tablemates were an odd assortment of a young girl about 21-22 who this was supposed to be her honeymoon cruise but wedding got called off ( never heard why) so she kept the cruise but brought along 3 older males, one was her uncle & 2 friends. well they didnt talk a whole lot but answered questions if you asked them. On the last night of the cruise only the oldest guy showed up for dinner ( he might of been in his 50's) and as we were giving the waiter our tips ( there was 4 of us) The guy gave all of us ink pens, that when you pushed the top down to write it shocked you!! electric shock pens!! cant figure that one out!!!

You know, I'm starting to think we didn't have such a great cruise on the Rhapsody afterall. I mean, we made ALL our Ports, no one got murdered or fell overboard, no kids got in trouble and their families kicked off, no one got upset that someone wore the wrong clothes to the Dining Room. Geez, we should all get our money back for having such a boring cruise! :D Oh, and we didn't run into any docks or run over any scuba divers in a marine sanctuary.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

You should ask for a refund or a free cruise :)

Two years ago we were on the Galaxy out of Baltimore. Early in the cruise we heard the piano near the Martini Bar, playing. We just assumed it was the regular piano player, but it turned out to be one of the passengers. He was a young boy about 11 or 12 and was quite talented. He started gathering a crowd and throughout the week played quite often and everyone loved it.

A couple of years ago on a Carnival Triumph cruise to the Caribbean we were diverted out to sea as a hurricane was going to his the Carolinas the next day.

On the second full day out we were diverted to Bermuda due to a sick passenger. The woman had to have been gravely ill since she was tied down to one of those baskets that the fire departments use to lower people from buildings.

We never did find out if she pulled through, I just hope that she did.

We were on Galaxy two years ago out of Baltimore and a pregnant women got sick and they had to take her off the ship by helecopter. The chopper stayed over the ship a good 20-30 minutes trying to get things right. This was off of the coast of Miami at about 8:00 in the evening. Her travel mates had to wait until the next morning to get off the ship in Key West. Never did find out exactly what was wrong with the woman.

Mark

Not a very nice story, but still interesting.

On our Honeymoon on Voyager, we stopped in Labadee. There was a young man who was into extreme sports. He had broken his neck while Parasailing a number of years ago. It must have affected his life, but he was enjoying his life even with his problems. He too was on honeymoon.

He decided that he wanted to Parasail again, and signed massive waivers and stacks of forms from RCCL about accidents, insurance, liability etc. They let him have a go, (good for RCCL, they didn't ruin his cruise) but there was a problem with the landing from the back of the boat. As he was a paraplegic, he had no control of arms or legs, and no feeling (luckily).

Upon landing he smashed both legs, really badly. He was brought back on-board Voyager, and we eventually set sail. He remained in the infirmary, while we continued. He insisted he was not in pain, and wanted to stay on-board until we reached Grand Cayman, and not be dropped off/airlifted off to Jamaica which was our next port of call. He stayed on board, and when we arrived at GC, the first tender was waiting to remove him to hospital for lots of surgery on his smashed legs.

Even with the personal problems he had, that man wanted to enjoy his life, and do things that he enjoyed. A lesson for us all.

Wow!!!

I hope everything turned out well with his surgeries.

Well....on one of ours....one set of our tablemates it turns out likes to get "free cruises" and to their own admission....something "terrible" happens to poor Herb and they gladly take from RCCL free cruises to compensate for the damage done to poor Herb!!!! I was astonished at this.....but probably him and others do this....and RCCL is stuck (and other cruise lines)...with compensating versus putting up with the "sue-ing!""""""......

Lou

Mike

Any 15 month old potty trained twins in the pool???

How wonderful is the Rhapsody that it can pour buckets in 2 out of 3 ports (July 17 cruise) and yet people said it was a wonderful cruise!! My friend told me it was the best freaken time she ever had. LOL

I hope this was interesting enough. I can make up stuff if THAT bored person on another thread wants some more excitement ;)

Bonnie....you mean people have been making stuff up so they can have an interesting thread. My gosh, I could never do that. By the way....did I tell you about the Smurf that disappeared on our cruise....there was just a smudge on the door going into the Solarium. Never found the little fellow, but there were reports of someone finding a blue stain on the carpet in one of the cabins, but everyone thought it was just one of those foo-foo drinks!

Mike

Not to be harsh, but a guy breaks his neck and becomes a paraplegic parasailing, then is foolhardy enough to want to go again, even though he is less physically capable then he was the first time, when he nearly killed himself?

Shame on RCI for letting him go (if it was their parasailing excursion) and shame on him for endangering himself and compromising his current quality of life even more.

Kudos to him for going on a cruise, getting married, having a honeymoon; but did he have to parasail again?

I don't see very much 'uplifting' in this story! :(

Bonnie....you mean people have been making stuff up so they can have an interesting thread. My gosh, I could never do that. By the way....did I tell you about the Smurf that disappeared on our cruise....there was just a smudge on the door going into the Solarium. Never found the little fellow, but there were reports of someone finding a blue stain on the carpet in one of the cabins, but everyone thought it was just one of those foo-foo drinks!

Mike

ROFL

Mike

Speaking of Smurfs; did anyone besides me find it very odd that there was only one girl Smurf? Where did all the other Smurfs come from? Were there

ever going to be any more Smurfs? Very odd little community.:confused:

celtic

Archived