AN "INTERESTING" THREAD

OK, Trishalee, just for you, here's another story.

I took a transatlantic from the UK to the US, with two 11 year old girls. Four wild days in London, then the nice mellow trip back.

They allowed kids in the Solarium in the afternoon from 3:00 - 4:30 (it was freezing cold and stormy on the outside decks), so part of our daily routine was to go there every afternoon for a little swim. One day, while the girls were in the pool, the elderly gentleman near us (between the girls and I) casually whipped off his swimsuit and slowly, thoroughly, and lovingly dried 'the boys'. And not to be too graphic, but yes, his 'ears' hung low, he coulda thrown them over his shoulder like a continental soldier, as the camp song says. Then he casually wrapped his towel around his waist, and made his way out into the public areas. (To this date, when I see someone onboard with a towel wrapped around them, I wonder if they are nekkid underneath!)

The little girls missed it - thank goodness - but unfortunately I have that image burned into my retinas forever!

(PS I'm not a prude, and I generally enjoy the human form, and I understand European standards about nudity are different from Americans' - but Oh my, it was a scary sight!)

I had never heard of a harbor pilot until our last cruise. My DH happens to look out of our cabin porthole & sees a small boat adjacent & a man jumping from our ship to that one. He freaks out, thinking its terrorists or something, until the boat pulls away & we see the words "Harbor pilot" on the back. Oh my gosh, we laughed so hard & again whenever we think about it. Good thing we didn't have a balcony or he would've jumped down and punched the cr** out of them. God bless the USA:D :D

We had heard of this, but have never seen it until our last cruise. Once the pilot boat pulled beside us in Cozumel and the pilot got off, their boat began to smoke really bad. We thought it might blow up or just sink right there.:eek:

Then on our first cruise after we left Cozumel we stopped and turned back. We finally stopped and a small boat pulled up beside us. They took someone off in a stretcher. Never really heard an "official" story on this but the rumors were flying.

Well, I had a busy cruise about a year and a half ago on the Legend of the Sea on the Xmas sailing in Hawaii.

1. When I was getting off the ship to go do some shopping, I saw that a guy in his 20s was in handcuff just off the ship. Found of that he was putting Ecstasy in girls drinks on the ship.

2. One of the older passagers died on a shore excustion. Had a heart attack climing on of the volcanos.

3. One of the tenders ran over a snorkler. He was OK.

4. A 12 year old girl got drunk and passed out in the teen club. They had to code alpha (call for medical staff to come) her and had to do an emergency page for the parents though the whole ship during one of the shows.

5. We had to turn around from our last port and take a lady who had a heart attack on the ship to land via tender.

6. The last night, we had to airlift a crew member who got hurt on to land. I was kind of scary since the seas were rocky and the they were doing it from the back where the rock climbing wall is. I am telling you I though they were going to hit the rock climbing wall.

Yes, this all happened in a 10 day cruise.

Then last time I was on the Millie, there was a fire in one of the crew cabins.

Well lets see now I propose to my wife onboard the Rhapsody Mexican Riviera cruise in 2000!! We were married in June of that year.

And interestingly enough we are still married and cruised again on the Rhapsody last April. If this tradition holds I guess we willsail again on the Rhapsody in 2010, if she is stillaround by then..or better yet if we are still around:D

Well, I had a busy cruise about a year and a half ago on the Legend of the Sea on the Xmas sailing in Hawaii.

1. When I was getting off the ship to go do some shopping, I saw that a guy in his 20s was in handcuff just off the ship. Found of that he was putting Ecstasy in girls drinks on the ship.

2. One of the older passagers died on a shore excustion. Had a heart attack climing on of the volcanos.

3. One of the tenders ran over a snorkler. He was OK.

4. A 12 year old girl got drunk and passed out in the teen club. They had to code alpha (call for medical staff to come) her and had to do an emergency page for the parents though the whole ship during one of the shows.

5. We had to turn around from our last port and take a lady who had a heart attack on the ship to land via tender.

6. The last night, we had to airlift a crew member who got hurt on to land. I was kind of scary since the seas were rocky and the they were doing it from the back where the rock climbing wall is. I am telling you I though they were going to hit the rock climbing wall.

Yes, this all happened in a 10 day cruise.

Then last time I was on the Millie, there was a fire in one of the crew cabins.

Yikes!

On one of our cruises, DH and I went to the photo gallery to check out our pictures. Couldn’t find ours, but enjoyed looking at all the others. I found it odd that in a good number of the photos I was looking at, the passengers had miserable expressions and resembled a rogues gallery or “wanted” posters from the days of the old west. And no, they were not supposed to be “theme” pictures. Not only were the people gloomy looking, some looked downright grumpy. One fellow in particular was frowning and with his old fashioned long droopy mustache he could have stepped right out of the movie “The good, the bad and the ugly”. In a different photo of a couple taken in the dining room, the woman was leering sideways giving her husband the evil eye, while he had an equally angry expression on his face. As I tried to imagine if the ship’s photographers actually thought these passengers would pay for those horrible photos, I had a hard time suppressing the giggles, and suddenly burst out laughing. A voice on the other side of the photo wall asked if we would share the good joke with her. As she came over, imagine my shock (and embarrassment) to see it was the “evil eye” lady herself. I made some feeble excuse and hurried to the restroom to compose myself. To this day, I’ve never seen so many horrible photos of the passengers as I saw that time on that one wall. (What do they do with all the rejected photos, anyway?)

SeaBaby

great thread, thanks budaman for turning me onto it. here's a silly story from one of my cruises...

4 of my gal pals were sharing a room (never want to do that again!) on the brand new Carnival Destiny! We were quite intoxicated after partying that day and i went to bed at 2 am. one of my friends stayed out until 3 am. well, at 4 am she wakes me up saying she thinks she pee'd her pants, her bed is all wet! i was like what?? the other 2 roomies are sound asleep.so she makes me put my hand on her bed! being the drunk friend that i am, i do and it's soaking wet. as i touch it, my head gets wet. we turn on the light and see that the sprinkler system above is leaking. so we call the purser's office and man #1 appears. he can't fix it, so man #2 arrives, then man #3 and #4 arrive. they start taking out the ceiling panels and wall panels and are banging up a storm. roomies 3 and 4 awaken and don't want to get out of their beds in minimal clothing with 4 guys speaking 4 different languages and not knowing what to do. Man #5, $6 and $7 show up to help! Finally, all 4 of us move out to the hallway (those cabins are quite tiny with that much banging and no actual s*x occurring!). 2.5 hours later, the room is still leaking and the cabin steward arrived with coffee and danish for our carpet picnic. we all went up on deck to watch the sunrise and see ourselves sail into St. Thomas (beautiful day it was!). Finally at 8 am they had it fixed but our cabin was SOAKED. they replaced the soaked bed and had 2 huge generators inside/outside our cabin to try to dry the carpet. our neighbors up and down the hallway were so pissed at us thinking we were having a wild party (i don't know what kind of banging they do, but wrenches and hammers? hello!) all night, but then they saw the disaster. the ship was full to capacity and they couldn't move us to any other cabin. we got free excurions of our choice for the day (we went to St. John and it was THE BEST!). upon return from the day, we each received 25% off our next cruise. not one of us complained the whole time, we laughed and played cards in the hallway (since we couldn't even use our bathroom) for all that time and just made it a fun time!! and we sure did have fun!:D the irony, we didn't sail on carnival in time to use the 25% off coups. oh well!

Oh, Travelgrrl! Now I'll be just like you anytime I see a guy on the ship with a towel around his waist - and there usually are a few. I was so happy to come back on Monday and see more posts. This is my FAVORITE thread of all time! Let's hear some more -there must be thousands out there.:D

Jo - that one made me laugh. Good one.

Bonnie and the smurf club - I think the Ralph could have been blue at one time. I think it was so ancient that it had faded to gray. Now that I think about it, I might have heard evil giggling whenever we commented on it as we passed by. things that make you go "hhmmm"

and thanks to all for keeping this thread alive. I am really enjoying everyon'e stories.

alcava - Please keep your cruises posted in your signature, no offense, but I think I want to avoid being on the same ship. LOL

great thread, thanks budaman for turning me onto it. here's a silly story from one of my cruises...

4 of my gal pals were sharing a room (never want to do that again!) on the brand new Carnival Destiny! We were quite intoxicated after partying that day and i went to bed at 2 am. one of my friends stayed out until 3 am. well, at 4 am she wakes me up saying she thinks she pee'd her pants, her bed is all wet! i was like what?? the other 2 roomies are sound asleep.so she makes me put my hand on her bed! being the drunk friend that i am, i do and it's soaking wet. as i touch it, my head gets wet. we turn on the light and see that the sprinkler system above is leaking. so we call the purser's office and man #1 appears. he can't fix it, so man #2 arrives, then man #3 and #4 arrive. they start taking out the ceiling panels and wall panels and are banging up a storm. roomies 3 and 4 awaken and don't want to get out of their beds in minimal clothing with 4 guys speaking 4 different languages and not knowing what to do. Man #5, $6 and $7 show up to help! Finally, all 4 of us move out to the hallway (those cabins are quite tiny with that much banging and no actual s*x occurring!). 2.5 hours later, the room is still leaking and the cabin steward arrived with coffee and danish for our carpet picnic. we all went up on deck to watch the sunrise and see ourselves sail into St. Thomas (beautiful day it was!). Finally at 8 am they had it fixed but our cabin was SOAKED. they replaced the soaked bed and had 2 huge generators inside/outside our cabin to try to dry the carpet. our neighbors up and down the hallway were so pissed at us thinking we were having a wild party (i don't know what kind of banging they do, but wrenches and hammers? hello!) all night, but then they saw the disaster. the ship was full to capacity and they couldn't move us to any other cabin. we got free excurions of our choice for the day (we went to St. John and it was THE BEST!). upon return from the day, we each received 25% off our next cruise. not one of us complained the whole time, we laughed and played cards in the hallway (since we couldn't even use our bathroom) for all that time and just made it a fun time!! and we sure did have fun!:D the irony, we didn't sail on carnival in time to use the 25% off coups. oh well!

Hey, I saw that movie!

If you haven't seen the Marx Brothers in "A Night At The Opera", rent it. There is a classic stateroom scence that looks a lot like your experience.

Geez, those guys were funny.

celtic

Whew!!................................They finally let me go. The Smurfs aboard the Rhapsody got wind of our concerns over what has been happening and sent up some of their goons to keep me quiet. They want to handle this episode themselves without any outside interference. So, they tied me up and made me watch reruns of the Love Boat for the past 48 hours....yes it was rough but I survived. There last words were....Drop it or face 72 hours of Cruise II and Ghost Ship. Sorry folks, but I'm not strong enough for that so we're going to have to let the little Blue folks have their way.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

PS....had to do this, Boards have been really depressing and filled with complaints today. Felt we needed some levity.

Jo - that one made me laugh. Good one.

Bonnie and the smurf club - I think the Ralph could have been blue at one time. I think it was so ancient that it had faded to gray. Now that I think about it, I might have heard evil giggling whenever we commented on it as we passed by. things that make you go "hhmmm"

and thanks to all for keeping this thread alive. I am really enjoying everyon'e stories.

alcava - Please keep your cruises posted in your signature, no offense, but I think I want to avoid being on the same ship. LOL

Wolfie: I am not going to comment on a faded gray Ralph that was blue at one time. teehee

Mike: In case you haven't had enough and miss it..Love, exciting and newwwwwww, come aboarrrrrd, we're expecting youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Jody: You go girl! To have that happen and come away smiling without pursuing a class action suit shows what a classy lady you are!!

you guys are cracking me up!

thanks bonnie - we had a ball. we were lucky where our cabin was located - right by the 2nd set of doors that opened to this hallway. since the floor was soaked through, they opened the doors and we sat on the floor having our carpet picnic with all the banging! hey, take the lemons and made lemonade and add some vodka - it's all good!!!! i hate complainers, come on peeps, you're on vacation. a bad day at sea is still better than an awesome day at work!!!!

the love boat soon will be making another tour...come aboard, we're expecting you...mikeeeeeeeeeeee, sound familiar???????

celtic, never heard of those movies, too funny. that was an actual account of what happened to us, it was funny!

and glad you enjoy wolf. at 1st i didn't think i had any good stories and then i was like OMG, how could i forget! i could tell you stories when i was 23, on my first cruise with 5 other girlfriends and we met 3 guys from chicago...but i think i'll be quiet about that week! let's just say 1 guy and I are still best of friends after 18 years! what a priceless time that was!:D

One of the most interesting things to happen on a cruise was on my first cruise (Majesty of the Seas - 1995). My wife convinced me that a cruise would be "awesome". I thought otherwise - seven minutes on a ship let alone 7 days was WAY too weird for me. But, being our honeymoon, I went.

SO, the first night at dinner, we are the first to arrive at a table for six. Another couple comes and sits across from us. They are quiet but friendly. He is wearing a button on his shirt with a picture of a little boy. Being the inquisitive type, I ask "Is that your little boy?". He offers a reply but my wife doesn't hear him. Being polite, she simply says "Oh, that's nice". His reply was that they had lost their son in the Oklahoma City bombing. My wife was so embarrassed and we were so shocked - how do you respond to that? Here we are all happy as newlyweds and they are grieving their lost son. Not a great way to start a cruise.

THEN, the next couple shows up. We figure "okay - maybe their story will be less disheartening". Well, turns out the guy is in love with her, she is noti n love with him but figured "If he wants to take me on a cruise - why would I not go?".

Needless to say, our expectations of being with other newlyweds was seriosuly dashed. Surprisingly, it was one of the best tables we have ever had. The couple who lost their son, despite thier grieving, really had a good time - came to the shows, went danicng, etc. The other couple were just fun to watch - him pining for her, her leading him on. He actually turned out to be a good friend and we ended up at his wedding (different woman) a few years later. Certainly made for an interesting first cruise experience

(Two years later on Grandeur, got a big table for 12 - lots of variety):)

CCC

Needless to say, our expectations of being with other newlyweds was seriosuly dashed. Surprisingly, it was one of the best tables we have ever had. The couple who lost their son, despite thier grieving, really had a good time - came to the shows, went danicng, etc. The other couple were just fun to watch - him pining for her, her leading him on. He actually turned out to be a good friend and we ended up at his wedding (different woman) a few years later. Certainly made for an interesting first cruise experience

(Two years later on Grandeur, got a big table for 12 - lots of variety):)

CCC

Now, THAT'S funny!

oh my gosh canuck, that is a freaky table experience. glad to say i haven't had that issue. once had a table with people who barely, and i mean barely, spoke english. they were very odd too (hubby/wife 2 kids). we ended up changing our table the next day and when we saw our table, they had changed also, go figure! ended up with lots of fun though!:D

We were on the Serenade this past March and at one of the ports there was a P&O ship next to us. When we were leaving port they gave us a HUGE sendoff. Their whole ship was on deck sing and waving to us with their cruise director leading them. It was the most touching send-off ever!:p

Archived